Sunday, March 13, 2011

WALKING MY BROTHER’S MILE

It has been said in many lands, in many languages, written in poem and sung in song, but the first time I remember hearing the phrase was in the trial scene in the movie ‘To Kill a Mockingbird.’ If I close my eyes I can still hear the words of Gregory Peck echo back to my ears in his resonating tones; “you cannot judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.”

Growing up it seemed to me I was forever receiving mixed signals on the matter of judging. I was told to judge where and with whom I would go. I was to make judgments between that which would edify and that which would tear down. It seemed wherever I turned I was hearing people tell me to make good and proper decisions about almost everything.

Then there were days when I would return home from Sunday School where I had received an animated lesson about the evil involved in making judgments.

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Matthew 7:1, 2)

When I was out with my friends and they were about to get themselves involved in an activity which I considered to be contrary to everyone’s betterment they would remind me that it was not my place to judge. I think I remember having used that line a time or two as an excuse for entering into a few things which I knew to be wrong.

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: (Luke 6:37)

I seldom was with adults when they weren’t spewing out judgments with every new scene that came into view. They seemed to be especially judgmental about people or the decisions and efforts people were making. Their condemnations ran through the range of politicians to preachers, from public servants to the poor, from constructors to demolishioners, from neighbor to stranger. If one listened long enough every talent and trade, every thought and action, all things moving and motionless were brought to task with the sharp judgments of their tongues.

Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. (James 4:11)

It was comforting when my gospel understanding expanded a bit and my understanding of judging was broadened somewhat. It will always be a truth, that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I spent some meaningful time pondering such passages as:

Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? (1 Corinthians 6:2)

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. (John 7:24)

Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again. For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all. (Alma 41:14, 15)

It was especially gratifying when I was introduced to the Inspired Translation by Joseph Smith of verses in the beginning of Matthew chapter 7.

Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged; but judge righteous judgment. (JST Matthew 7:1, 2)

There it was! The confusion was gone. We indeed were to make judgments, but they were to be done in righteousness. I was to make judgments, but only righteously. Without belaboring the concept too much, I have come to the conclusion that if I am to judge and do it righteously I was going to need a lot of help from a source with greater understanding than I possessed.

The need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit was never felt with greater force. The need to gain greater understanding of my neighbor’s walk was never needed more.

The solution seemed to be two-fold I had to live to gain greater help from the Holy Spirit and I had to more diligently apply that that which still sounds in my ears when I close my eyes and think of that scene in the movie

To Kill a Mockingbird, “you cannot judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.”

28 comments:

  1. Thank you, that came very handy to me today. Judging righteously is the fine line. Its hard not to cross it. I hope you and Catheen have a great Sunday.

    Abrazos

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola presidente, sí que madrugó. Mil gracias por tan especiales detalles. Estaremos en contacato. Un feliz día y abrazos para la hermana. Los quiero mucho. PATRICIA MONTOYA CORREA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bill,

    Thanks so much for this edition of your "thoughts"...... I enjoy them all, but this is a subject I, myself, have been pondering lately. I want to be that loving, gracious Saint I felt whenever I heard President Hinckley. He exuded love and compassion, while staying ever "true" and motivational for betterment and higher ground. But how to do that in the everyday world is a challenge.

    Have a wonderful, peaceful Sabbath, Brother Riley. Our best regards to you and Kathleen. I am thankful for our association, and for your beautiful insights shared here.

    Fondly,
    Sue Ann Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill and Kathy:

    I really like your thought this AM. I was always taught to never judge anyone.
    but then I was told to choose my friends wisely. That took some judgements
    hopefully righteous ones. In my case, the friends I chose to be with during
    my teenage years are the reason I stayed so closes to the gospel. I wouldn't
    say I ever sat down and made a judgment decision on them being my friends
    or not, things just went better when we were together and as a group we were
    stronger than we would have been as individual teenagers.

    Thanks for your insight.

    Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to God that there are those few, so very few it seems, amongst us who are able to hear the voice that God is so plainly and clearly speaking to us all:
    "Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged; but judge righteous judgment."
    Now upon reflection, reflecting for example upon the disquiet you expressed below that disturbed your own mind and spirit as you "pondered" these questions, how could such a voice have been missed? We the sheep of his pasture are apparently unable to hear it, either from His word, i.e. seeming mixed messages of the scriptures which we insist must be without contradiction, or from the world which is seemingly so full of contradiction yet is His whole and completely well-reasoned creation, which lays these lessons with all the data necessary for reliable conclusions before us as we toil day by day. We simply are unable to go there, to behold, to hearken without the aid of a shepherd. Woe are we without a shepherd.

    But if I am a sheep, who is my shepherd? There are many who would be shepherd, who play the role of shepherd, yet we are led to believe that there is only the One. Can something be amiss in all this? Is this intermediary shepherd business a requirement since without intermediaries to the One Intermediary none of us who are myopic sheep will be able to see where The One Shepherd leads. Is this an essential window, an only Way of finding the "True Way" of The Shepherd? The way it must be for we the sheep? All the sheep? Must I find an intermediary shepherd and follow him if I would know HIM?

    I so often wonder. Really, "wonder" in the full sense.

    You reactivate the turmoil of my wonder as I walk my own miles, many miles alongside my brother and sister. I bear my own burden sharing my brotherhood of toil with them. We lift each other up when we stumble for we know that without each other, although we each may travel faster alone for awhile, our burdens will become unbearable without each other. As we share our assistance we confess our need. We are brothers and sisters following a dim light. When in the dust one blinks, he holds the other's hand and moves on. Ahead, far, far ahead, we believe we may yet discern the form of "The Shepherd". We follow on together trying to never lose Him from sight, to never lose the light no matter how feint.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Brother Riley,

    I had to take just a moment and thank-you for all your thoughts you share with us! I often don't respond but just wanted you to know that I appreciate your thoughts, insight, and teachings! My spirit is feed and uplifted!

    Thank-You again,
    Warm Regards - Rene` Lindahl

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Thanks Bro Riley, You're good peeps. I appreciate all da knowledge You've shared."

    Antonio Cruz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! I have been thinking a lot about this lately.

    Thank you so much,

    Tracy Drivas

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great wisdom here my friend, brother and mentor. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Jay Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great wisdom here my friend, brother and mentor. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Jay Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks again, it always comes when I need the help!! Laura Laramie

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Great. What do I do until the "rest of the story" comes out next week? What is at the end of that mile?" Steven Paul Nord

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! A great follow-up to my lesson in R.S. today on charity and the "love" commandments! Hope you are feeling better -- from all your "age-related" ailments!!!
    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brother and Sister Riley! I love getting your thoughts!
    Shauna Baker Rice

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!! Thank you Brother Riley! Can't wait for the continuation! I will be forever grateful for the years of institute when I was privileged to sit in your class!

    Much Love to you and yours,
    Dana Donahoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great thoughts. Thanks! See you Tues.

    Carolyn Hildt

    ReplyDelete
  17. hola Presidente, como esta la familia?estuve leyendo su pensamiento junto a mi esposa, nos ha hecho reflexionar una vez mas hacerca de juzgar, esperaremos esta semana la continuación
    Bye...RICARDO ALEXANDER URRESTI ELERA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very well done. Thank you president!

    Greg Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rob and I have often discussed this concept, but you've tied it up perfectly. How very true, that we must have the assistance and power of the Holy Ghost that we might not judge amiss! Some of my best lessons in not judging others have come by and through being judged unrighteously myself. Or finding out that I had judged a person or situation completely callously or foolishly. What a great teacher personal experience is! Thanks be to God for his Spirit that shines heavenly light on those things we need to improve or change.

    Thanks Bill and Kathy for these weekly nuggets.
    Thanks for your "Thoughts".

    Sharon Cocanour

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Debi,

    I have been thinking about your lesson all afternoon and evening. It was so good for me to hear the fullness of the things you presented. I struggle with judging people constantly. I have asked for help with this struggle for years--I think I will need help for the rest of this mortal existence--at least. Your lesson really added depth and insights into my challenge. Then this letter from your much loved institute teacher is another celestial layer. I feel so fortunate to be able to have these truths and dimensions added to my "bank" of thoughts. If only, I can always remember how important this is.

    Thank you very much for passing this on and for your wonderful lesson.

    Um grande abraço!
    Janet Dawson

    ReplyDelete
  21. muchas gracias me fortalece bastante los amojulio

    cesar bustos forero

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great insight. It seems to be another math equation, equalling a winner. You gain with guidance and companionship of the Spirit and other person gains because of mercy, righteousness, and love shown to him/her.
    Have a great day.
    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you, it was beautiful.

    janiffer adriana unda vergara

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola como han estado muchas gracias por los mensajes que me han enviado, los quiero mucho y siempre los tengo en mi corazón son personas maravillosas gracias por su amor y amistad que Nuestro Padre Celestial les bendiga con salud y prosperidad.

    Con cariño Adriana Silva Montoya

    ReplyDelete
  25. Having just discussed this subject at length in our SS class, I was delighted to read your edifying words. Thank you for the great insights and meaningful observations that are somehow so overlooked when we talk about judgement. I appreciate your thoughts each week and am uplifted by them.
    aloha nui loa, Barbara Townsend

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi William,

    "Thank you - and thank you so much for the weekly e-mails. They uplift me!"

    Erin Elton

    ReplyDelete
  27. Espero que eseten bien.gracias por los mensajes que me envian a mi correo.un abrazo

    Clara Inés Torres González

    ReplyDelete