Sunday, February 7, 2010

INTENTIONS

My mother gave most of her advice and counsel in the form of short proverbial statements. One of those sayings that was often directed to me; although I am certain it was totally undeserved and misdirected, was; “the road to hell is paved with good intentions. As in, “you didn’t finish your homework…the road to…” or “you didn’t brush your teeth…the road…” or “you went to sleep without saying your prayers…the…” or “you didn’t mow the lawn…” This all took place before I reached my teenage years, so you can imagine how many times “the road to hell is paved with good intentions” came up in our verbal exchanges during those ‘rebellious’ years. I'm not sure, but I may have had scaring dreams about how near the gates of fire my well paved path had been laid. Lest this self deprecating confession session becomes the major issue of this paper, let me get to the central issue I wish to write about today.

Although I think I understood and still understand the meaning of my mother’s words, I also think because of the frequency I had of experiencing the ringing of this phrase in my ears, I have been moved to ponder during numerous moments upon the principle of ‘intentions’ and where they might or might not lead.

First: I don’t think all intentions are good, but come in a rather endless continuum ranging from the most righteous to the most evil.

Second: I think that intentions which are never acted upon affect the non diligent creator of the intention regardless of which side of the continuum the intention might be found and that the paved stones do not necessarily always lead in a downward direction.

Third: I don’t think that with our limited wisdom we are gifted with the clairvoyance to know where our self initiated intentions lie on the intentions continuum or where they might lead whether they are acted upon or not.

Fourth: I think that there are many very good intentions that we think of, that never should be acted upon since one’s actions might lead to the loss of an opportunity for a brother or sister to grow.

Fifth: I think that there are many people who have very bad intentions and are continually active in trying to bring them to fruition and that through acting upon these bad intentions they put more stones on their paths to Hades than good intentions which are never acted upon.

I have noticed that the intentions of others whether they act upon them or not or whether they be good or bad have little lasting affect upon my life unless I make allowance for that affect and any residual emotion which I might allow to linger.

Seventh: I think that those most deeply blessed or cursed as a result of any intention are the creators and actuators of that intention and others receive only temporary and partial blessings or cursings.

Eighth: I eventually have come to understand that the place that Dante explored in his ‘Hell’ and frightened me in my young conscious and unconscious mind, does not exist nor ever has existed. So I came to wonder whether by my intentions I was paving a way to somewhere or to nowhere. If the answer turned out to be nowhere then the question of ‘intentions’ was of no importance all along.

Ninth: On the other hand, in Colombia it has often been said; “the intention is the only thing that counts.”

My intention in reporting about my pondering upon ‘intentions’ was never meant to excuse my slothfulness nor to denigrate the borrowed and oft repeated wisdom of my mother, but I have discovered that is just the way I flow through life; forever driven to go deeper and broader until I finally reach a point where I have to ask myself if what I have been moved to ponder about is really worth the conclusions I have come to. Thankfully, I generally find that some growth has taken place and that I arrive at a place in my thoughts which, if hearkened to, places a small stone on the Highway to Heaven.

What would I inscribe upon the small stone which I have finally felt comfortable in adding to the pathway to Heaven after having contemplated over the years upon intentions? How do I fulfill my desire and feel secure in being on the positive side of the intention continuum? How do I know that I am laying stones which will guide me back to My Father’s presence? How do I know that the stepping stones I am laying will not become stumbling blocks to my neighbors?

At the present time in my journey this is what I find written upon this small stone: “I must diligently strive to have Spirit guided intentions and Spirit guided actions which I should endeavor to fulfill to the extent I might currently be capable. That through diligent obedience to this Spirit influenced direction of intentions and actions I will be lengthening my path leading to a very real place which my Father in Heaven has prepared. That while I focus on my concerns of constructing this heavenward path, I do not in so doing create obstacles which my brothers and sisters might find difficult to overcome during their Heavenly homeward journey.”

19 comments:

  1. About the blog, e-mail may still be your best bet considering what you're wanting. A blog is more of a go-to thing where as the e-mails are directly delivered. One thing you could do is create the blog as a place to have all the thoughts, current and previous, consolidated into one place. Then, in the e-mail blast, you can include a link that directs the readers to the blog so they can dig back into previous entries and read ones they may have missed or have deleted from their e-mail.

    Just an idea. It may end up being more work than you're willing to do. I was just thinking about how people could access previous messages and also how people not on your mailing list could receive your inspirational thoughts. But you mentioned not wanting to "lose control of them" so maybe you're intention is to keep it in a closed circle of readers, which is fine. The blog is kind of the opposite of that—quite the opposite, actually.

    Rod Santiano

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss your inspirational thought this week, looking forward for next week
    Karen Gomez Tamai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you taking the week off from your thoughts? I like to do that now and again...
    Christine Riley

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will really miss it.... it's become part of our Sunday ritual.... Thanks for all you do
    Take a day off!

    Gardner Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just happy to see that you got "Pensamientos" right!!! :) Please keep them coming!

    Have a good day,
    Sal Zavala Jr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri Janes Scott commented on your note "Thankful":

    "Congratulations! No WONDER you had no "Thoughts" this week! You're celebrating!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely will miss it:)
    Have a great week and Happy Valentine's Day!!

    Jancithe Mithchell

    ReplyDelete
  8. you want somebody else to do it for you- I've got lots of thoughts, such as why Jackson Pollack is so revered, how come hip-hop is even considered a lyrical musical source, how come girls LaCrosse can't be as violent as boys, why the 3 perf acadamy format never succeeded with major film studios, the vagarities of the SU vs Solex English fuel system, why Wendy's tasted better when they all dressed like Wendy, which is a more boring float- the Truckee or the Provo- even something religious, such as trying to answer the question do the best looking sister missionaries serve in the Temple Square mission?, Is the annual Deseret Duel between the U and the Y really a religious war----just let me know, be happy to help
    Brent Troutner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bill,
    I've been terribly derelict in responding to the very uplifting and appreciated thoughts you so generously pass on to me. I enjoy them immensely.
    We miss our association and feel glad to hear from you in this way.
    Blessings,
    Sue Ann Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I hope you have a good vacation. I enjoy reading your thoughts each Sunday and share them with a sister-in-law.
    Look forward to seeing them again.
    Maggie Harline

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, you have really opened yourself up to abuse with the subject line and message. I will refrain....
    Marvin Altom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Full View
    Re: No Thoughts
    ...
    From:
    daisy ryan
    ...
    View Contact
    To: Bill Riley
    Thank you and I am going to miss it. Just want you to know that
    yesterday class was really good. It is amazing how you help me reflex
    on my life and realize that I have so much to learn and grow to return
    back to our Father in Heaven. This life is never ending even though
    we know it is just a brief moment of eternity.

    Daisy Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bill,
    Like an undocumented "illegal"; thinking without documentation? You may fool some but don't suppose for a moment that you fool me, you're still thinking. The truth will out!
    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I for one will not be able to survive:) You and Kathy have a great weekend!!

    Rosemary Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aloha nui, Bro. Riley!

    I have been enjoying your "Thoughts" each week. I have sent some to my Daughter-in-Love, who is not a member of the Church, but is investigating, carefully, slowly, thoughtfully. (It will happen!)

    Just wanted to say that I hope the Colombians are right! Seems like I have LOTS of great intentions but many of them never get acted upon!

    Hugs to Kathy and yourself!

    Mahalo,

    Shannon Kanekoa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the thought from Colombia, because I am always filled with good intentions!
    Kirt Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brother Riley,

    Have you thought about publishing your thoughts on a blog in addition to or rather than an e-mail blast? You would have a—possibly—greater audience (if desired) and all your thoughts would be located in one place for people to read. Just a thought. I could help you set it up if that's what you wanted to do. It's super easy... and free.

    P.S. Forgive my out-of-the-loopness, but are you serving a couples mission or are you a mission president or what? I didn't even know you were gone until just a few weeks ago when you sent some pictures.
    Rod Santiano

    ReplyDelete