Sunday, March 24, 2013

FOR THESE THINGS AND MORE I AM GRATEFUL (7)


Since I believe in a pre-mortal existence, I also believe that the development of our spirits in that estate was extensive and that we brought many of our prejudices, preferences, personalities and performances with us into mortality.
However, I also believe that the experiences of mortality have a great influence in the further development of the kind of eternal being we will eventually become. I believe that the activity which most significantly influences the added upon experiences of our present estate is the interaction we have with others. There seems to be necessity that we continue our progression until our body and our spirit develop into a harmonious eternal being.

In this, as in all things, the Savior is our example. We know that He was greatest among us as we dwelt with our Heavenly Parents in our pre-mortal experience, even becoming nigh unto The Father in all things. We also know that His interactions with – the listeners of every sermon He gave – those whose wounds He bound – every wayward person He chastised – all for whom he completed the Atonement and Crucifixion added to His development until he became perfect like unto the Father in all things.

In life we have relationships which – are momentary, but have a lasting significance in our lives – are continuous and constant and all too often taken for granted – come in a season of greatest need and then disappear into the recesses of foggy remembrances and spring back into consciousness in unexpected moments – are generated by word alone without any personal earthly interactions with their authors and aid significantly in our development.

MOMENTARY

A second grade teacher who ingrained – until students know you care they won't really care what you have to say.

A junior high couch who ingrained – heart is more important than stature
.
A beginning algebra teacher who ingrained – creative thinking can resolve more problems than formulas.

A college religion teacher who ingrained – there can be endless discovery in searching the scriptures.

CONTINUOUS

A mother and father who ingrained – there are consequences which follow good and also bad choices in life.

A wife who ingrained – love is the securest of relationships and that only with love can anyone hope to move others to desire to fulfill their purposes of life.

Children who ingrained – stewardships will only have lasting effects if they are ministered with patience and hope.

Grandchildren who ingrained – the reality that the extent to which one’s circle of love can be extended is limitless.

IN THE SEASON

Playmates of early childhood who ingrained – the marvels which come from shared hours of exploration and thereby expanding thoughts into delightful areas of imagination and fantasy.

Teens with whom I travelled troubled waters who ingrained - who picked me up when I stumbled, who calmed me when angry, who brought laughter and joy in days of dreariness and who introduced me to the mysteries and pangs of romantic love.

Missionary companions who ingrained– through demonstrating the work ethic, that there are energies which move us to performances beyond exhaustion and instilling the philosophy that the salvation of others is more important than our own comfort.

Friendships cemented on the sporting fields who ingrained – the limitations of growth through competition and the unlimited growth which comes through cooperation.

Colleagues of my chosen career who ingrained – by their examples and talents the need to keep a growing edge and gave understanding to the dangers of contentment.

Church calling colleagues who ingrained – the understanding that generally councils come to better solutions than individually made decisions.

WORDS

The Holy Scriptures which ingrained – the assurance that every reading, every searching will bring added enlightenment, encouragement and enduring hope.

Words from books, media and conversations which ingrained – the attitude that we must be ever alert to the inspirations which will spring forth from unsuspecting sources, implanting thoughts which will indelibly mark one’s life and enhance the passage.

Hence, we not only come to know that no man is an island, but also, it is constantly affirmed that without one another we cannot become all we can be.

For all who have been part of my life and those who are now part of my life and those who will yet be part of my life, I am grateful. Thank you so very much!

TO BE CONTINUED

17 comments:

  1. Gracia me gusto.

    Alexander Ospino Rubio

    ReplyDelete

  2. Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    Mar 25
    Message starred
    FROM Paul TO You
    Read Second, Fwd: Re: Thoughts
    Show Details

    From

    Paul

    To

    Bill Riley

    Bill,
    As I see it, for the little that might be worth to any other, there do seem to be things that a person may presume to know.
    I know whom I love. I presume that others experience similar knowing, so I conclude that "We know" love.
    I am grateful for many things, too varied to enumerate here. I presume that others share similar experiences and feelings, so this too I conclude that "We know!"
    I have a bond with my wife and sons. Were I by some strange event to learn that an accident had occurred in the hospital and one of my sons was not of my seed, I know that the bond I have with my son would not diminish. There are others I believe share similar bonds with their families and I conclude that "We know!" these bonds are real, genuine.

    I have experienced what I believe (and what Paulette has related to believe) to be many events, major and seemingly minor, (none insignificant) the accumulation of which are beyond the bounds of chance. What Jung termed synchronicity. Others relate similar experiences, interventions. Though these are anecdotal as evidence, the aggregation of such evidence seems to me to be overwhelming. In any event I know God is active in my life and the witness of others leads me to believe that as a human family "We [may] know!"

    This faith, based on things not directly seen or experienced by me, does not serve me as reason to believe that I am able to see into the heart or mind or somehow fathom the veracity of the internal experience of another. It does not provide me the capability of knowing things about this or other worlds which my experience or that of our best scientists have never been able to verify. God, as I conceive Him, does that, not I or any being, yet in the human condition.
    P


    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: Thoughts
    Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:39:31 -0400
    From: Paul
    To: William Riley


    "We know?"
    It becomes increasingly annoying to me, indeed frightening, as more and more assert that they KNOW that which they are unable to support with tangible fact or reason to justify their knowing.
    Why frightening? To support their confidence in knowing they must convince others to likewise know. As they follow in this fog of "knowledge", they must see others follow. They must believe and be believed; enough so that a true believer will gladly give his or her life for such a belief.
    Jones town, Hitler, ... The Catholic Church, Islam, ... Jesus, Joseph.
    Such is the nature of minds rewired around a great empty hole.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  3. estarè esperando el desenlace, gracias por su mensaje presidente.

    Familia Guzmàn Famila.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss hearing from you snd reading your very inspirational insights

    thank you love

    Kellee Kiley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother Riley,

    I will make the move with you. Thank you so much for all you do.

    Pete Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have not read it yet, but just the title touched my heart.
    Thank you Brother Riley!

    Robert McConell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good. Just keep 'em coming!

    Love,

    karen wright

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sending your thoughts every week....they are loved.
    Hope both of you have a Happy Easter.

    Charlene Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bill,
    I do enjoy your thoughts for a Sabbath day and have added you blog to my favorites. keep them coming.

    Thanks

    Ted Thacker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your efforts - I am so glad to still be on the list.

    Maureen Sidley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brother Bill;
    Thanks a lot for your emails,

    With love

    Martha De La Vega

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for being diligent and patient, and continuing to produce your thoughts, even if it is not as convenient to publish. As usual, you have given us much to consider, and share.
    May you and Kathleen have a wonderful, meaningful Easter.

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do not worry, I understand that it's not easy, I too complicated with this cyberspace

    guillermo sanahuano cardenas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the lovely Easter thoughts. We really enjoy your writing.

    Hope you have a great Easter.

    Dolores & John LeSueur

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate being able to add one more "THOUGHTS" to your folder! I so enjoy reading and rereading them! Thank you for sharing with me!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bill, thanks you always give me much to think about in your "thoughts"

    Marlyn Young

    ReplyDelete
  17. Y yo estoy agradecido de que un hijo de Nuestro Padre Celestial en un lejano lugar se preocupe por darnos a saber tantas verdades exitentes para que tengamos un mejos vivir

    eulises lotero torres

    ReplyDelete