Sunday, March 30, 2014

TO DECIDE OR NOT TO DECIDE

In life there are some decisions we make and some decisions life makes for us.

We can either become victims to the decisions life makes for us or we can decide to be victorious over what life has decided for us.

There are times in life when we can set goals and prioritize our schedules. There are also times in life when priorities and goals are dramatically altered by unscheduled occurrences.

Very few of life’s decisions remain unaltered and sometimes need a complete overhaul.

Since long ago I became aware that most of what I think and say has been thought and said by many others. I, therefore, am sure that the statements with which I have opened this week’s Thought will have probably been said in one way or another by someone, somewhere. However, the unplanned events of the last couple of weeks (Kathleen having an appendectomy) have brought thoughts about how much of life we are really in control and how much of life we are just part of the ebbing of life’s tides.


CHILDHOOD:

I didn't really have much to say about where I lived, but I did have control over how much of my environment I was going to enjoy.

I didn't really have much to say about what meals were put on the table, but I had a lot to say about how much of those meals I would eat.

I didn't really have much to say about the schools where I was to receive my elementary education, but I did have a lot of control of how much education I would take from those schools.

I didn't really have much to say about my church affiliation, but I did have a lot to say about how much faith I was gaining in its tenets.

TEENHOOD:

I cannot always control the mobs and masses which begin to surround me, but I can select those among the many I wish to make part of the influences in my life.

I cannot always control what and how a teacher teaches, but I can control what I choose to learn.

I cannot always control the level of language which invades my spaces, but I can control the language which fills my mind and leaves my mouth.

I cannot always control the choices which even my closest friends are making, but I can control my degree of involvement in those choices.

ADULTHOOD:

I may not be able to determine the declarations of governments, but I am able to determine my reactions to those declarations.

I may not be able to avoid the consequences of the ways others use their agency, but I am able to control the degree of bitterness or anger stimulated in me by those events.

I may not be able to fulfill all of my dreams and ambitions, but I am able to control the amount of fulfillment I have in the roles I have been given to play.

I may not be able to make my mountain of minutia as large as I would like, but I can like the stuff I have.

EXPERIENCEHOOD:

I will not have a lot to say about the adjustments my body makes as it ages, but I can make an adventure out of adjusting.

I will not have a lot to say about the friends of youth going the way of all the earth, but I can enjoy those who are still on the upper side of the grass.

I will not have a lot to say about the reversing of parent and child roles, but I can be supportive of those who are finding their way in their new roles.

I will not have a lot to say about the repetition of generational mistakes, but I can strive to ease their burden by not becoming burdensome.

GENERALHOOD:


Just because the whole world seems to be rushing toward decay I can choose to keep my small corner of existence clean, well nurtured and alive.

Just because some find a necessity to pray only when the plane is plummeting I can choose to have continual communication with my Father.

Just because others find it difficult to testify of the reality of Eternal Truths doesn't mean I can't become a publisher of peace.

Just because others choose a shortsighted selfish way of life doesn't mean I can't dedicate my life to bringing joy and happiness to others.

When all is said – agency remains paramount – we all make the final decision on all that is decided in our lives!!

9 comments:

  1. Speaking of which:
    I had both my knees replaced January 6 and my mother died March 8. We can't choose the timing of some of life's event, but must deal with them as they come.
    When are we going to take another tour together?!!!
    Give Kathleen my love.

    Regards,
    Emily Pugmire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill said, " I can choose to have continual communication with my Father."
    "Pray without ceasing." KJB
    This spotlights the difference in praying as a discrete event during a discrete period of time versus living or (as in everyone' case I have known), attempting to live in a state, (an attitude if you will), of prayer. Only with a connection to one's God through prayer is it possible to live in a state, an attitude of love, of Love.

    " agency remains paramount"
    "But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it..." KJB
    Well, that's what God said, but what did He want? What was His plan? Why man? (By the way, this is a topic which eventually will have to be expanded. You already have the answers, of course :-).)
    What does God want? What do we want? What choice lies between those two? i.e., Who WILL eventually get His way, have what He has designed, He wants? Are His designs ever foiled, brought down? How about ours?

    I must agree that agency is paramount within the limited scope of control we have over our lives, and of those around us. It is of paramount importance that we accept the responsibility of that agency, and it's consequences. That agency is NOT paramount in determining the outcomes of our lives or much of what transpires during our brief sojourn here. God's will and design is paramount. He determines our birth circumstance, both genetic and environmental. He determines the turbulence and distress of the world around us. He determines plague and pestilence, and who is and is not afflicted; who is left behind and at what age and in what state.
    Even as I agree with the, shall we call it "paramount", importance of agency, I must caution those of us who are too often so very eager to congratulate our successes as the consequence of our good choices, that these so called choices have not always been as much ours as we so love ourselves that we assume.

    ReplyDelete

  3. A few examples may help you see this other perspective better. These must, emphasis, MUST, not be taken as rebuttals but rather as a view from another angle:
    "
    "control over how much of my environment I was going to enjoy" This appears to be very much environment dependent.
    "I did have a lot of control of how much education I would take from those schools" Same as above; school, neighborhood, home have tremendous consequences on learning. Don't think about ourselves vs. others in our class, our school, but as against others in other countries and other non-homes. If home environment isn't "paramount" to success at school, why do we bother to give thanks for good parents, etc.... it they are superfluous to our eventual success.
    "I did have a lot to say about how much faith I was gaining in its tenets." Faith seems so personal, and it is and can only be personal, but grant me this example, was it simply happenstance that you were on a mission when you had certain experiences which affected your faith, or could that environment have contributed? Agency within circumstance, not independent of it.
    " I can select those among the many I wish to make part of the influences in my life." Sometimes there are no, or few good choices. Sometimes we don't get to make our own choices. In the best cases there aren't that many awful choices.
    "I am able to determine my reactions" Since the advent of PTSD, science is proving this to be genetic, developmental and environmental. I am with you though that we can continue to improve control from whatever place we find oneself.
    In fact, that is the universal truth about agency is it not, what these THOUGHTS are about: we always do have choices, and how we make them has consequences for better or worse on our lives and the lives of others.
    Is that it?

    Just some afterthoughts on YOUR THOUGHTS,
    paul maddox

    P.S. My prayers, such as they are, are for you and Kathy, with you and Kathy that is, especially as she recovers from her surgery.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bishop. This is very timely. I am going to use it as a hand out in my Gospel Principles class today. It is lesson 4, Free Agency..

    You never know who you will affect with your actions so decide to be good!

    John Swapp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, I trust your sweetheart is okay and healing well. I really enjoyed your thought today.
    Thanks for you profound word assembly.
    Best to you and your wife

    Sent from your c-level headed friend

    Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, my brother, your thoughts are truly appreciated.

    Kent Reid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Brother Riley. You always give me the tonic to continue. I'm finding this journey with my son arduous, to say the least. Your wise counsel to not stoop into depression or play the role of a victim is perfectly timed. May all be well with you and your loved ones.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mi presi, cuan hermoso esta este pensamiento, gracias por la reflexión me deja, me sirve para el diario vivir.

    Solo me resta orar a mi padre por la recuperacion de la hna Kathleen y que Dios los bendiga

    con gran aprecio y cariño

    Hna Sandra Coral

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muchas gracias, una reflexión que comparto y me esfuerzo por vivir. Actuar sobre las cosas.

    Alex Ospina

    ReplyDelete