Monday, December 26, 2016

THOUGHTS FOR A CHRISTMAS SEASON - THE SECOND DAY OF CHRISTMAS

MUSICAL CHRISTMAS STORY

I heard the bells on Christmas day that old familiar carol play, but in despair I bowed my head: There is no peace on earth. Hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men.

Then to my knees I went in prayer and plead with the Lord as I knelt there. Before scarcely a word I’d said a voice rang within my head. O come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant, oh come ye to Bethlehem.

Little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie. Above the deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by. Yet in the dark streets shineth the everlasting light. The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

For lo: the days are hastening on, by prophets seen of old, when with the ever circling years shall come the time foretold, when the new heaven and earth shall know the Prince of Peace their King.

The whole world sends back the song which now the herald angels sing. Glory, glory, to the new born King: Then, all is calm all is bright on this silent, holy night.

There, round yon Virgin Mother and Child, Holy Infant, so tender and mild. Sleep in heavenly peace.

Shepherds will wake at your sight, glories will stream from heaven afar, for Christ the Savior is born.

Son of God, love’s pure light beams from thy Holy face, the heaven born Prince of Peace, Son of Righteousness, light and life to all He brings.

Born to raise the sons of earth, born to give them second birth.

Joy to the world, the Lord has come, let earth receive her King.

How silently the wondrous gift is given.

But in this world of sin, where meek souls will receive him still, the dear Christ enters in.

With my prayer now done, Jesus the Christ my soul had won. In my mind the voice did cease to ring.

And then I heard the bells once more on Christmas sing, but now they pealed more loud and deep.

God is not dead, nor doth he sleep.

A voice, a chime, a chant sublime, peace on earth, good will to men.


THOUGHTS FOR A CHRISTMAS SEASON – WILLIAM L. & KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment