Sunday, March 7, 2010

WHENCE COMEST THOU? – WHERE ART THOU? – WHERE GOEST THOU?

There are three questions found in the scriptures which I would like to use as a springboard for my thoughts today.

The first is in Genesis 3:9 where He who knows all things calls to Adam and inquires “where art thou?” It was obvious to me that He who knows the movements of the universe would surely have known where Adam was hiding. Some time ago I was struck with the idea that perhaps the Lord wanted Adam to take inventory of where he was during that moment of his probationary passage.

The second is in the Pearl of Great Price in Moses 4:15 where we find the Lord asking Adam “where goest thou?” in place of the “where art thou?” which is found in the Old Testament. Here we find that the all knowing Being who surely knew Adam’s end from his beginnings was asking about his next step. Once again it seems to me He wants Adam to think about what was going to be his next step now that he had partaken of the forbidden fruit.

The third is found in Job 1:7 and again in the second chapter of the same book. Both times the question is addressed to Satan. The question is “whence comest thou?” A very interesting question, but I want to deal more with the answer than the question. It is another question we could use to help us see the need for constant introspection, since where we come from has a great effect upon where we are. However, Satan’s reply is very interesting. He replies “from going to and fro upon the earth.” We find this same ‘to and fro’ used by Paul in his letter to the Ephesians when he uses the expression to indicate one who is continually driven by every wind of doctrine, in these words identifying a life of indecision and vacillation; identifying one who not only doesn’t know where they are, and therefore can have little or no idea where they are going, but also one who has little hope of reaching any kind of meaningful destination.

I believe the Lord wants us to be constant in the measuring of our current status and where the next step we take will lead us. I believe he wants us to know that by not being diligent in taking inventory we will likely become wanderers upon the earth, shifting here and there with no real progress taking place. I believe if we are not ever alert to where we are and where we are going we will probably awake on the morrow finding ourselves in a ‘Groundhog Day’ existence or even worse, further from our goals than we were the previous morning.

Let me give you some examples I am thinking about which will probably reveal more about where I am and where I am going than where anyone else might be or where they might be headed.

When I take a step into the area of self satisfaction and begin to glory in my own works have I not moved significantly away from humility and recognizing God’s hand in all things?

When I begin to recognize ‘my nothingness’ have I not then started on the difficult journey which should only end when I have been ‘striped of all pride’?

When the concern for my own comfort and enjoyment causes me to become indifferent to the needs of others and I then withhold my ‘widows mite’ do I thereby distance myself from being a loving neighbor?

When I take from my ‘sparse stock of sheaves’ and add to my neighbor’s does not my love for him increase and cause a small breach in the wall of my aloofness which I have built between myself and many of my Heavenly Father’s children?

When I allow dust to accumulate on the ‘best books’ do I not leave underdeveloped the marvelous God given gift of being allowed to gain intelligence and thereby put a cloud of ignorance over a portion of my progression?

When I invite the inspired words of the authors of the ages to plant themselves upon my mind do I not take one more small ‘step into His light?’

When I allow unforgiven acts to fester cankered sores on my soul am I not adding to my list of enemies to whom I increasingly find it difficult to demonstrate charity?

When one act, whether intentional or unintentional against my self esteem is ‘forgotten and forsaken’ do I not find I have increased in my ‘Christlike love?’

I am convinced that there are no steps which we take in mortality which don’t affect our eternalness. During this mortal passage we will be on a constant journey from where we are to somewhere. From where I am I will either become something more or something less than what I was prior to the taking this next step. Sad indeed will I be if after a year of not noting my daily steps I awake and find that I have spent the last 365 days going ‘to and fro’ and I find myself in a traumatic nomadic furrow.

Therefore let us be ever aware of the voice of our All Knowing Heavenly Father ringing in our ears. “WHENCE COMEST THOU?” “WHERE ART THOU?” “WHERE GOEST THOU?” May we then take the necessary daily inventory which will guide us along the correct path leading to the fulfillment of the purposes of our short journey on this earth.

29 comments:

  1. Great message Bill. Perfect chain of thoughts for me heading into the Sabbath. Thank you!

    Dave Farr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great start to this Sunday. I appreciate you sharing.,.

    I now goest to lots of church meetings..

    take care brother,

    Dave Foote

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the most profound one for me Bro. Riley. Thank you for your insight and also for taking us in the scriptures to have it really relate to us. I had never thought about those three passages in that way and I love when I can see something that is right before my eyes, in a new way. Thank you for giving me that gift this morning.

    Rosemary Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friend. Those were wonderful thoughts to ponder on this sabbath morning. It was the first thing I read this morning and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    Pat Franks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this. You are definitely inspired. Mike and I are both sick today and unable to go to church and after we read this just really felt the spirit and are grateful for your insight and help in motivating us to rededicate ourselves to our daily efforts to be better and assess our spiritual progress. Thank you for helping us to feel the spirit today and for your insightful words!

    Becky Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for brightening my day with your insightful comments,

    Bryant

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this with me. It will fit in very nicely with a class I am teaching today regarding Family History. It is always good to hear from you.

    Leona Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful insights about meaningful questions. Thanks. Since I have been back home, I have been inundated with pamphlets discrediting SJC as a sanctuary city. There seems to be a lot of hate out there for those trying to better their lives. Your comments bring me back to the essence of love for ALL my brothers and sisters.
    Will you please add my email address to receive your Sunday message en espanol as well as in English. Thanks.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy reading your weekly thoughts. We were surprised this morning that Misty also received your thoughts when she says that she did not ask to receive your thoughts. Why aren't you and Kathleen a Fan of MDR Ideas on Facebook?

    Dan Reisman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bro Riley!! You have a wonderful way with words!!

    Natalie Bell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gracias por los pensamientos tan profundos que nos enviaste. Seguramente vienene del estudio y la meditacion dedicada y son recibidos con gran aprecio. Me parecen importantes las preguntas que planteas ya que como dices, es tan importante saber de donde venimos, evaluar donde estamos en nuestra etapa terrenal y a donde nos estan llevando las deciciones que tomamos de obrar cada dia en una direccion u otra. Por favor, sigue enviando estos emails inspiradores que nos ayudan a reflexionar y a ser mejores. Saludos a Katheen.

    Con amor

    Diana Gomez-Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this information. It is most spiritual and uplifting, and very well written.

    Faithfully Yours,
    Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  13. A thought provoking post...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again for the thought provoking message this week. I think we do a lot of "to and fro" without much thought. I'm inspired to be more focused on doing better this week.

    The Buccambuso's - John and Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you imagine if everyone in the world contemplated this? Terrific - thank you!

    Kathryn Eisenbise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Bill. I got a lot out of your thoughts and will spend a lot of time puzzeling about my actions .

    Pat Rankin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoughts on a Monday. All of our days are God's days! (A personal orientation)
    Getting out of the trees for a moment and beholding God's forest, God's earth, God's living and static Word.
    Jesus the Christ, the Son of God as revealed in the New Testament truly comes across to me as a transformative intervention into the history of Mankind. Although God's love had been taught before by prophets, Jesus was the one who brought God's love to Man in a way unknown before or since.
    How does this unparalleled biblical figure figure into the teachings of the scriptures as a whole, and thereby into our "christian" (caps) culture? The scriptures appear to offer a mixed message at best, so is it any wonder that christianity through the ages has taken on so many different hues, all held adamantly? Jesus would seem to cap the bible story with a clear message of the redeeming, transforming, triumphant power of Love, God's Love and from it, love of God. But not so fast!
    A little above the forest - A provocative :-\ macro view of scripture:
    The old testament begins in sin and slaughter. The power of Israel through slaughter is only ended when God's people are made impotent to exercise that kind of power. Then came Jesus. But alas the New Testament ended with Revelations and took us back to the promise of mayhem, slaughter and damnation at the hands of God. (an aside: I spoke to a man last week who knows the bible to the point of being able to recall and quote any verse at will to support his views. His views were war like although he would acknowledge love, it seemed to me in a somewhat supporting role to his christian vitriol. He was extreme but I believe, sadly, not far out of the norm.) I never cease to be amazed at the dissonance that we (mankind) are capable of living with.
    The Book of Mormon is little different. The story differs, but as one would expect, God's plan is the same. The book begins, better one should be killed. It proceeds through many wars until ultimately Jesus returns with one of the greatest slaughters since the flood. This is followed by the love and peace of our Lord. Love of God does not, it appears that it cannot, prevail over the nature of man, the massive slaughter at the hands of Jesus not withstanding. Truth must eventually win out. So the Book of Mormon ended with slaughter, more tangible than that of Revelations.

    There are many ways of looking at the earth. There are many parts of the earth in which to dwell and to learn of it. One may behold the desert, the rain forest or the sea. When one withdraws too far, although one may behold great beauty, one loses the ability to distinguish enough detail to complete a meaningful picture, but must rely on impressions already formed at a more detailed level. That's our problem, our perspective is that of one among the trees, looking only at a portion of the truth, or too far removed to distinguish truth in any meaningful detail Damned this human condition. But thank God for the gift of it.
    One hope we have for better understanding, (good understanding being beyond reach), is to examine as much of our earth and from as many perspectives as possible. Many very erudite men (and women) have allowed themselves to be too immersed in only one view of God's creation. Although they have much to teach, they teach much with limited wisdom. Much as if one wishes to learn about amphibians from someone very learned, but who has little understanding of chemistry, or perhaps even of fish or snakes.
    Is there any answer, any solution, or even any hope. If so, perhaps your way: "let us be ever aware of the voice of our All Knowing Heavenly Father ringing in our ears. “WHERE ART THOU?” “WHERE GOEST THOU?” “WHENCE COMEST THOU?” May we then take the necessary daily inventory which will guide us along the correct path leading to the fulfillment of the purposes of our short journey on this earth."

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Postscript. It isn't for want of taking inventory that I suffer as "one who ... can have little or no idea where they are going." Mine is not the "unexamined life". I may err if anything by being over introspective. However my own examination so far has caused me to believe that only God knows where I am going. The best I can do with my own personal limitations (as I understand them) is to find my way day by day while I'm here where He put me and imposed these limitations on me. If there's a place for me, He has "gone to prepare" it. That's something I must leave to him. How I exercise my agency today almost overwhelms me.
    P.P.S. Too much thinking. Too little understanding. Certainly too little doing.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great thoughts -- thank you. I hope you're planning to compile all of these into a book one day!

    Steve Woodbury

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there Bro Riley,
    I really enjoyed your paper last week. Good stuff!

    Matt Smedley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pres. Riley: With regard to Genesis 3:9—“Where at thou?” I have attached, for yoru consideration, page 18-19 of a book recently published by the American Bar Association.

    Blain Andrus

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the thoughts for a sabbath

    Jaycee Hennings

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for sharing these with us each week. I didn't even notice that they needed to be cleaned up:) Have a great week!!

    Jacinthe Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  24. It’s about time-see what a good woman does for you! Just kidding

    Love ya,

    Wendy Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ed,

    This was an awesome thought and was worth forwarding to 13 of my children...but not just for the day...these 'THOUGHTS' are for a lifetime of constant reflection...surely the unexamined life is not worth living!!!

    David Fullmer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi President,

    I have an Thoughts for a Sabbath Day I’ve been meaning to send you—even though it’s only Tuesday.


    In January I was over to the UK on business, and during the trip I was invited to spend the weekend with a family I’ve become quite close to over the last number of years—the Robbs.

    They were kind enough to make arrangements for me to attend the local ward (in the process of making these arrangements I re-discovered that guilt only gets you a car-ride to the door, but that’s a Thoughts for another day) and to pick me up after the services.

    So we’re driving home from the Ward and they naturally start to inquire about the Church and my beliefs. And that’s when they hit me with an interesting, challenging assertion: “We don’t believe that religion is the answer to keeping our children on the right path. In fact, we believe that if you’re too strict that kids will rebel.” They went on to double team me with example after example of friends and family who had children revolt against family values, rules and guidelines. First Mom, then Dad, then Mom with two more. I was left wondering how to reconcile the need for rules and the tendency to rebel when subjected to them. What do you say in response? I wanted to say, “Foolish mortal! Just join the Church and it will take care of itself.” But all I could mumble out was, “Oh.”

    I flubbed, I totally blew it. And it caused me to think about it—a lot. After a while I realized that neither of my responses (albeit the first one was true) was very helpful—especially for those of us who are already members of the Church.

    An outsider’s cursory view of the Church often leaves them with the impression that it’s a well-organized, family-friendly collection of rules and restrictions. Without an understanding of the atonement, it’s easy to see how someone could come to that conclusion. And yet, it’s so much more. But why...and how?

    I think that a more appropriate response focuses on agency. When we focus on agency in the Church and our families we approach rules in different ways. We teach, we council, we make connections between choices and consequences (positive and negative), we encourage our children to exercise agency, and support/coach them through the process. When focused on agency, parents prepare their kids to make choices even when they are left to themselves—maybe more accurate would be especially when left to themselves. They create opportunities for their children to exercise and learn from choices.

    In contrast, when parents, or for that matter church leaders, focus exclusively on rules they tend to become enforcers, focused on monitoring compliance and punishing violations. And lest I’m misunderstood, I’m not saying we shouldn’t administer discipline. But discipline is much different when coupled with agency, it’s supportive and fair instead of being random and severe. And the end result is not divisive, but rather promotes confidence and self esteem.

    So now that I’m about month older and a month wiser, I wish I had could re-do my conversation with the Robbs. I’d teach them about the importance of agency. And while I won’t be able to recapture the moment with the Robbs, I can make up for it with my own boys.

    Thoughts for a Sabbath (Tues)Day — Steve Willis

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog you have done. I’m planning to read each week.

    Have a great day.

    Vickey Allen

    ReplyDelete