Sunday, May 26, 2013

MAY WE EVER LEARN

On my way to the Newport Beach Temple last Saturday morning I was listening to a Memories album produced by Reader’s Digest. The song written by Pete Seeger in the early 1960’s and performed by the Kingston Trio was playing. There were other golden oldies which played as I finished my drive, but my thoughts were stuck on this dramatic folk song.

Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing. Where have all the flowers gone? Long time ago. Where have all the flowers gone? Young girls picked them, ev'ry one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone? Long time passing. Where have all the young girls gone? Long time ago. Where have all the young girls gone? They are all in uniform. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing. Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago. Where have all the young men gone? Gone to soldiers ev'ry one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time passing. Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time ago.
Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards, ev'ry one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the graveyards gone? Long time passing. Where have all the graveyards gone? Long time ago. Where have all the graveyards gone? Covered in flowers, ev'ry one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the flowers gone? Oooh oooh. Where have all the flowers gone? Long time ago.
Where have all the flowers gone? Young girls picked them ev'ry one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

By the time I reached the doors of the Temple I had mentally inventoried the nations of the globe and had pretty much covered the world in red. I was struck with the reality that during my life the tragedies of war and conflict had been poured out upon all of Heavenly Father’s children. None had escaped viewing the brutal deaths of loved ones and fellow citizens.

In my mind I had made a list of all the causes of the tragedy which had been inflicted upon the inhabitants of the world through the ages. Desire for power – lust for wealth – hatred – prejudices – misrepresentations of religious purposes – misguided understanding of one’s importance - etc.

There was no doubt that we were caught in the vicious cycle of going from collecting flowers to collecting flowers. In clarity, the truth that ‘we have never learned’ blazed in my brain. I also realized the commission the Lord gave to the church through the Prophet Joseph Smith, to proclaim peace and denounce war, was falling far short of being fulfilled. (Doctrine and Covenants 98:16, 17 and Doctrine and Covenants 105:38-40)

As I prepared to perform my sealing duties I realized I needed to have a different frame of mind if I was going to enjoy the spiritual awakenings which often attend the performance of these ordinances. I decided to concentrate on the people who were performing the ordinances and also those for whom the ordinances were being performed.

I soon realized that hearts were being turned between the living towards those who had passed on and were awaiting the performance of those ordinances on their behalf, but I also felt the feelings of the hearts of those present in the room being turned toward one another.

I mentally started taking note of the nations which were represented in the work being performed during that hour in that wondrous building. My mind flew across the continents as I ticked off North and South America, Europe, Africa, Australia, the isles of the sea. We were all there united and of one heart, doing our part for our brothers and sisters who likewise came from places nearby and far away.

As I inventoried the variety of beautiful faces and imagined the faces of those for whom the work was being performed a new list of why we were there uniting our hearts, filled my soul. Love of brothers and sisters – absence of prejudices – blindness to pigmentation of skin – no political contentions – social status’ made mute – etc.
In one short hour the hearts of hundreds of the sons and daughters of Heavenly Parents had become knit in an eternally significant way.

Even though my sampling was too small to be statistically significant, the thought quickly came into my mind that this short couple of hours of my life was being duplicated 8-14 hours each day, five days a week, 48 weeks a year in 145 Temples scattered around the world. The multiplying of the numbers made me realize that these gatherings could not in any way be considered insignificant.

The concept of proclaiming peace took on a new and expanded meaning and I realized that we were indeed working at fulfilling the commission to unite the children of God, which the Lord had placed upon us in this Latter Day preparatory period.

May we ever learn! May we ever learn!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Brother Riley,

    I always enjoy reading your Sunday thoughts. Thanks for sending them.

    I came across these scans while cleaning out the hard drive and thought you'd like them for your 3 Nephite folder (you may already have the story!).

    Best regards,
    Russell Bell

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracias por esos pensamienos tan excelentes

    Jehu Fontana Núñez

    ReplyDelete
  3. gracias hno. se sin ninguna duda que las ordenanzas que se hacen en los templos por nuestros antepasado son sagradas y nos unen mas a nuestras familias. bendiciones

    Jeny Anzora

    ReplyDelete
  4. gracias hermano como siempre por tan lindo mensaje ,mientras lo leia vino a mi mente cuando entre por primera ves a la sala de sellamiento para prestar mi cuerpo para sellar hijos a sus padres y uno deja de ser uno y pasa a ser la persona que esta representando ,realmente es maravilloso ,y maravilloso poder aprender que es nuestra responsabilidad proclamar la paz .

    Marta Cristina Mujica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, Dear Bill,
    With sympathy toward your idealism I must part ways with you on this. I should withhold my thoughts but at some risk shall share these.
    With respect to war, who are those who enter and work in the temples? ... And who are they when they walk out and drive away to participate in this world where they follow their chosen leaders into the "protection" of their freedom and "way of life" ... not here but in almost every land and nation on planet earth (as you so moved me). When this protection is done by diplomacy, it is by the diplomacy of implied power. Where threat of power fails my anecdotal experience with those with temple recomends has been that they have been quite ready to support the use of raw power when necessary. And when is it necessary? Their political leanings and affiliations have guided them, like the star over Bethlehem, towards the feeling that it is very often necessary; and justified when used.
    God lives! I am told one can feel his presence in the temple. There is such peace in the temple. Go often. God is there.
    And of the world outside? And the "saints" who toil there? By their works ye shall know them. Words, feelings however warm, even church encouraged donations count for naught when personal actions dis-affirm those gentle thoughts.
    "Where have all the flowers gone?" What worth flowers that have been fertilized (metaphorically) by the carnage of human flesh and blood?

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning…… brought back some great memories…. I enjoyed Peter Paul & Mary back in the day and they also had a rendition of Where Have all the Flowers Gone ….. so heard their voices as I read :o) Great analogy as always!!! Thanks for jogging my brain this morning…. Always fun to remember things….. cleaning the house I’d put on Peter Paul & Mary or Herb Alpert if I had a lot to do!!!

    Well, more than you needed to know….. have a good weekend!

    Mar Lou Myers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bill, Your interesting and inspiring reflections are right on our HP lesson The Joy of Redeeming the Dead (Elder RG Scott Oct 2012) Can you be ready to comment on your experience if you are at our HP meeting tomorrow. If not am I free to quote you in part?

    Thanks

    Dave Farr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this thought. Yesterday as I worked in the Draper Temple, I was officiating in a session where there was a young man, maybe in his late 20s being endowed -- own endowment. I watched him through the session and his expressions, tears, etc. really touched me. He was heavily tatooed and I could only imagine the life he had left behind to now come to the beautiful and glorious life in the gospel. He lingered in the Celestial room for a very long time. A co-worker had commented to me how odd it seemed to see someone like that in the temple. I just couldn't get over how wonderful it was to see someone "odd like that" in the temple. Gotta love the gospel!!!

    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias mil. Pot Los pensamientos tan edificantes .


    Armando Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I will continue to hope."
    I too want to continue to hope. Hope is eternal.
    "Faith, Hope and Love, these three"
    If Love is the greatest, it is NOT the spoken word of love. Not
    sentimental love: I love my dog. Not demonstrative love: my, he gives
    more than his tithe; he gives til it hurts; he is so caring, so generous
    to others and surpasses in obedience to his callings. But rather in the
    love he gives to the unseen, the unknown stranger. The foreigner's
    child on the other side of the barricade. The perverted child of the
    pervert. Evil ones, remorseful, attempting redemption, however much
    still out of tune with my own biases. Love requiring humility, the
    requirement without which we humans are unable to begin to love as God
    wants us to.
    Ah, if I could even believe myself to have approached that, perhaps I
    too could hope as you do.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful Bro Riley. Thank you so much!!

    Rosemarie Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! What a beautiful way to start my Sabbath! I always save them until Sunday morning!
    All is well here and trust you are both doing well too!

    My love to you both!

    Kathie Brookes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, another thought that touches the heart.

    Craig Eyre, Reno

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very significant thoughts. Yesterday I was at Aliso Creek Beach and noted as we were leaving about 8 boys about 15 years old with towels wrapped around them just having a good time at the beach. My mind flashed forward a few years and thought how many of them might die on a battlefield somewhere. War seems to be ever present--all the time we spend raising these boys. We have learned very little it seems. And it seems so strange that we have to resort to war so often. I look for the Prince of Peace in the restored gospel, as our ways alone don't seem to be enough.

    Barbara Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I've contemplated the words to this song I, too, have seen the continual circle of life and the ravagement of war. It is such a sad song and I've often wondered if, when people sing these words, do they truly internalize them? The words and their meanings are terribly depressing to put it mildly! I never cared to sing this song as I prefer words that are uplifting and give me hope for a better world. Each generation should become better than the one before and I certainly don't see this happening!
    Without the Church, I would find it difficult to face the world each day with a smile and with a happy song! With the Church, there is hope for a better world some day ~~ one filled with love and righteous works. No more war and desolation! I long for the peace the gospel brings. So, I'll continue to love to sing the songs of Zion and rejoice in my Savior's love.

    Love,

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for a very meaningful prespective.

    Marilyn Young

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your thoughts on where have all the flowers gone. Well stated, we think the same things!!!

    Happy summer.

    Linda Krupp

    ReplyDelete
  19. I stand corrected ~~ you are right!!! You put it perfectly and I can find nothing wrong in what you said about songs "pointing out our frailities and encouraging us to change for the better". Thank you!

    Our society is reflecting why we are indeed in the last days. Our general authorities have said "it's not going to get better" and bless them! they do try to prepare us for what's coming. I pray we may all endure to the end and be found faithful.

    Best wishes always!

    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete