Sunday, March 17, 2013

FOR THESE THINGS AND MORE I AM GRATEFUL (6)

It took me much longer than it should have, but I am grateful that the events of my life have brought me to the point where generally: I see more beautiful sights than ugly – I hear more pleasant sounds than harsh – I taste more good flavors than bad – I feel more soft objects than hard – I smell more sweet scents than repugnant.

Although I am well aware that good can only be enjoyed because bad exists, and that learning to distinguish and select the one over the other is an essential part of our progress, I am also grateful that the one has become more abundant in my life while the other has diminished.

Progress in my own life during the process of concentrating upon making my world a beautiful place can be illustrated by a series of events which began long before I was part of the chain.

When Kathleen was a young girl her father, Marlow V. Wootton, introduced her to one of his favorite authors, James Herriot, who had written a series of books based on the adventures of Herriot’s life as a veterinarian in the beautiful country sides of Wales. He used the first verse of a popular church hymn of the day for the titles of his books. All Things Bright and Beautiful – All Creatures Great and Small – All Things Wise and Wonderful – The Lord God Made Them All

During the road trips of the Empty Nestor period of our lives, Kathleen introduced me to these wonderful tales by reading aloud all of James Herriot’s books while we journeyed.

Several years ago we became aware of a television series based on Herriot’s books which had been produced by the British Broadcasting Company. Thanks to the marvels of DVD, as part of our date night for the next few years we enjoyed all seven years of this delightful series.

The basic themes which ran through the seven years of the television series were: beauty exists because we look for it – joy comes because we seek it – love is felt when we give it – wealth is a result of finding contentment with what we have – blessings are recognition of that for which we are grateful.

Because the original lines which stimulated this chain of events and ultimately impacted my life extensively were written by Cecil F. Alexander, to be included in an 1848 addition of Hymns for Little Children, this current generation probably has but a cursory knowledge of them. I will now spread the glad tidings by including his wonderful view of the world.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings

The purple headed mountains,
The river running by,
The sunset and the morning
That brightens up the sky.

The cold wind in the winter, The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden,
He made them every one.
The tall trees in the greenwood,
The meadows where we play,
The rushes by the water,
To gather every day.

He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.


Through the magic of cinema and television we all have been transported back to those earlier days. We are fairly cognizant that life was much different in 1848 when Cecil F. Alexander penned his poem and equally so when James Herriot wrote his novels during the early part of the 20th century. Strangely, the further we get form the drudgery of eating only what we plant and harvest or the rigors of plain crossing-pioneers or the limiting effects of living in a world where adventures were bound by the distance that could be walked in a day, the less we seem able to see the beauties which surround us – to hear the melodies of nature – to savor the fruits of the harvest – to touch the earth’s varied textures – to sniff the fragrances of the winds.

I am grateful that I have eyes to see, ears to hear, a tongue to taste, fingers to feel and a nose to smell. I am doubly grateful that most of the time, the experiences given to me by these senses bring me joy and pleasure.

Some time ago I heard a daughter praising and mourning her mother, who had been taken from her prematurely because of a tragic traffic accident, say “they say she has gone to a better place, I don’t see anything wrong with this world.”

I am sure that the art of cinema and television fall far short of the glories which we are yet to experience, but while I am privileged to remain on this beautiful planet I pray I will continue to extend the list of those things which are beautiful and wondrous in the world which surrounds me and that my gratitude for them will continue to grow.

TO BE CONTINUED

16 comments:

  1. gracias querido hermano el señor te llene mas maravillas .toda su creación para los ojos puros de quien observa .y esta agradecido por su creación y su ejemplo para mi es maravilloso.y me motiva segir adelante .

    Alejandrina Torres Ruiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pte y hermana Riley,

    Cuanto agradecemos sus mensajes, como siempre inspirados y maravillosos, elevan el alma y nos fortaleces.
    Que el Señor les bendiga por esta manera de llegar a más hijos de Dios.

    Constanza y Héctor Hernández

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saliendo de una gripa, leyendo tus pensamientos, doy gracias por tu amistad y la de la hermana Kathy.

    Gracias muchas.

    Armando & Chela Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  4. hola creo que no soy en unico que les agradece de sus lindos y buenos mesages inspiradores tengo ya casi tres a mas años recibiendolos y leyendolos muchas veces me dan en el alma otras en mi orgullo otras en mi sencibilidad pero siemre aprendo algo de sus mesajes y eso no es todo por lo que le agradesco le agradesco por su tiempo por tu amor y por este gran y hermos servicio el cual ustedes llevan a tantas personas presicente riley le dejo mi amor y amistad sincera para usted y su familia muchas bendciones un fuerte abraso para su esposa y digale que su trabajo con escriba es importante y gracias al traductora y en fin muchas bndicones para ustedes hasta una proxima

    Diego Jair Renteria

    ReplyDelete

  5. I have struggled so long up that steep and narrow path.

    As I reach my twilight years I come once again ti a fork in this road.

    One path leads relentlessly upward; appears to be the path my namesake Paul may have taken.

    The other appears to broaden ... and what? Perhaps have a slightly downward slope.

    I have "fought the good fight." And am weary and deserving.

    We who are sometimes so bold as to characterize ourselves as Christians and would hold him up as our exemplar might do well to examine how He met the challenges facing Him during the latter days of His time on earth.

    When it came time to drink of that bitter cup, to face that fork in His own path, how did He react? Did He take the broader path or that narrow path up that brutal hill?

    When His disciple Paul neared the end, did he ask that his burdens be lifted or did he say rather that it was his joy that they should have been granted him to bear?

    Not too much into scriptures, so just wondering,

    Paul Maddow


    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do agree with your thoughts! I, too, am an avid reader of all of James Herriot books! I'm glad you were able to purchase the DVDs!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Brother Riley,

    Just a note to let you know how much I enjoy reading your THOUGHTS and a BIG thank you for sharing them with all of us.

    We have actually been going through a time when the road has been a bit "bumpier" than usual, and it never fails to help me to appreciate the "smooth sailing" all the more. It's like we take the "smooth sailing" for granted, until the sailing is not so smooth! Guess we need these little reminders every now and then, to REALLY appreciate when life is just "good".

    "All Things Bright and Beautiful" is one of my favorite songs. I have it on a CD in my car by the Mormon Tabernacle choir (where all the women are singing it) and it is such a beautiful, sunny arrangement. Hopefully you have heard that one? It never fails to lift my spirits and fill me with gratitude----and I will listen to it over and over riding along in my car until my eyes are filled with tears of gratitude, and I feel so blessed just to be alive and blessed with the knowledge of the gospel.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing something that is very near and dear to me, too.

    Janice Wells

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pres. Riley,

    You write very well, but of course I am not surprised. I remember hearing you say, when someone complained about Christmas things being brought out before Halloween, that you wished the Christmas spirit could last all year. We should be grateful for the feelings we have at that time of year.
    And reading "All things bright and beauriful" was so refreshing. I love the words that the children sing, but reading the entire poem was lovely.
    It has been wonderful to see both of you recently. You look wonderful! May you continue to be blessed with good health and happiness!
    I look forward to receiving more of your writing.

    Thank you!

    LaRene & Loren too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things to be grateful for: Your timely and wise messages, your friendship, and your good health as you celebrate a great b-day.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved james herriot's books as a child and i remember seeing some of the tv shows too!

    Pandora Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muchas gracias Presidente...Sí, sencillamente es maravilloso reconocer al creador de todas estas maravillas que nos rodean y lo más importante es disfrutar escoger lo mejor por más sencillo e insignificante que parezca para otros...Descubrir lo bonito en lo feo...Saborear lo dulce en lo amargo...Atesorar el amor del Salvador en las pruebas...

    Aura Elena Thalliens Acosta

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hno. Riley muchas gracias por sus mensajes Los aprecio y disfruto mucho. Hoy voy a buscar las aventuras del veterinario Ingles para compartirlas con mi familia y tambien me gustaria ver las series de television. Estoy segura que será una buena experiencia para todos.

    Maryi Cuellar

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'm sorry for taking so long to express my feelings concerning this particular Page of Sabbath Thoughts.

    It's always nice when one can appreciate the beauty that is all around us, even more so when you can share it withpeople you have come to love for various reasons. I have never been a person that see's past the wonders of this beautiful planet of ours just made for us. How can one open their eyes first thing in the morning and not smile with gratitude for the joy of living another day and see for your first glance of the day, a beautiful blue sky and feel the warmth of the sun! Our job is to go out and enjoy it , be thankful for it and to share it with others. I remember going up to "Big Bear" to ride a ski lift to the top, and as we were driving up there, I was making comments on the scenery, well, my date said, "I have never met or been out with anyone that appreciates this world more than you. You must really love life!" I was a little embarrassed for a moment, then realized that wasn't a slam, but an honest
    compliment. I guess I always was a "cheap date!" However that is the way I have always felt, nothing gives me greater joy than to enjoy the beauty of our world.

    Thank you Bill for being in my world and being so kind as to share your beautiful thoughts with me and all the rest of your admirers with your
    "Thoughts For A Sabbath Day" they truly help us to think and be appreciative for what we have been given in life!

    Forever friends,

    Erma Neff Ward

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the Thought this week. I needed something to help me remember the good things in life. John has had 2 surgeries this past week and is recovering in Renown Hospital. He is doing better and will go into rehab soon. Spring has arrived in Reno and it helps to see buds on the trees and Spring flowers blooming. I will look up and not down this week.

    Thanks again,

    Naomie Buccumbuso

    ReplyDelete