Sunday, December 4, 2016

LIGHT OF CHRIST

I am pretty sure all of us have them, so I won't cowardly shrink from disclosing one of mine. I want to put your minds at ease, since I am only plagued with my peculiar personal pet peeve periodically, it doesn't cause a lot of stress in my comings and goings.

There have been times when I have been afflicted with the utterances which excite my pet peeve in Sacrament Meetings, but more often it happens during Sunday School or Priesthood lessons. I am certain that as I reveal what it is I am bothered with, the most probable response from those who are reading this Thought will be, ‘WHAT????’

Hopefully, now that you have been properly prepared I will disclose my pet peeve. It always comes out in words similar to the following. ‘We need to hold up our light, so that others can be influenced by our good words and works.’

‘WHAT????’

I am so glad you asked.

I will begin by reminding us all of some of the words contained in a revelation received by Joseph Smith on the 27th and 28th of December, 1832 in Kirkland, Ohio.

This Comforter is the promise which I give unto you of eternal life, even the glory of the celestial kingdom; Which glory is that of the church of the Firstborn, even of God, the holiest of all, through Jesus Christ his Son—He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth; Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made. As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made; As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made; And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand. And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings; Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space—The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things. (Doctrine and Covenants 88: 4 -13)

There is no doubt in my mind that even the most casual perusal of these verses will leave all of us with the understanding that all light exists because of the Firstborn, even of God, the holiest of all, through Jesus Christ His Son. Therefore, whatever small beam might shine from my countenance exists because of whatever degree the Light of Christ has been given me is being manifest.

Lest we might erroneously think that mortalized heavenly spirits were somehow made exceptions of owing their lighted existence to the Savior, Joseph received the following words on the 6th of May, 1833.

I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world… (Doctrine and Covenants 93:2)

Jesus the Christ, while he was dwelling for a short time among the descendants of Lehi on the American continent, pronounced what I believe to be the clearest explanation of the light which we are admonished to hold up.

Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up—that which ye have seen me do. Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed. (Book of Mormon - 3 Nephi 18:24)

I am pretty sure that because of His overwhelming mercifulness the Savoir will smile and give a knowing nod at our selfness, as we proclaim to one another, that we have some form of independent light which we are capable of holding up. I am surer that He will graciously acknowledge our humbleness as we in this act of holding up light, recognize from whom all light and existence flows and continues.

Before I am deluged with scriptural references about holding up ‘our’ light, be assured that I am well aware of their existence, but I am also aware of continuous revelation of truth which flows from the Fountain of Light and, therefore, I recognize my dependent existence on He from whom all light flows. Without His light Bill would indeed be a very dull boy!

And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness. (Book of Mormon - Alma 38:9)

Just so you are aware of the pitiful person who writes these Thoughts for a Sabbath Day, just as I was finishing venting myself regarding this peculiar personal pet peeve another one came to mind which will probably be the topic for next week’s Thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment