Sunday, March 14, 2010

WORKING IN THE HAPPY VALE TOGETHER

Last week in my Thoughts for a Sabbath Day I made a reference to sharing from our sparse stock of sheaves. It wasn’t long after sending out the emails with this phase included that I was made aware not everyone had plowed the same fields of life that I had. I will now attempt to put us all on a level playing field and bring us all into the same realm of reference.

Somewhere back in my personal history which during the last few years has become increasingly more difficult to put in any chronological order, I was introduced to a poem by Clarence Cook entitled Abram and Zimri which I will now either introduce you to or remind you about.

Abram and Zimri owned a field together
A level field hid in a happy vale.
They plowed it with one plow, and in the spring
Sowed, walking side by side, the fruitful seed.
In harvest, when the glad earth smiled with grain,
Each carried to his home one-half the sheaves
And stored them with much labor in his barns.
Now Abram had a wife and seven sons,
But Zimri dwelt alone within his house.


One night before the sheaves were gathered in,
As Zimri lay upon his lonely bed,
And counted in his mind his little gains,
He thought upon his brother Abram’s lot,
And said, "I dwell alone within my house,
But Abram hath a wife and seven sons,
And yet we share the harvest sheaves alike!
I will arise and gird myself, and go
Down to the field, and add to his from mine.”


So he arose, and girded up his loins,
And went out softly to the level field,
The moon shone out from dusky bars of clouds,
And trees stood black against the cold blue sky,
The branches waved, and whispered in the wind.
So Zimri guided by the shifting light,
Went down the mountain path, and found the field,
Took from his store of sheaves a generous third,
And bore them gladly to his brother’s heap.
And then went back to sleep and happy dreams.


Now the same night as Abram lay in bed,
Thinking upon his blissful state in life,
He thought upon his brother Zimri’s lot
And said, “He dwells within his house alone,
He goeth home at night to a cold house
And hath few other friends but me and mine.
For these two tilled the happy vale alone;
“While I, whom heaven hath very greatly blessed
Dwell happy with my wife and seven sons,
Who aid me in my toil and make it light;
And yet we share the harvest sheaves alike,
This surely is not pleasing unto God.
I will arise, and gird myself, and go
Out to the field, and borrow from my store,
And add unto my brother Zimri’s pile.”


So he arose, and girded up his loins,
And went softly down to the level field.
The moon shone out from silver bars of clouds
And trees stood black against the starry sky.
The dark leaves waved and whispered in the breeze.
So Abram, guided by the doubtful light,
Passed down the mountain path, and found the field
Took from his sheaves a generous third,
And added them unto his brother’s heap:
Then he went back to sleep and happy dreams.


So the next morning with the early sun
The brothers rose, and went out to their toil
And when they came to see the heavy sheaves,
Each wondered in his heart to find his heap,
Though he had given a third, was still the same.


Now the next night went Zimri to the field
Took from his store of sheaves a generous share
And placed them on his brother Abram’s heap,
And then lay down behind his pile to watch.
The moon looked out from bars of silvery cloud,
And cedars stood up black against the sky;
The olive branches whispered in the wind.

Then Abram came down softly from his home,
And looking to the left and right, went on,
Took from his ample store a generous third,
And laid it on his brother Zimri’s pile.
Then Zimri rose, and caught him in his arms,
And wept upon his neck, and kissed his cheek;
And Abram saw the whole, and could not speak;
Neither could Zimri, for their hearts were full.

When I first read this poem I little suspected the continual impact it would have on me throughout the rest of my life. Frequently I feel my heart skip a beat and warmness fill my breast as one scene after another remind me of the two brothers weeping upon each others necks. I would like to share just a few of the recent events which shone out like silvery clouds and took me once again to that happy vale where Abram and Zimri toiled side by side in their level field.

I see a 10 year old boy get out of his seat and go to the front of the chapel to aid his little brother who is having difficulty remembering what he wanted to say.

I see a lady filled with grace standing in front of tables filled with books wondering what child or adult would enjoy reading this or that book while eschewing the temptation to add to her personal stacks.

I see a military unit dedicating their off duty hours in an effort to bridge the gap of animosity between occupiers and the occupied, by adding generous heaps, to the lives of ‘enemies’ in an attempt to make their war torn existence a little more comfortable.

I see a mother sacrificing her basic needs for the happiness or comfort of her children.

I see a teacher holding up candles in the silvery night so that a brighter light will shine on his student while contentedly remaining in the shadows all the while.

I see a doctor taking her skills to a strange land to pour out aid, comfort and healing upon those who forever more will no longer be strangers, but will be so filled that they cannot speak.

I see a lawyer whose own barn never seems to be full because she refuses to ask for payment for her services from those she perceives to have life challenges greater than her own.

I see a plumber who keeps his vintage truck limping along, but is always the first to answer the call of the widow who has a leak or a stoppage without any thought of ever being recompensed.

I see a young girl walking a path which is barely visible in order to make sure the new girl in class has at least one friend.

Over and over on my daily treks I see people taking from their sparse stock of sheaves a generous third and adding to their neighbor’s heap. There are times I feel like I have been caught up in their arms and wish to kiss their cheek and I cannot speak. I am truly grateful for the constant reminders of the happy vale in which I dwell.

11 comments:

  1. The blessings of being an Ordnance Worker in our Temple grows each day. From gratitude to joy, I give thanks to our Heavenly Father for my most life changing experience and the continuous blessing of friends like you

    Brandt Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brother Riley. I so enjoy reading these. I was just telling someone awhile back how much i miss institute but feel like there is no time for it in my life anymore with a job and a little one. Thanks for bringing it to me at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why tormentest me so?
    In the midst of this sometimes savage world that God has made for us are sanctuaries of love and peace. For Catholics there are monasteries, and locally, perhaps churches serve as temporary sanctuaries. For Mormons there are temples. Some catholics retreat into monasteries for the duration of their lives. This, to me, is a life less lived. Some adorn themselves with rose colored glasses which transform their world. We witness this as a result of the false promise of most religions, whether or not institutionalized. It can serve to transform their world into something somewhat like a vast monastery. They fancy themselves leading a full rich life, but my bias is, again, a life less lived.
    Love conquers all. That conquest is in the heart and life of the one conquered, but until every heart is won, the world is not yet conquered.
    Love is a word, love is an emotion, and LOVE is a gift by the grace of God. The distinction between these could not be more striking, yet for too many the first two seem to meld seamlessly into the last.
    You speak of LOVE. I long for it and strive for it by God's grace. Yet the world is so much with me. And the world is where God put me.
    Woe unto one who mistakes that the lamb is safe to lie down with the lion. But as you so aptly reminded us, a soldier who's mission is to seek and destroy, to annihilate if you will, may yet feel and act on Love. If one is to live and not sacrifice his life to escape, there are always windows of opportunity to act on love. Even so, one lies to himself, and in doing so to others when one pretends that his world is one of peace and love. To know God's Living Word, behold the world around you. God lives! He continues to reveal his truths to us. Hearken if you will.
    Your message celebrates the free expression of caring for others. That I believe is God's plan for our expression of our love for Him. In brief, to love and care for others, not out of selfish motivations but as a selfless act, is to love God.
    On the other hand, one cannot fully exercise God's love when one retreats from the Real world that God hath made.
    I for one stand guilty, far too selfish and self-absorbed.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bill, just a quick thank you for your weekly "Thoughts on a Sabbath Day." I read them 1st thing every Sunday and they brighten my day. Thanks for being so inspirational. Many blessings to you and your family!!"

    Ed Torriente

    ReplyDelete
  5. Presidente thank you for this poem. I hope you and the hermana are doing well. I went to a new wound dr this week so hopefully something may happen to relieve me of the pain and frustration of this wound. Take care

    Sam Webster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for adding me to your list for your blog! Last week your early morning email got me out of bed and off to church! Today, it took anger our of my heart and made me remember what is truly important in this life. Keep on writing and keep on sending! Some of us need all the help we can get to get us through each week! I appreciate you taking your precious time to do this!

    Diana Rovetti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother & Sister Riley,

    I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put your heavenly inspired thoughts in writing for us to read.

    Brother Millet from BYU, spoke at the Santa Margarita stake center this past Friday, maybe you were there. If not the poem you shared reminded me of what I thought his main topic was. He spoke about; the "Light of Christ," and how we don't trust our own feelings because we don't listen to them enough and see the results or when the light of Christ is speaking to us we don't follow it's promptings enough and don't witness Gods hand in our lives. Promptings, which in my minor experience most often are promptings to share sheaves and lift others burdens. I was inspired to listen and react more.

    I have missed Institute, and have not been able to quite figure out how to get the same consistent spirit out of my own personal gospel study. I appreciate the supplementation I recieve from yourself and others.

    Hope all is well with you and yours,

    Ryan Nicholls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder of this beautiful story. I haven't read it in quite a while and loved being reminded of the the overwhelming feelings of both gratitude and concern that Zimri and Abram felt for each other. The beautiful part is all the women like this I see in Relief Society! Have a good day!

    Mary Moorehead

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Bill, for (yet again) adding sheaves to my pile! I was unfamiliar with Abram & Zimri. Wonderful!

    Mark Woodbury

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Thank you for sharing!

    Carol Bahouth

    ReplyDelete