Sunday, July 24, 2011

UNITED-NESS

Not too long ago I was listening to someone spinning on the principle of “united.” Neither the person nor the topic is really relevant to what I am going to write about. While I was listening my mind started to wander, as it often does when mumbling from any particular quarter drones on and on. Anyway I started to think of the small changes which are needed to change the positive word United to something negative and even at time destructive.

United with a K inserted becomes Un-Knitted = frayed, unraveled, loosened etc.

United when the U is exchanged by IG become IG-nited = lighted, fired, explosive etc.

Adding the preface Dis to United and it becomes Disunited = dissolved, severed, alienated etc.

As the droning continued my mind shifted to the small things which cause so many of the social units of our lives to become, frayed, unraveled, loosened, lit and fired until they become explosive.

I start by addressing the small changes in the smallest of social units, ME. Over and over in my life it has most frequently been just a little loosening of personal standards which have resulted in the unraveling of best intentioned resolutions. Seldom have I made major leaps into destructive patterns, but the un-knitting of one little knot, which leads to the loosening of another, has caused the fraying of my life. If I tarry too long in my awakening, before long the fabric of my life becomes so tattered that repair can be so overwhelming and I may give up the challenge entirely.

Families do not become dysfunctional because they one day wake up in the morning and explode into disarray. The fuse was lit, stomped on, lit again over the years until finally one by one the members of the family no longer have the strength or the will to continue stomping and the fuse speeds like wildfire toward its determined destination. Sadly, somewhere along the line stomping out the lit fuse was replaced by fanning of the flame, as one by one members of the family lost hope of being a united unit.

Cities, counties and nations historically have brought downfall and destruction upon themselves as they allowed differences to cause alienation which led to the eventual severing of civil processes until those values which once caused them to work toward goals of common good were completely dissolved. It is sad to watch as those who should be leaders practice a destructive form of one-up-man ship. As vigorously they spew forth one bitter negative blast after another, trying to convince all who will listen about the incompetence of those, of an opposing view, who proclaim to be also working for the right solutions. The pettiness continues until civility is replaced by arrogance and the spiral steepens until union is dissolved.

I suspect some tailor in the long ago first said it, but I heard it from my mother. It seems to be fitting in the fixing of my personal life as I see the very first knot unravel. It seems to be true with families when the first unkind remark is made. It should be true with those who govern. “A stitch in time saves nine.” When comprehension finally dawned on me what she was saying I understood that the sooner I fixed things in my life the easier they would be to fix. I can’t help but think that this same principle must be true of families and nations. The sooner cessation of any negativity which could lead toward destruction and dissolution is initiated, the easier the task of reunification will be.

I long ago accepted my personal imperfection, but that admission did not relieve me from the responsibility to continue in the attempt to be better today than I was yesterday.

It is understood that all family units will have discord, but it would be well if all members of those units would strive to pour soothing waters while the flames are still small.

Political views should be debated, but never by abandoning civility and truth and always by diminishing the need to find individual prestige and power.

Like so many of the things which my mind wanders through, the principle of United-ness must begin with me!

9 comments:

  1. Great words today Team Riley.....you might say that that Unification begins with "U".

    Enjoyed all your thoughts since I got on your list.

    have a good vacation

    Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading a short article, by someone unnamed here :), as he "droned" on and on (woops is that derogatory and unkind towards a fellow writer, even though unnamed? Well I won't drone!) about "United", my mind could not help but wander as he laid out cute little daydreaming modifications to the word, and as I read on through the article.
    United we stand! Many tiny threads combine to make a mighty chord. So all you like sheep, follow me! Ja, mein fuhrer; Mi familia!
    There is nothing good about being "united" in itself! There is nothing good about loyalty in itself. To the extent that integrity is consistent adherence to one's core principles and beliefs, personal integrity too is only good to the extent that one's principles are sound. Words are tools which may be used for good, simple utility, or for evil. Context matters. Context matters. Context matters. As someone, unnamed here :), taught Paulette, and as Paulette taught me, it is the eternally true scripture principles, not the scriptural words that are to be sought after and learned. "If you build it (the principles), they (the words) will come." If you build it (the principles), the words will become less of an impediment. Don't get hung up on the small stuff (the words; other pettiness).
    But I shan't drone on. :)

    P.S. Then again, words matter. So where am I left now?

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your absence will be for a happy vacation.....thanks for always sending uplifting messages.

    Charlene Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,
    If by "Can't win all the time!!", you are indicating that you have read into my response that I don't think your thoughts are, shall we call them thoughtful, or helpful; then you have mistaken the intent or motivation behind my reply. I simply wanted to present an alternate perspective.
    It is my belief, my profound belief, that to come to an understanding of what someone is saying or has said, one must come to a sympathetic understanding. What I mean by that is, seeing what the other says, their argument perhaps, from their perspective and none other. No one can be 100% successful at doing that because no-one can truly walk in the other's shoes. But to the extent that that is accomplished, one understands the other's argument. Without accomplishing that to some significant degree, there is simply lack of understanding. I attempt that, with varying degrees of success depending on my own subconscious pre-established biased constructs. But I try and try.
    I am convinced that you do also. That's one reason that I continue to listen to you.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU
    BEATIFULL THOUGHTS

    VICTOR HOLGUIN BOGOTA NORTE APRIL 1994

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our loss......you will be missed. Hope you and Kathy are going to be doing something fun!!!

    Rosemary Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Muchas gracias William y aprovecho para agradecerle también por sus mensajes inspiradores."

    Luz Daneris Castro Agresott

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill Riley

    Message flagged
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:50 PM
    Message body
    Bill,
    When I read of your experience with President Jimmy Hobbs, I thought, "What a small world!" The week before, Linda and I had taken a "soon-to-be missionary" grandson, David Law, his mother, his sister and her husband, with us to the St. George Temple to perform some ancestral Law family members' sealings.
    The sealer is a close neighbor, a good friend, and coordinator of all sealers and sealings for our temple. He was happy to accommodate us, and he explained the ordinances in considerable depth.
    One of the witnesses has lost too much eyesight to be a sealer now. He is in his 90's and very frail. Our sealer had to nudge him occasionally to make his witnessing legitimate.
    Our sealer stopped to give us a break after a few sealings, and he introduced us to this aged witness. When I was introduced, he said, "I knew some Law's in Garden Grove. Did you have any relatives there?"
    I said, "I was there as 1st Counselor to Bishop Keith Matthews. Who are you?"
    "I'm Jimmy Hobbs."
    Well... Right there, we had a little "old-timer" visit. He was Bishop of the 1st Ward then. I was in the 2nd Ward. I taught early morning seminary to his and our youth.
    It was "Old Home Week". The sealer had to finally shut us down so we could get on with the real purpose of the session.
    When I read your "Thoughts" e-mail about Jimmy, it brought so many memories flooding back. Linda had made a copy of your message, so I gave it to my sealer friend, and suggested that he read it for Jimmy. Have not heard back regarding a reaction yet, but I'm sure there was one.
    Hope you don't mind having your "linen aired" like that, but when you send your inner thoughts out to a bunch of prospective readers, I think you must be prepared for any and all reactions.
    Anyway, we enjoy your "Thoughts".

    Thanks.
    Marion Law

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill and Kathy

    Hope all is well with you two! Our daughter Camille who lives in Salt Lake received two of your "Thoughts" papers and forwarded them on to us. We loved them! The question is......how do we qualify to be in that elite group of people who receive these?

    Bruce and Evlyn Ford

    ReplyDelete