Sunday, February 21, 2010

THE THUMBS OF LIFE

As if we Homo sapiens didn't already have enough pride puffing principles to worry about, we go about boasting to one another that of all of Heavenly Father's creations we along with a few other very fortunate creatures have an opposing digit which we call a thumb. Sometimes we feign humility by saying such things as 'I am all thumbs' or 'that isn't for sucking,' but in the main we acclaim this dangling digit as a proof of great superiority over other less fortunate creatures. With all the pompous praise we go about heaping on our thumbs it is a wonder that it doesn't on occasion refuse to cooperate and just go on strike as a reminder to us of how important it really is. Yet in all my years I have yet to have my thumb tell the other four fingers that it has no need for them. I guess if I had to hitch a ride, the uplifted thumb might seem to be standing alone in this effort. By and large, however, the thumb is found to be in a very cooperative existence with the other extensions of the hand. Sometimes it needs only one finger, for example, to help when we desire to pick up a small piece of lint or a piece of paper. On other occasions it employees the aid of all its mates, such as in gripping or grabbing. I don't think it is very long after birth that the thumb makes the marvelous discovery that it is not a digit in opposition, but instead is found in most cases to be complimentary to the pointy, middle, ring and pinkie fingers. Whenever I think my own thumbs are beginning to be lifted up in pride, I just show them a page I have written and they quickly recognize that their contribution to whatever has been written is nothing but blank spaces.

So that I don't confirm what many of you have already suspected, that I often slip into meaningless palaver that has little or no point at all, I want to declare at this time that the reason I have written about the wonderful thumb which we sometimes take for granted is that in many ways we, like the thumb, could become proudly puffed up in a singular principle or action as if it had no need for ideas or thoughts or actions of others which seem opposing, but in reality may be complimentary and expanding, capable of magnifying our own meager contributions.

Let me try to give you a few examples which might help to clarify the point I am trying to make:

It would be as if, since we have the wonderful teachings found in the Book of Mormon, we would then to our detriment become so built up in our reverence for this book, that we might treat the Bible or the Doctrine and Covenants or the Pearl of Great Price or the Teachings of the Living Prophets or guidance of enlightened men and women, as if we have little need for them. Long ago Ezekiel declared that the word of God, regardless of the package it was found in, was to become one in our hands and in a very beautiful synergistic way bring brighter light to guide our steps than could be given from any singular contributing source. I can never receive too many inspired words from Heaven sent.

Because we find some specific taboos and recommendations about our dietary habits written in Section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants we could then be excused if we were to ignore all the understanding of nutrition and health which has been made available over the last 1 ¾ centuries. How many would have been denied meaningful years of progress if we had declared to Louis Pasteur or Clara Barton or Washington Irving or the countless others who have dedicated themselves to the understanding of what is needed to live a greatly extended, productive and healthy life that we have no need of thee because we have a Word of Wisdom. I need all the help I can find to be the most I can be.

Because we become so enamored with giving wonderful service to our brothers and sisters we can thereby be excused if we hold in lesser value the principles of faith and hope. We must always remember that our faith will be greater because we involve ourselves in charitable actions and that our charitable actions will become a more frequent part of our lives as our faith increases. We must never forget the interdependence and introprogressive dependence which all principles have to one another. They are indeed one great whole.

Because we have been privileged to live in lands which might provide some freedoms to learn and advance, that others who live in less fortunate circumstances, therefore, must have been of much lesser valiancy in their former estate. We have little, or perhaps in reality, no idea the why of our time and place of birth into mortality; but we do know that our Father in Heaven has placed us all on this earth with a stewardship to value, respect, love and care for one another and by all means to never demean nor diminish the eternal value of any of our brothers and sisters. We all belong to a universal family and have need of the best from one another.

Therefore, on those days when we might be feeling a bit 'thumby' or just a little too full of ourselves and our uniqueness, it might be well to take a deep breath and remind ourselves of our constant dependence on others, their contributions and their ideas. I have an idea that my own life will be much more if I am willing to acknowledge the wonderfulness of the all the 'extensions' which Heavenly Father has surrounded me with to make my passage full and beautiful and joyful.

Thank you all for all the meaningfulness you have brought to my life.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great thought for me to think about on this Sabbath day! Thanks for putting this blog together - it will be fun so see what I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. It reminds me of a class I had taught in seminary as a teenager on 1 cor 12 and d/c 84:109 " For the body is not one member but many" that hit me so hard it has always stuck with me as I dattempt to discover my place in this world, church family, etc. I have to tell you also how often your thoughts on the eternal purposes of marriage and the different but important roles of husband and wife have helped me guide my own marriage. thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia Recendez commented on your wall post:

    "Hello there! I hope you both are doing great, things are wonderful my way. I would love any of your thoughts infact I am one of your fans that could sit hours and hours to hear them. Just want you to know how much I appreciate you....hi to your wife. Hunter's son, Soren is 16 mos. old now and I'm enjoying this grandmother thing....infact he's taking a nap in the next room now. Thanks for the thought paper I will look forward to it. I am back in Institute our bldg. on Thurs. 9:30AM by Brother Tate....I love it, but of course miss you.
    Much love,
    Marcia Recendez

    ReplyDelete
  4. President Riley: Over the years I have become increasingly interested in the use of analogies and analogical reasoning. Consequently, I’m not sure that “I am all thumbs” is faining humility. Isn’t the point of the saying that without the other fingers assisting the thumbs, the referenced task will be poorly conducted and the speaker is metaphorically, saying that he/she does not have access to the other fingers. For example, “I am all thumbs when it comes to playing the piano.” I can tell you that a guitar player would face some problems if his playing or picking hand were all thumbs. And the saying “that isn’t for sucking” is, at least for a new born, not true. Thumb sucking is normal in babies and young children. In fact infants may also suck on their fingers and hand. In other words, infants are equal opportunity suckers.



    It is also the case that one of the few areas where humans outshine other animals is in throwing. And one of the reasons that we are (in general) such good throwers is because of our opposable thumbs. This same superiority applies to tools in general (and not just spears) and for the same reason: opposable thumbs. Consider how much harder it would have been for Eve to have plucked the “apple” from the tree without an opposable thumb. And when you turn the pages to scriptures (I mean “real” scriptures and not digital imitations) isn’t the thumb involved?



    So, with regard to the thumb, I say “thumbs up.”

    Blain Andrus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brother Riley, Muchas gracias for the very important message. I spent the past four days among indigenous people in/around Coban, Guatemala. I found it fascinating then to read your gentle admonition about so many of us thinking we might have been more valiant because we believe we are more blessed to live in Estados Unitos. Indeed, I believe most people who feel this slant of "false superiority" have never seen the beautiful smiles of humble mountain people. These mountain people, dressed in their vibrant ropa and walking miles on end in the mountains to harvest their crops, would be wondering what in the world they did "wrong" in their past lives if they were transplanted to good ol' southern California. I am not saying that I want to trade places with them; but I am confident they would not wish to trade places with me either.
    Bottom line: Vida es esta bien! We are all Heavenly Father's children. I fly back home this Friday afternoon. These six weeks have flown by, but it'll be good to see you and learn from your wisdom next week. Cuidate!
    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thumbs will never be the same.....thankfully!

    Garnett Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice piece on thumbs;did you ever know or hear avout thumby Clark?

    Paul Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great start to my morning-very apropo for a number of reasons, plus you made me grin! I see you are about mid way through your day; as usual! I don't even have brain cells at that time of the morning...
    Wendy K. Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to look inside your head for just one day!
    Kathryn Eisenbise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning or afternoon Pres. and Sis Riley'
    It's sure is refreshing to hear your "thoughts" it reminds me of being in your religion classes at night. Bless your hearts you're in Gods second best area California.
    Take care and Aloha.
    James Kanekoa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What, we can give feedback and additions?! Here I thought it was just a one way dialogue. I guess I will have to pay more attention when I read in the future. I understand how hard it must be to have thoughts each week. Actually I have enjoyed reading your papers and find that we have very similar thoughts on many issues. I hope you all are doing well.
    Mike Wootton

    ReplyDelete