Sunday, December 20, 2009

HAVING HOLY DAY’S THE WHOLE YEAR THROUGH

The Riley's wish to send their wishes that the blessings of our Heavenly Father will come abundantly to each of you during this wonderful season and throughout the new year.

During this very special Holy Season, we wish to bear witness to this truth: it is Christmas which brings the Spirit of Christ to mankind; likewise it is Christ who can magnify the spirit of Christmas in our lives not only during this special time of year but all the year through.

Without Christ, the exchanging of gifts turns our thoughts from charitable love to concerns of indebtedness.

Without Christ, the bright lights and colorful decorations turn from being guiding beacons and uplifting revivers to glaring and gaudy glitter.

Without Christ, gatherings of family and friends turn from memory building reunions to better forgotten ruinous riotous rallies.

Without Christ, Christmas turns from a day of celestial contemplation to a day of trivial telestial thoughts.

Just as Christ turns our every participation during this special season into something positive, we believe it can  be so the whole year through if we allow His love to penetrate our hearts each day as it does during this Holy Season.

Therefore, we take this moment to wish you all a joyous and wondrous Christmas; but more than this we wish for you the eternal joy which can be yours through having come unto the Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your message of love and concern.
    We are tremendously blessed to know what's important as it battles the glitter of the trivial. May your Christmas week be one of peace and love that extends throughout the New Year.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brother and sister William & Kathleen Riley:Thanks a lot for thoughts for a Sabbath Day,we are reding it with Chela,also all the photos remembering your mission in Bogotá Colombia.

    With love,

    Armando & Graciela Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por los pensamientos, pero mas bien por haber substituido por mi ayer. Te debo. Te deseo una Feliz Navidad y Un Prospero Ano Nuevo para ti y tu esposa. Que el Senor les bendiga!

    Harold Gubernick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you I am going to use this in my talk today. Merry Christmas to you and Kathy.

    Debbie Wanlass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,
    Thanks for this note. I warmly receive your wishes for the blessings of God now and throughout the year. I forever wish to be in more of, and able to give more of Christ's love.
    Now may I spoil this by betraying my eternal negativism? Or is it optimism about non-Christians?
    I do not see those who have not embraced Jesus Christ as their Lord, e.g., my many Jewish friends, as follows : their exchange of gifts being only concerns about their debt and not acts of love; as their decorations being only glaring and gaudy glitters; as their reunions being ruinous rallies rather than warm family reunions. This appears to be a way that an "in group only" religion devalues the sincerity and life experience of all outsiders. Certainly some are like that, but I would hesitate to stereotype them so broadly. I am probably misreading you, but find myself surprised to find you falling into this pattern of discourse.
    Thoughts on a Sunday.

    Your admirer,

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I just bet that was written during your mission. Just the perfect "thought" for someone far far away from home and family. Thanks again for all you do and all you teach and all you exemplify. Feliz Natal to you and your family.

    SW/Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill,
    I "judge" it to be a "fact" that you are among the least judgmental people I know. Paulette concurs, and is an even more unwavering supporter. I wrote the note because I believe that it is too easy for someone who spends their life in an environment where unfavorable perceptions of others are common to reflexively fall into an unwelcome behavior pattern at the least expected moments. The tempter can be guileful.
    As for myself, I cannot pretend to be even close to your level of achievement on this. This is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but rather the pot calling the shiny well attended stainless steel pot black.
    I do not pretend, yet I provoke.
    Your admirer,
    Paul Maddox

    Bill Riley wrote:
    > Paul
    >
    > I mainly write to remind myself of where I should be and what I should be striving to become. Since they are just thoughts everyone is free to evaluate and interpret them however they wish. I am grateful that you would be surprised to find me exclusive rather than inclusive. I have spent to many years trying to eliminate the 'ites' from my thoughts and actions to be found wanting by this small essay. If there was to be any effect on others, my hope was that there might be some who could be influenced to extend their good will throughout the year and to more people. I really do try to keep myself from judging the motivations and actions of others. I'm sorry my words stimulated these feeling in you. I know of your extended goodness to all and I don't want to add any negativism to what you are and what you continue to strive to become.
    >
    > Sincerely
    >
    > Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brother Riley,



    Thank you so much for the beautiful thoughts and messages you email me every Sunday. It’s wonderful and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

    May you have a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.

    Mariam Crunkleton

    ReplyDelete