Sunday, June 3, 2012

EXAMPLES WHICH INSPIRE

I recently reread an article I had filed in 1964. The article introduced me to Maxine Ziegler, Doctor of Psychology, in the following words: “She couldn’t just graduate from High School, she had to be Valedictorian; she couldn’t merely run in the top 35 of 3500 USC graduates, she had to be Phi Beta Kappa; she can’t just cook, she has to be gourmet; she doesn’t merely purl, she knits argyles.”

Three months after Doctor Ziegler gave birth to her first daughter she instinctively knew that something was wrong with her baby’s sight. The doctors informed these joyous parents that their child had been born with a hereditary form of cancer which results in retinal blastoma. This inheritance came from a mother who had refused to bow to the heaviness of this same handicap throughout her life.

Once again, faced with what seemed like an insurmountable challenge, this blind mother and an equally devoted father turned their energies into positive actions and dove into the laborious process of giving substitute stimulation to a child born into a world of darkness. “What a sighted baby enjoys through colors, we gave her in the feel of things. She was alert, aware, maybe near genius in intelligence.”

Under her parents’ loving, tender, patient care the child grew and at the age of two knew smatterings of English, Spanish, German and French. At three she could conjugate verbs in four languages. With special numbered blocks she was well into long division before she started the first grade.

Even as I write these words a tingling sensation goes up the back of my arms, continues up my neck and starts the process of moistened lower eyelids. Throughout my life I have been thrilled and affected by stories like this. Stories of people whom I consider to be real heroes, who face the trials of life and not only crawl over them, but subdue them and come forth victorious.

Maxine Ziegler was a living example of her creed ‘I CAN’ and has gone on to inspire and instill in others, like myself, a desire to obtain this attribute. One small paragraph, in particular, from the article makes my heart leap for joy. “When mother says, ‘lights out,’ two little girls (two other children added to complete the family by means of adoption) squeal delightedly and snuggle in bed for the reading aloud continues as blind Evalinda’s fingers dance over the words.”

This is where I really become inspired, as through persistence, diligence and determination some in the world go beyond life’s barriers and triumph over handicaps and turn what seem to be disadvantages into advantages, weaknesses into strengths.

Unlike so many of us, Evalinda’s sightlessness became a strength which gave her an enviable ability to focus and concentrate. At ballet recitals, novice ballerinas kept their eyes on Evalinda when confusion brought hesitancy about the next step. The world viewed through her four remaining sharpened senses seemed brighter and more fascinating that the one most of us see with our full faculties which may have been dulled by apathy and distractions.

There is no doubt, such examples as the Zeigler’s cause me to ponder upon the guiding principles which have illuminated their steps and have contributed to the wholeness and fulfillment of their lives.

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Jacob 12:27)

17 comments:

  1. Que bueno, que volvio con sus pensamientos a mi correo, no encontraba la pagina que nos dio, mil gracias..

    RICARDO ALEXANDER URRESTI ELERA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. For whatever reason, this thought particularly touched me in my early morning studies today. Much love to you and your family.

    Steven Mahoney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful message. Not sure if you've read it or not, but there is an amazing book I just finished about overcoming blindness called "And There was Light" it's an autobiography of Jaques Lusseryan (sp) who was a blind hero of the French Resistance. Highly recommend it if haven't read it already.

    Best regards - Joey Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful - inspiring story!
    Thank you!!
    ~Peggy Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy for those who have had the creed "I can", could, and did long enough and well enough to assure us all, the whole world, of the inspiring example they have been to us. As you have made clear, success lends itself to public acknowledgment especially when accompanied with self promoting revelation as you so ably provided, then of course comes well deserved pride (or was that before?), and of course public acknowledgment (even the wetting of eyes) and perhaps as you imply even eternal glory.
    I for one was inspired by scriptures when young. Not the one you quote, but there are others. I believed that I could, but for whatever reason was less able. My star did not burn so brightly. Since my drive was evidently less strong, my grasp never quite equal to my reach, I fell short rather than achieved many of my goals. I disappointed myself and others.
    Now here I am in old age. Who shall I inspire with my story? Shall I direct the attention of my sons and others to the Zieglers of the world and thankfully away from those they actually see and know? Shall I direct their attention to scriptures which may inspire them but which have failed me and almost all of those who I actually know in a lifetime of experience?
    There is certainly something to be said for inspiration; for the myths, the phantoms of life about which we hear and read but of which we have no need of exposure to the warts.

    Why ruin inspiration with TRUTH?

    Why even acknowledge Truth? Life has so much more to offer!
    So live that when thy summons comes to join ...
    Enjoy.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, I'm running out of time but even if it's just a quick note, it's better than none. Much like a quick kiss on the cheek is good even if you don't have time for a long hug. I'm BCC'ing some of you that I care about so much this morning because I had been thinking of you and wanted to make contact... We had a great Adult Session of Stake Conference last night and then all the more I wanted to share something with those that I care about. I got up early and walked the dogs this morning and once again was thinking about some of you. I saw this e-mail from Brother Riley in our ward and was touched and again wanted to share. I saw the opportunity to grab it and simply forward it and do like Elder McConkie said that one time... paraphrased... they may seem like the words of another but I am making them mine by feeling them and restating them... This scripture that Brother Riley shares is one of my all time favorites. It has huge and powerful meaning in it. really potentially life-altering meaning.. if we choose to hear it or see it or feel it, but even more, if we choose to act upon it. running out of time. Ti will not want em to make us late for the general session of Stake Conference. I'm still sweaty from waling the dogs and I'm sure now one will want to share the pew with me if I didn't make time to shower. (pun intended). I love you. Have a great Sabbath Day. more to come...

    Eric R. Chambers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing this for us each week. I appreciate it very much.
    Hope you are starting to feel well, and the headaches are all gone.

    Best wishes, Charlene Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Br.Riley:

    Thank you for your Sabbath thought. I had the impression that you were not going to continue your Sabbath Day thoughts, but I am so grateful that I was wrong.

    Elder Bass and I are serving our second mission in Oxford, Ohio; part of the Great Ohio Columbus mission. We love it and the people who live here. We have given up the riches and wealth as well as the weather of southern California to be in a part of the country where the Church has roots and meaning. Oh it is beautiful here but it is very different than Southern California; I would not like to have to choose. It is very comforting to know that no matter where you go, there is always a Branch or Ward that is studying the same lesson that your Ward back home is reviewing. Some places the doctrines may be a little deeper than others, but there is always warmth in knowing that we are all in this together. I have also found that no matter where you go, there is always someone who knows someone, who is related to someone that you know, and that fact alone can make all the difference in the world.

    God bless you and I hope your health is improving.

    Much Love and Gratitude

    Elder and Sister Bass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your thoughts

    Andrew Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  10. and you, Brother Bill, are an example whom inspires all of us

    Joyce Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muy hermoso mensaje, muchas Gracias

    Odalis Maria Diaz Bohorquez

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excelente mensaje presidente Riley, aunque me hace sentir mal por ver mis propias debilidades. Lo estudiarè mejor ahora en la tarde despuès del trabajo y lo compartirè con mi esposa esta noche en la Noche de Hogar para ponerlo en pràctica. Es un buen regalo por nuestro aniversario de bodas.

    Gracias presidente Riley y hermana Riley.

    Josè Roberto Guzmàn Ballesteros

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this great essay! I have never been introduced to Maxine Ziegler (but I now have), and am so impressed with what she has accomplished even though blind!
    Her story is inspirational and I thank you for sharing it with me in such detail.

    Very well written! Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very touching story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Hope all is well.

    Jack Rushton

    ReplyDelete
  15. President Riley: thank you for the wonderful message!!

    Greg Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,Bill. I was surprised to get your "Thoughts" article Sunday. I had bookmarked your column and my Sunday routine was to check it out when I first signed on. Then, when I checked my e-mail, there you were.

    Kathy has said you are recuperating well at home. I'm glad to hear you are progressing well. We just don't bounce back as easily from surgeries as we used to, do we?

    Your article made me think of an old song: Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

    Pat Savage

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias presidente. Un abrazo.

    Juan Carlos Rebolledo

    ReplyDelete