Sunday, July 5, 2009

BECOMING A PUBLISHER OF PEACE - MORE THAN JUST A VOICE IN THE WILDERNESS

Some thoughts as I ponder being a citizen of my country and how that citizenship fits in with my belief in the Universal Brotherhood of mankind.

What is it that I really believe about the meaning of patriotism?

How precious is peace to me?

What are the most effective means to safeguard lasting peace for our children?

When is a government performing effectual political acts which will lead to lasting peace?

When is the government becoming a deterrent or an aid to the growth of every individual?

How often do I fall into the trap of elevating selfish and meaningless pursuits at the peril of destroying peace with my peers?

Are my personal priorities balanced by the needs of the larger community in which I reside?

How often do the results of my efforts lead to meaningful and productive peace among men?

Amid the bunting and blare attending our celebration of we might all benefit from a few moments of contemplation; remembering that this is a day to become independent of shackles, a day to gain freedom from burdening restraints, a day of liberation from cowardly controls. We may eventually come to realize that one of the byproducts of seeking to become a publisher of peace is that we may also have made the principle of true our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment