Sunday, April 13, 2014

VIEW POINT

It seemed to be his bench and his alone. The old man with the grizzled face, mostly covered by his uneven beard, was on his bench facing the Rio Verde every time we walked by on our way to buy passage across the river on a hollowed out log boat. Funny what things one remembers from times of long ago, but it was a veinte (twenty centavos) to ride one way across the river and another veinte to return.

At first our conversations with him were not much more than como esta, buenos dias and buenas tardes, but as the days passed we started to expand our conversations so that we finally found out much more about our dear wizened friend.

‘No, he did not sleep on the bench.’

‘Yes, he did have a hut where he lived with a son and his family.’

‘He loved to come and watch the riders on horseback come down from the mountain with their little bags of produce to trade at the market and then watch them retreat back up the mountain as dusk drew near.’

‘Yes, he did once live in the mountain and traveled weekly to the banks of the Rio Verde with his own small bags of produce, hoping he would earn enough to replace the two veintes it cost him to cross the river and a little more for his family’s needs.’

‘He loved the view looking up at the mountain which was his home for so many years, but longed for the views he enjoyed, in days gone by, looking down at the valley as the twists of the trail brought its beauty into view for enjoyable glimpses. There were times then when he would take a short break from his ride to or from the valley just to enjoy the wonder and magnificence of the beautiful valley.’

Flashing forward some 55 years later when our grandson CJ visited that same valley. The views he experienced were very different from my old friend who sat on his bench in the plaza and even different than the views I had seen when I was but a lad.

Dusty trails seen long ago by my old friend were replaced in my youth by a paved two lane highway running through town and recently a larger, busier city with few dirt roads were seen by CJ.

My dear friend had lived in a bamboo walled hut with dirt floors. I lived in stable home with cement floors and cold water. CJ enjoyed many more modern conveniences that were never imagined by my bench sitting friend when he was but a lad.

My ancient friend had soakingly forded the river, while I was barely splashed as I rode in a dugout boat. If CJ had a need to cross the river he could easily do it walking or riding over the modern bridge which now spanned the Rio Verde.

There are so many events and philosophies in life which alter our point of view depending upon differences of time, locations, religions, nationalities, education, social status etc.

As I read the reactions to the political decisions or indecisions which leaders are or are not making, it is obvious that one’s point of view is framed according to the aforementioned differences.

Likewise, beliefs we have about war, immigration, taxes, health care and many other policies which are being made, will affect multiple generations are shaped by the factors of our individual environments.

Even such things as the legality of choices will be altered according to the influences which have and do uniquely influence.

Generally, judgments about the levels of fanaticism of another’s religious practices don't seem to be hereditary, but often come from influences of people who preach the practices of tolerance and love.

Strangely, a person’s economic level is looked at as a result of luck, inheritance, laziness, greed or a multitude of other factors depending on the current circumstances one finds themselves in in society.

Without belaboring the subject, we would be very hard pressed to find a point of view we have which is not a result of where we were born and the points of view which were expressed as we moved toward our present and temporary time and place.

As my wonderful friend from long ago told me, if we are willing to open our eyes and look around we will find beauty whether we are looking up to view the mountain or whether we are looking down to view the beauty of the valley.

The next time we are about to loudly put down the point of view of another, it might be better if we pause to examine and evaluate where they are and what brought each of us to this point. And then maybe, just maybe, we might have a bit more understanding and compassion for who they are and what they think at this point on their eternal journey.

13 comments:

  1. Gracias hermano respetó su punto de vista su experiencia y su amor hacia los santos,

    un fuerte abrazo

    eulises lotero torres

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola hno wiilian gracias nuevamente por sus mensajes tan inspirados llenos de reflexion y de historia que independientemente del lugar en que vivamos, parece ser que son los mismos personajes con historias identicas.C ruzar el rio cauca en canoa por el sector rural del municipio de obando,valle del cauca era un espectaculo increible de mi juventud, y un hombre anciano era el que remaba sin parar y solo cobrara $ 5 pesos ida y regreso, pero lo que mas recuerdo eran sus historias llenas de emocion, aventura y coraje.

    un abrazo.

    gilberto antonio valencia Quiceno

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks once again, for grounding my thoughts, with comparisons to valuate where I stand! Thanks again to both of you for producing your Thoughts for a Sabbath Day!

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written, and so true.

    😃

    Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea verily and how could one rationalize our condition as a result of condensation of the particles produced by a random "Big Bang"?

    Paul Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Bill & Kathy. Your words always provide me with great new views.

    Sent from your friend

    by the Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Thanks, Bill, for such an amazing treat! Like you with your Spanish experience, I still hold such a fondness in my heart for Holland and the Dutch people."

    Bruce Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thx for this Thoughts, made me think, a lot! You have a way of doing that to me!

    Patti Walters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since thinking's about all my body is good for, I am most grateful HF gave me an inquiring mind! It's amazing how much the little things that we take so "for granted" in our youth, become so amazing as we age! I have thoroughly enjoyed these last few "Thoughts...!" Also, Lessons Learned! Great thought stimulators! Please, if I ever get too wordy/or share & you'd rather not get stuff, just let me know! I get so excited to find/learn/experience thoughts/feelings/epiphanies! I want to share with people I know think deeper thoughts, too! Not too many do that around my part of the "woodwork!" I study the Gospel way more than the "older" folks I live near!
    I love Easter Week! Each day has so much meaning, if we take each step with Him! As I was up, watching the Eclipse, I couldn't help thinking of His time in the Garden, & how close it might be to that same time, now! Goosebump time! Thx Bill & Kathy! I'm so happy to have a 'new' relationship with you 2, all these yrs later!

    Happy Tuesday!

    Patti Walters

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What could I add to this? To attempt to add would be to take away some of the beauty, the impact.
    For reasons known only to One, we are placed in time and place and circumstance for a purpose, again, known only to One. We each contrive to discern our purpose and that of others. We too often believe ourselves to have done so successfully; at times in our ignorance (or should I say arrogance, pride), with a degree of certainty. Your epistle makes me question whether any such discernment is possible in our current state. We are put where we are when we are and as we are.
    As to our purpose, responsibility: I believe our gift of need to pursue purpose remains intact even amidst life's uncertainties. When I was a child we sang a hymn with a dreary tune and chorus whose words were "toiling on, toiling on". Toiling seemed so burdensome and dreary, yet now I see life without toil as vacuous. Our natural desire to avoid toil is countered by our natural need to strive. So lest we think to belittle double-minded men, keep in mind that He made us that way. :-)
    “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage that we move on to better things.” Theodore Roosevelt

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have gotten a bit behind, printed thoughts make great bedtime reading, after scriptures.

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had CJ in my primary class also in the same class with Nickolas Hicks & one other spirited boy that I can't remember the name of ...I didn't think I'd last the year - but I did. The years bring many changes, don't they?

    Karen Cox Wright

    ReplyDelete