Sunday, September 26, 2010

DISCOVERING THE KEY TO A LIFE OF RIGHT-NESS

As I have gone through the passages of aging during my mortal span, one of the dramatic changes which has come in my life is the perception of what I deem to be the key to finding the path which will help me return to my Heavenly Father.
When I was very young I operated under the assumption that if I did what my earthly parents said was right I would be in pretty good shape with my Heavenly Father. The problem was I spent about as much time trying to hide wayward actions from them as I did trying to walk the path they had outlined.

As the years passed I found that there were abundant sources which were willing to define what was right and what was wrong to do in life. These willing contributors were very positive in their declarations of what was good and what was evil. Even during my hormone driven youth I was able to see that their conflicting definitions might be correct or incorrect, or both incorrect, but they could not both be correct. It didn’t really matter much who was correct or incorrect, because it seemed many decisions were being made by some mystical power beyond the control of my logical thinking.

As a measure of maturity started to kick in I decided that relationships were the most important decision making determiner. I even came up with a personal creed that stated. ‘It is better to be right than be right.’ I used this phrase as a fairly constant reminder that since we were all more or less guessing about life and the eternities (with our finite minds trying to comprehend the Infinite) it was kind of pointless to argue and fuss about stuff and it was better to just be nice. This formula worked really well except when encountering obstinate personalities who seemed determined to test the level of nice-ness, or something like that.

As the years have lengthened into multiple decades I have decided that with my remaining years I will try to be less self-righteous and try to be guided to do right-ness according to the directions my Heavenly Father might send my way by His Holy Spirit.

A few thoughts about the difference between being self-righteous and right-ness:

Do I concentrate on preparing a mansion for myself in the Heavens or am I striving to make the community I live in a little more heavenly?

Do I strive to let my light shine so brightly that others will see my saintliness or am I quietly spending my days doing saintly acts for my ever expanding circle of brothers and sisters?

Do I spend my efforts trying to become one of the exclusive few worthy to return to live eternally with Heavenly Father or am I using my feeble talents to enlarge the circle of those who will be included in the eternal family?

Do I make sure I surround myself with those who walk the narrow path of exclusivity I have defined in my mind, or am I finding ways to broaden the borders of the highway I have been blessed to wander upon so that I can assist those who are struggling to find the way Home?

Do I separate myself from those who have chosen tangent paths as a guard to my own goodness or do I trust in the shield of faith to protect me against falling into evil as I strive to help others move toward better choices?

Do I sit in my cubicle expanding my knowledge of the scriptures so that I might impress others or do I recognize that whatever gift I have received by the grace of God is given so that I might be an instrument in inviting all to come unto Christ?

Do I bask in the swelling feeling of pride that I am indeed one of the limited few who have seen the light or am I constantly reminded of how far I have yet to go and that where I am is but evidence of the gifts I have received from a loving Heavenly Father?

Do I stand on the blessings I have received from God as proof of my self- righteousness or do I rise each morning with a prayer that with His help I might do some right-ness today.

I become convinced day by day that concentration on self-righteousness is a sure way of causing a blinding darkness which will obscure my understanding of the true purpose of life, which is to be part of Heavenly Father’s army doing daily right-ness to bring to pass the immortality and eternal lives of all His children.

I wonder if I am given another decade of life what the next formula for maximizing mortality I will be governed by?

WRITTEN BY- WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

16 comments:

  1. gracias por sus mensajes son muy edificantes..que el Señor le bendiga siempre ad y asu f amilia.

    Magda Rocio

    ReplyDelete
  2. hermano gracias x sus mensajes son muy enriquecedores..me gustan mucho...

    yolanda maria florez corrales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I am considering sending your messages to my wayward son who is working on his PHD at Davis in Cultural Anthropology. He believes in evolution right now, but does understand there is not much proof in it. He loves history and cultures and how they have evolved. He also enjoyed growing up Mormon and believes the Mormons live their religion better than any other religion he has seen. He sees the goodness in it, but doesn't believe in God. Your messages seem to be something he is interested in, but I am reluctant as he might see me as always trying to prove to him that he is wrong. I know he will come to find out even in his field of studies that what he is searching for was right under his nose. Any way thanks for your comments. I enjoy reading them.
    Sue Baldini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola presidente y hermana Riley, es una gran bendición recibir noticias de ustedes, es impisible olvidar a aquellos que han contribuido tanto para mi vida en lo temporal y lo espiritual, nunca olvidaré sus sabios consejos, su sana docrtrina, su gran amor y bondad, su alegría y buen humor, les expreso mi amor y mi gratitud por todo, miles de recuerdos.

    Carlos I. Giraldo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I am always inspired.

    sarah peterson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bill,
    I thought I was reading Alma chapter 5, and realizing how much I need to do better. Thank you for this wonderful thesis. Right on target.
    Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You Bill, I needed to here your words.

    Ron Ross

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful start to a beautiful Sunday morning.
    Thank you Kitty Bingham

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate your thoughts. If you publish this on your blog or send it to others, you might want to fix this line:
    As a measure of maturity started to kick in I decided that relationships were the most important decision making determiner. I even came up with a personal creed that stated. ‘It is better to be right than be right.’
    I think you meant to say it is better to be nice than to be right? Am I wrong? lol

    Kristina Booth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very thoughtful progression---thanks for sharing

    Best,
    Larry Rauzon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristine Tate

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Bill of Rights:

    You and I think so much alike it's scary. I agree wholeheartedly with your writing today.

    Each one of the individual 2 sentence paragraphs were dead solid perfect.
    and by making each a separate paragraph, rather than bunching them all
    into one, it gave each one it's one "stand alone" identity. very key here today.

    I like how you see things. How your view truth, and how you can explain it is
    clear and simple terms. You have a gift and your wife, editor, I'm sure is
    right there by your side in support and spellcheck.

    Are you still teaching institute on Wednesdays for adults? I'd love to visit your
    class sometime. I am very impressed with what I have seen so far.

    I need to finish preparing my lesson for the High Priests today.

    take care and enjoy this day of rest.

    Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brother Riley,
    I wanted to say thank you soooo much I look for your Sunday devotionals they are the light to my week thank you so very much as I have stumbled on my path and have fully exercised my free agency your devotional weekly has helped me find my knees back on the ground
    thank you
    Jessi Ulmer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful piece.
    Thank you!Sharon Cocanour

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bill,
    I wrote a long response to your letter. I am in warm agreement. It is similar to my own belief which I, unlike better persons, am unable to exercise in actual living. I worked and reworked my missive, never seeming to get it right, so in the end I deleted it.
    I do want to say this though. My extremely localized and limited experience has led me to believe that one of my myopic views, and by the flawed rationalism of projection onto others, the mistakes of many, have been their pigeon-holed view that God reveals himself to man primarily through religious figures and their writings. We have always exuded that God is omnipresent and omnicient, yet we have viewed him in this restricted way. I in my skepticism am unsure whether I have broken free from that restricted view or have rather strayed into a perspective too complex and incomprehensible for any man, and should have stayed back. Yet here I am following and believing that I receive intuitions when others speak or read or pursue problems whether related or totally unrelated to religion; and again by projection, that the great works of science, music, mathematics, etc. were also the result of intuitions sent by none but God.
    So I believe that following God's guidance is the only good, and best when done in an un-fettered way.
    Paul Maddox
    P.S. The intuitions I have received have seldom provided me with insight into self, they are provided, directly or indirectly, in the service of others. Oh well, one can't have everything!

    ReplyDelete