Sunday, July 25, 2010

THIS STRANGE, MYSTICAL WORLD

Sitting upon father’s knee, feeling the warmth, recognizing the familiar scents, even the bristle on his face brought comfort as it gently touched my cheek. In a strange, mystical way I was never able to enter into the fullness of his world. It was a world, however, which would come into clearer focus as I aged and the cycle of life brought me into that wondrous laboratory called fatherhood.

Walking behind grandpa down the rows of his weedless garden, I eagerly shelled and ate fresh peas, wondered at the savor of the carrots which vanished while bits of the fertile earth still clung and climbed the cherry trees relishing in the delights of ruby fruit. In a strange, mystical way I was never able to fully enter into the entirety of his world. Now, in the days of my grandfatherhood I sometimes catch dazzling eyes of grandchildren looking at me with puzzled glances.

Mr. Hill stood with a whistle wreathed about his neck. I tried to imitate his talk, placed my hands on the laces of the ball as he had instructed, insisted the barber cut my hair in the same style which crowned his head. But in a strange, mystical way I was never fully able to entirely enter into his world. Little did I realize in those sometimes innocent days that I would one day imitate his daily walk with expectant students surrounding.

Heroes are stars admired from afar. Models are examples of materials skillfully formed.
Harvest is a reward for planting well done.
Life is following where others have led.

Little son of mine, as you sit on my knee are you warmed by my love? What fond memories are filling your head today? Do you desire to know more fully the strange, mystical world which you now view with quizzical eyes? A world which I promise will come into clearer focus as you age and the cycle of life brings you into the wondrous laboratory of fatherhood.

Come to the garden sweet grandchild of mine. Taste of the fruits, dirty your clothes, learn and love the wonders of growth. Life will soon demand that you leave the safe world of wonders and embrace the realities of that strange, mystical world you now view from afar.

Bright and enlightened students who have walked so long with me, how much of what you have heard and seen will help you to understand even a little bit better this strange, mystical world you live in? Do you not see the many that encircle your life who are attempting to traverse the mystical world imitating what they see you do?

Heroes are stars admired from afar.
Models are examples of materials skillfully formed.
Harvest is a reward for planting well done.
Life is following where others have led.

With a child perched on a knee, with a finger grasped in a small hand, with apprentice duplicating skilled strokes we go forth entwining our days of learning about the strange mystical world into the lives of those of the oncoming generation.

Therefore, away from the desk, out to the yard, you’ve observed and studied these long years, ‘tis time to show others the way of this strange, mystical world they now view from afar.

As the stars rotate in the heaven, heroes fall from their stand.
As skilled hands wrinkle, cherished objects rust and lie broken.
As the moon cycles, the stubble is plowed.
As we learn to follow, forever we will lead.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the touching reflection. Enjoy thorougly your family reunion. With your "This Strange Mystical World" perspective, you're bound to savor its warm memories.
    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pres,.... I really needed that lesson. I appreciate the time you take to continue to inspire us.
    -Dave Porter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Well said. Touching. So very true!!!! Thank you (both).
    Sharon Cocanour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and inspiring!! Thank you
    Carolyn Hildt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heroes, all either at too far a distance for me to know except by victorious fragments of their lives or by those platitudes and aphorisms by which so many are known, or known heroes with feet of clay. The New Testament claimed that of all men there was One only who had not fallen. My experience of 69 years has reinforced that claim. Yet as you insist here, and often before, heroes can be a good thing. Still I believe that I must never think Hero without thinking, only One must be lifted up. To follow others has the risk of providing a temporary reward at eternal expense.
    So where have those heroes of mine who have served to lead me led? Let's take one we both know as an example, as a beginning, then perhaps expand. William Riley is a hero of mine. Where has he led me; and to be clear from the start, I have not followed! First, to be patient with those who are reluctant to hear, to hearken, whether due to limitations of exposure, limitations of ability or fear. Do not fear to follow the strings of fact or theory, even when they seem to lead into unfamiliar and uncomfortable territory. Be comfortable that Truth will remain so, independent of all belief or teaching to the contrary, and in the end will be better than fear of Truth. Do not be afraid to expose my own weaknesses, not necessarily my own sins. These lessons and many more have I learned from Bill by word and deed. So I hold Bill Riley up as an example of much that is good, but as he has perhaps too frequently admitted, he has feet of clay.
    There are other heroes whose accomplishments would seem far greater than those of Bill Riley. There was Moses who as a mere slave spoke Truth to power, the greatest earthly power known to man. There was David who with the weapon of a shepherd faced the greatest warrior known to men of his time. These were great men performing great feats, but in the end, One only remains raised up.
    So what about my heroes? I must focus on their strengths, their courage, and above all, their faithfulness to the only One left raised up after their work is done.
    We are failed creatures. As I have failed to follow the leadership of Bill Riley. so we are unable it seems to faithfully hearken ever and always unto our God and follow his guidance. I am certain of that for myself, so being out of touch with my God and out from under the Hand of His leadership, I rely on fallen heroes for leadership. After all, they are here, or have been here, flesh and blood like me. God on the other hand seems so far removed, so unavailable and unattainable in the here and now; and I am in dire need of being led, here and now. I'm no Moses! God's just doesn't talk that clearly to me!
    Or is it I who don't listen that well to God?
    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete