Sunday, December 4, 2011

OUR UNIVERSAL KINSHIP

Some years ago I enrolled in and completed a course of study on World Religions. Because of other pressures of life, family and career my efforts in the class were superficial and, therefore, the knowledge I gained was very rudimentary. In all honesty I was left relatively unchanged by the experience.

A few years later, I received the assignment to teach the basic concepts and histories of the Religions of the World to another generation. Being motivated by a strong desire to keep from being embarrassed each Tuesday and Thursday morning, I fell into a vigorous study program. Long hours were spent in reading as I tried to fill the void left by my meager efforts in my former course of study. I tried to anticipate questions which would easily stretch beyond my fundamental knowledge of Buddhism, Jainism, Shintoism and all those other exotic ‘isms’ from the ages and nations of the world.

Slowly, as the weeks of the course unfolded, a new growth started to bud within my mind and soul. As I was confronted with the teachings, mores and dogmas of the world’s numerous religions I was constantly impressed that I was reading ideas which did not contradict my own deep-seated testimony of God and His purposes for man. These concepts more often than not paralleled and in some cases gave deeper understanding to those ideals which I had held so dear during the major part of my life.

I found encased in the precepts and sayings of the Shinto concepts which I memorized and tried to inculcate in my life from the teachings Moses brought from the mount and consistent with the Holy Prophets of the Old Testament.

In the teachings of Taoism I found a genuine search for eternal truths which became an example to me in my personal quest.
From Confucianism I was frequently reminded of the simple day-to-day practices which bring majesty to my own personal religious practices and make it possible to experience the true joys of life’s relationships.

Opening and exploring the teachings of Judaism brought to reality the immense influence the teachings of Israel brought to the foundations of Christianity.

As the weeks of the course drew to a conclusion I was no longer unchanged by a study of the Religions of the World. I had come to understand to a much greater degree what is meant by the universal kinship of mankind and the singular parentage we all share.

As I repeated the teaching of this course several times during my life I came to believe that it would do us all well if we were to become more conversant with the fundamental understanding our ever approaching neighbors have of the underlying meanings and purposes of life.

Rather than having an immediate defensive reflex to one of the beliefs of our neighbor’s religion we might take a moment to reflect on such things as:

How can I come to understand what you believe, so that our kinship might be strengthened?

How can I use this moment to bring joy rather that sadness by overcoming a bit of my prejudice and bias?

How can I try to stop perpetuating those parts of our lives which divide us and instill relationships which bring us closer to oneness?

How can I spend this moment with my new neighbor exploring those areas of beliefs and yearnings we share in common?

How can I more firmly dedicate my life to bringing universal joy and peace into my many varied spheres?

I don’t know where your journey will lead you, but I testify that the reward of discovering the universal goodness which lies innately in the souls of our earth mates is worth the required effort.

17 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Thank you for putting it up so soon. Hugs to you and Kathy. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for yet another wonderful message. I truly appreciate all of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally had time to sit down at my email-you made my night J

    Love you,

    Wendy Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with this. I have found that the more I study other religions the more I love the people in them and the closer I come to God. It strengthens my faith and challenges me to be a better person. Thank you for posting this thought.

    Rob Hopkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous insights! Amen.

    Larry Proffit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, would you mind adding my wife Susan to you distribution list.

    Thanks for all the time you put into the writing. I enjoy each message. I hope you are enjoying this season in the manner it was meant to be experienced.

    Mike Byrne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your thought today. Right on!!

    Janice H. Bagley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Brother Riley:

    Again, your thoughts have given me a direction to love others even though they don't deserve it. My job at Macy's really teach me to accept others even they are different. They are my teacher Master. I really hope someday I will acquire this attribute, CHARITY that our SAVIOR has.

    Love,
    Daisy Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Brother Riley,

    Oh, how I miss our Tuesdays together. Thank you for another wonderful Sabbath Thought. I am grateful that we still have your teaching each Sunday for a few moments.

    I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. Give Kathleen a hug for me.

    Nancy Harline

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill & Kathy:Mil gracias por sus pensamientos y la importancia de conocer lo bueno que hay en estudiar y comprender sobre las diferentes religiones que existen en el mundo.Escudriñarlo todo y escoger lo bueno es un consejo del Profeta Jose Smith.Feliz Navidad y prospero año2012.
    Abrazos.
    Armando & Graciela Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  11. Presidente y Hna. Riley, muchas gracias por estos hermosos pensamientos de cada domingo.

    Deseo para ustedes y su hermosa familia un fin de año lleno de paz y amor y que el año nuevo llegue de esa manera y así permanezcan. Que las bendiciones del cielo sean sobre ustedes y todos los miembros de su familia!!!!

    Reciban un gran y sincero abrazoooo!!!

    Damary Ossa de Tobar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Presidente Riley, muchas gracias por sus pensamientos, siempre llegan en el momento justo!!
    Aun dentro de la iglesia debemos poner en práctica estas preguntas que usted hace al final, es cierto que el evangelio es uno, pero como seres humanos tenemos una forma de practicarlo al interior de nuestros hogares que no es igual y muchas veces convertimos esto en motivo de discordia y de critica.... deberíamos empeñarnos mas en buscar la afinidad que la discrepancia.
    De nuevo muchas gracias por todos y cada uno de sus mensajes que han hecho un rincón de reflexión en mi mente y corazón..

    Aixa ZoraidaCañasGómez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gracias, una reflexión inspiradora y aplicable.

    Un abrazo fraternal.

    Alexander Ospina Rubio

    ReplyDelete
  14. que gran mensaje pero el amor de Dios no esta en buescar el Dogman delas religiones sino en lo que tu puedes sentir por e sacrificio
    que hiso cristo al morir portipor que como hijos ehijas de Dios todos nos parecemos a el porque somos echo a su imajen ysemejansa
    y todos tenemos esa didad por naturaleza

    Edith Mosquera

    ReplyDelete
  15. excelente querido presidente muy excelente t gracias por compartirlo
    buena noche un abrazo

    Sandra Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracias presidente hermoso mensaje!!!!!!!!

    marlene martinez gomez

    ReplyDelete