Sunday, June 18, 2017

LEARNING – DOING – BECOMING

How did we get from a lying on your back on the grass at night gazing at the stars generation to this present day instant gratification, constantly connected generation? I have even thought a time or two that such words as contemplating and pondering may soon become superfluous or at the very least their meanings will be lost.

SLOW DANCE

Credited to David L. Weatherford

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round or listened to the rain slapping the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly’s erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down. Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last.


Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask ‘how are you?’ Do you hear a reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down. Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last.

Have you ever told your child ‘we’ll do it tomorrow?’ And in your haste, not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch? Let a friendship die, ‘cause you never had time to call and say ‘hi?’

You better slow down. Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last.


When you run so fast to get somewhere you miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift…thrown away

Life is not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.


As one who has had a life time avocation as a people watcher, I have observed that even in matters which involve the eternities we want to have it all done right now. We want ALL the answers – We want the WHOLE story now – We want to ACHIEVE perfection yesterday.

Even with all his accomplishments, Brigham Young, the Mormon Moses, built stoops and verandas on his homes. He once said it would not surprise him if after death it would take him millions upon millions of ‘years’( as we count them) to learn and understand enough to be prepared to be perfected.

I know it isn't a formula for ‘all of God’s children’, because it is based on patience or dancing slowly, but I have become comfortable with a slow dance formula for working on putting on the characteristics, attributes and perfections of Godliness. Even in my days of lengthening shadows, I am grateful that the Lord has promised me that the song will not be over until long after I pass from mortality and receive my Final Resurrection.

THE FORMULA

LEARNING DOING BECOMING

(Lectures – Study) (Laboratory of Life) (After all I have done)

LEARNING – (Principles – Doctrines – Attributes – Applications – Methods)

If I do not know a principle or characteristic it will become impossible to practice it in the laboratory of life or have the grace of God make it a sure part of my being. Therefore, I must listen and watch and see all that I can in order to gain a foundational understanding of a principle, doctrine, attribute, application or method.

Line upon line, indicates that principle one is necessary and needs to be completed before I will be ready to go forward to principle two. A sure way to stumble or fall is to attempt to jump to a higher plane before we have gained stability on our present level.

DOING – (In the laboratory of Life – Family – Church – Community – World)

All too well I have learned that those things I learn which do not become part of who I am, are soon lost or forgotten. Once I study the principle of love sufficiently to understand what it is in reference to a characteristic of Godliness, I must practice that type of love in an ever expanding circle. I have found it wise to start practicing with those who seem to be most accepting of my efforts before venturing into larger arenas.

I mentioned line upon line, but life has taught me that in reality we seldom are able to work at charity without working on faith, on faith without working on trust, on trust without working on patience. However, I have found it helpful to at least have a dominant principle which I am concentrating on practicing in the laboratory of life.

BECOMING – (It is by grace that we are saved – after all we have done)

Before going any further, you need to be warned that on this latter point of the formula I often find myself on shaky ground when I am trying to explain what I think is happening and on even shakier ground when it comes to knowing if it is really happening in my life.

After exhaustibly learning all I can about a principle, such as love. Then after I have spent time extensively practicing the principle in the Laboratory of Life, when the Lord sees fit, by His grace He changes my nature into being more Christ like. (This has to be the explanation for the mighty change which was wrought upon the Nephites at the time of Benjamins discourse from the tower)

When my nature is changed I will feel the joy of coming closer to God and my love for him dramatically increases.

In a very beautiful moment I am filled with God’s love for me.

My love of others increases and I am filled with the desire to know more doctrines and how to apply them.

GO BACK TO LEARNING STEP AND REPEAT UNTIL…….


Life is not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music, the eternal song is not over.

THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment