Sunday, June 16, 2013

LAST REMEMBRANCES OF FATHER

Even though the events now seem trivial, during my youth I often felt like the world was conspiring against me. It was a feeling that was always fleeting and easily dispelled by the next time I was at bat or scored higher on the next algebra test. Quickly failure was replaced by success as I moved on to the next exhilarating adventure. It seemed like the crushing blows of life were frequent in those tumultuous teen years, but in retrospect I now know they were short-lived and of little lasting effect.

The heaviness I felt as I left St. George, Utah was much different. As I joined the other cars on the freeway speeding to Las Vegas, the overwhelming weight did not dissipate. Even as I boarded the plane for my return flight to Reno, Nevada my burden seemed stifling. Touching ground and greeting my wife did little to dispel the heaviness that was pressing upon my heart. Several days would pass before the ‘lesson to be learned’ would begin to work its miracle of relief upon my agonizing soul.

Just before leaving St. George, I had gone to visit my father who was in a nursing home recovering from a recent operation. The words of warning my mother had used were inadequate to fully prepare me for what would happen as I entered my father’s room. The toll of living more than 85 years and the recent operations were immediately obvious, but the real telling blow was hidden deep within the faltering mind of this man who had been such an important and influential part of my life for over 45 years.

As I bent to give my father a hug and to greet him with a kiss it suddenly became apparent that his bright eyes had now been dimmed by time, his ears now received only silence, and his mind was clouded. There was no recognition of father/son relationship. Where had all the memories of childhood games gone? Where were the wonderful words of counsel? Where was the warmth of love exchanged? All were absent surrounded by a numbing blur, and in their place that suffocating feeling distilling upon me as I realized that my father did not know me. All had been erased and I had become a stranger to him.

Almost a month passed before circumstances allowed me to return to St. George to visit my parents again. The trauma of my last visit was still vibrant and alive in my system and caused a large amount of fear to follow me into the nursing home as my mother, my son Troy and I entered the small cavity where my father had mostly slept for the last month. The room was vacant which caused my heart to skip a few beats and a different kind of feeling flooded over me.

We found dad sitting quietly by himself in the recreation room which had been converted into a chapel for worship services which were being held that morning. It was warming to see him grasp my mother’s hand as she greeted him. Then his still dimmed eyes rose to meet mine. His silenced ears strained to hear my words and then it was there – that wonderful smile – and the words forming on his lips, “Bill, I’m so glad you have come.” He knew me once again! The memories of shared years did not return, cloudiness soon rolled back over his eyes, his world once again went silent. But for one last wonderful second the warmth of love was felt and father and son were together again.
Frederick William Riley was only to live a short while longer, but with the lesson well learned his passing was made easier.

Time may dim our senses and block our ability to recall, but deep within the soul of each of us is indelibly recorded the relationships, experiences and interchanges of life.

Reality tells us that for all of us the day will come when even our greatest sorrows of mortality will be forgotten and we have the assurance we will be moving on to brighter and more exhilarating adventures.

Eternally I will be grateful that the majority of the relationships, experiences and interchanges between me and my father were joyful and positive. I am so grateful that when we meet again both of our minds will have been quickened and the corruptible parts of our beings will have been raised incorruptible. How marvelous it will be that in the brightness of that perfect light I will once again see my father’s smile and hear the words coming from his lips, “Bill, I’m so glad you have come.”

22 comments:

  1. Hermoso pensamiento muchas gracias querido presidente
    como siempre alimentando y aliviando nuestras almas
    en especial ahora que en nuestro pais celebramos el dia del padre
    y nos hace recordar las bendiciones de haber nacido de buenos padres.
    Dios le bendiga y saludos a su esposa.

    att.
    Christian Molina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buenas Tardes

    Gracias hermano por sus multiples correos, llenos de buenos pensamientos, un saludo

    Cristian Oswaldo Cristancho Celis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Thank you, Bill. Happy Father's Day!

    Mary Moorhead

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would that everyone's relationship with their earthly parents could be so positive. I want to strive to be such a parent for my children; not very confident that I have done well, but still trying.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thank you (tearfully) for these beautiful thoughts.

    Patricia Proffit

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-) wonderful! Happy Father's Day

    Christine Riley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always Love your thoughts but I especially appreciated this one! Sooo true!!!!

    Cevin Riley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Bill,

    The tears flow as I read your beautiful words.

    Your wonderful ability to put into words my feelings.

    My husband Jerry was a wonderful father, he passed away in 2007… during his last days I was so very blessed to KNOW where he was

    going and the knowledge that I can be with him.

    I too know he will say… “I am so glad you have come”.

    Thank you!

    With love,

    Karen Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Espero esa luz para volver a abrazar a mi padre y pedirle perdón por no haberlo comprendido lo suficiente :(

    Obeida Diaz Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete
  12. So poignant and well said. Those of us with loving Fathers are fortunate, indeed.

    Sue Ann Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gracias recorde......

    Alexandra Ramos Anturi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear President Riley,

    Although I enjoy all of your messages, this one was particularly poignant on this Father's Day. Thank you.

    Ross Hugues

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gracias hermano por el mensaje ,muy lindo y con enseñanza como siempre ,y mas hoy que es el dia del padre aqui en Argentina

    ,nuevamente ,gracias

    Marta Cristina Mujica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Bill. And...Happy Father's Day.

    Words from Wendy Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mosiah 13:20

    “Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."

    Honor:

    1. (transitive, US) To show respect for.

    2. (transitive, US) To conform to, abide by, act in accordance with (an agreement, request, or the like).

    My father who was on earth was thought of by his peers and followers as a man of principle, character. He was known as a brilliant scholar who had an understanding of subtleties, he had a great sense of humor, wit; was kind; went to great extents to help some who were needy, e.g., alcoholics, recover through the strength of Christ and longsuffering Christian support: with gentleness but also with tough love (clear expectations). His efforts were often blessed with success. Throughout his life as a Baptist preacher he asked for meager financial recompense. We, his family, lived always somewhere at the lower end of middle class, on the edge of being poor. We never felt poor; as he pointed out, God always provided.

    · Matthew 15:4

    "For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death."

    To the extent that his irrepressible bigotry bordering on disdain, even hatred may be excused without annulling his passionate love and spirit of giving for others (of his kind!), my father was a good man. (He always expressed his biases in Christian terms, a la McConkie).

    Living in my father's home I seldom remember a moment of wise personal counsel from him, nor do my siblings. He was primarily other oriented, in this case, other than his children. I suppose that he felt that by listening to his sermons over the years we would get all the wise counsel he had to offer. It was my fault that my attention wandered in church. I may have missed out to some extent on that wise counsel.

    It’s not easy for me to hold my father in a place of high regard. He didn’t seem so smart to me, just had a sticky memory and gift at expression. He didn’t seem so kind either as I witnessed it’s selectivity. His giving to others was with an expectation of compliance, conformity, that I witnessed in his home.
    On the other hand he encouraged, at least tolerated, independent and non-conforming thinking in us, so long as it was not too far beyond the pale of his own philosophy, society’s views were grist for the mill. But don’t bring disrepute on our household. (Actually I don’t remember my siblings being quite as fearless as I in taking advantage of this freedom. Perhaps he recognized me as incorrigible and tolerated me as an exception, I don’t know; a child’s memories are subject to some level retroactive falsification.)

    At any rate I shall always refrain from cursing my father. My life is already approaching “long” on this earth, and although not afraid to die, I’m going for longer. :)

    But life is not meant to be lived in the rear view mirror.

    So I must “let the dead bury their dead.” And look to my own responsibilities.

    We who not only have fathers but are fathers have accepted a lifelong commitment of love:

    Mosiah 4:14

    "And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the devil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness."

    Being retired as I am and growing long of tooth I would like to rest and to just enjoy these latter years,

    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep. (Robert Frost)

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uncle Bill,
    This was a wonderful,
    touching tribute to Grandpa.

    Dan Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  19. Touched my heart. As the years pass we will be the father, or mother that has dimmed for the future of our mortality but eternally our memories and relationships will be heightened as we enter our next phase - Eternal Life. How merciful the Lord is to us, the plan is good and right. Bless you for sharing -

    Sister Bonnie Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m the branch president of a Spanish Speaking Branch here in Marysville Washington, and last Sunday I had a family of new converts give talks on Sacrament for father’s day, The husband was very nervous a couple of days before saying that he could not think on anything, I forward him the last email from you guys on “Things that I learned from my father” he read a couple of parts and added his own words, he did great, I will keep this one on file for next year.

    Thanks for helping our new members

    Eduardo Montero

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again Bro. Riley and Kathleen! That last paragraph is the one of testimony that brings constant comfort to us all, even when our parents were not blessed with the gospel in this life. Our Heavenly Father allows for further growth and understanding for all of us after we leave this existence to go to a grander and holier one! You'd have thought my parents were members, the way they taught me.

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete