Sunday, August 11, 2013

SEEING BEYOND THE WALLS AND HEDGES OF LIFE

The other day I was leaving the Temple after having spent an irregular and wonderful morning there. It was irregular because I had a four hour break between my two sealing assignments and it was wonderful because not only did I have the two sealing assignments, but I also was able to do the second one in Spanish.

Anyway, as I was leaving the Temple, I started to turn to my right to go down the pathway to the parking lot. I saw that the wonderful Latino family, consisting of Mother, Father and three beautiful children I had just sealed together for the eternities, were blocking the path as they were digitally recording their special day. I did a quick right turn and instead started down the entrance steps of the Temple and the sight of a perfect the little angel grabbed my attention. Maybe she had celebrated her third birthday, but I really doubt it. She was trying to be brave as she sobbed out how she couldn't go into the Temple because she didn't have a white dress and that she didn't know where her daddy and her sister and brothers were.

As we retreated back up the stairs I immediately became aware of her problem. The beautiful flowers and retaining wall treatments of the Temple grounds were hedges and walls from her diminutive view point. Even though I have never thought of myself as being very tall (with the possible exception of the time I was blessed to spend in Mexico and Colombia) my heightened vantage point gave me the ability of almost immediately spying her older sister and brother scurrying about the fountain and paths wandering through the beautifully landscaped garden.

They were obviously on an errand to look for their little lost sister, but since the older sister looked to be about 10 and her brother about 7 their rescue search was frequently interrupted by gathering snail shells and other treasures.
I quickly reunited the siblings and as I turned to head for my car I was greeted by the little angel’s father, carrying her little baby brother. The father’s anxious countenance was quickly replaced with a smile of gratitude.

I took one last glance and was warmed by the scene as I heard the father say, “I bet you were really scared,” while his daughter clung to his leg with all her might
.
As I drove home I was grateful for the warmth that continued to glow in my soul. During the succeeding days which have followed I have remembered the encounter with my little friend with fondness.

During the afterglow days, brightened by the experiences of that memorable Saturday morning, I have used the memory to stimulate pondering upon how often during my life I have been helped in my journeys by someone who had a heightened vantage point or by another who was willing to lift me just a bit, so that I could see what they were seeing.

The scriptures remind us of the importance of towers which allow us to see afar off. They often remind us of the importance of seeing those who would destroy us while they are still at a distance. I have often envisioned that those on the towers would also be able to indicate when it was safe to venture outside of our protective environs. For these reasons and the following I am grateful to have had in my life, viewers from towers.

Adam, who by keeping a book of remembrance of the teachings he received from his Father, helped us to see beyond the blinding selfishness of our self-planted hedges and realize that we are indeed our brother’s keepers.

Moses, who from the heights of Mount Sinai was given the vision to lead neophyte Israel to the promised land and give the fundamental laws and procedures necessary for the continuance of societies.

Abraham, who was able to see beyond the valleys of the land of promise and gave us the vision that it is not sufficient to save our own, but we must go into the wilderness and be willing to bless all nations.

Isaiah, who from his high tower not only gave vision to those of his generation, but also to those who would live in the meridian of time and to we who live in the last days; vision which would help us see the grander picture of the purposes of life and the importance the Lord would play as he became the thread which ties all generations together.

Those who struggled to see through the darkness of the ages such as Mohammed, Justin Maître, Martin Luther, C. S. Lewis and numerous others who kept the spark of gospel hope alive, when seeing afar off was impossible for most and whose light can still guide and strengthen us all on our cloudiest days.

Joseph Smith Jr., who was inspired to build a tower for those who would live in the last dispensation, that they might see above the walls and hedges which the philosophies of men and secularism would continually raise up to wall us in.

Added to this list of the noble ones standing upon the towers are the great ones who fill each of our daily lives;
parents, teachers, family, friends and angels who come to us unaware. Sometimes they shine just enough light for us to be able to venture safely forth for just one more step. Sometimes they lift us just enough, so we can see the dangers beyond the wall or shine a light on the path which leads in the right direction. Whatever magnitude their seeing or lifting might take, with their added wisdom, our ways are made warmer and brighter because of the advantages of their heightened vision.

For all of these I am grateful and will continue to be grateful as they guide me toward that day when I can walk one final time into the Eternal House of the Lord dressed in spotless white.

18 comments:

  1. Que hermoso mensaje hermno william riley, me inspira bastante, graxias. Que Nuestro Padre Celestial lo bendiga siempre.

    Cuidece feliz tarde.

    Ana Erika P Escobar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silvii Jd TO You + 1 More
    Show Details

    grsssssss Silvii Jd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Brother Riley, Thanks for the message of towering giants. And especially thank you for time and time again providing insight, wisdom, gems to ponder, and charitable kindness. It's easy to picture you with the precious family you describe as you so naturally bring them together in a union of love

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. hermano usted tiene mucho talento para escribir y llegar al corazòn de los que le leen,

    gracias

    Maria Victoria Ospina Grisales

    ReplyDelete
  5. And don't forget...Brother Riley sitting on his bar stool, or whatever it was, teaching institute. We're all grateful for that.

    Joyce Woolf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Brother Riley

    I just want to take a moment to let you know that I read your message every week and I am very grateful for you and your inspired words. I have had a difficult 4 years but I am trying to press on and with faithful members who have encouraged me, accepted me and loved me for who I am I will be eternally grateful. I hope you have a wonderful day and thank you again for your messages.

    Candy -Candyce Coldren-Card

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your "Thoughts". A lovely way to start the Sabbath. Hope your day is wonderful

    Charlene Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gracias por estas palabras y sus maravillosos mensajes

    Rosa Avila

    ReplyDelete
  9. Como siempre muy apropiado para hoy.

    thak u

    Carlos A. Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya lo leí Pte, está hermoso y muchas gracias

    Diana Granada

    ReplyDelete
  11. And thank you Brother Riley for being there as one of my Institute teachers to lift me up to see beyond my limited views in my life.

    Barbara Phelps

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bill, Another one of your masterpieces. Thank you for it.

    Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI there Bro Riley and Kathleen,

    Its always good to hear from you. I just finished reading your message about the little angel. Loved it.

    We are well and are enjoying 11 grands.

    Thanks again for you messages

    Jaycie Hennings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bill,



    All your thoughts are special. I was deeply touched by this one.

    Your Cousin

    Ed Curtise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Y tú... querido William, has sido y sos para mi, uno de esos atalayas erigido sobre una de las torres de la vida, que me ayudan a ver desde una dimensión mayor. Junto a otros tambien... y por esta bendición estoy tan agradecido y me siento un afortunado...

    Todo mi amor...

    Julio Medina

    ReplyDelete






  16. ..Muy bueno...me alegra que pueda tener esas experiencias de vida.

    feliz tarde

    clarita torres gonzales

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome. That one was a great thought. Thanks brother Riley.

    Rob Hacker

    ReplyDelete