Sunday, July 11, 2010

SQUISHY GROUND

Last week I wrote about the propensity I have had to being impressed by varying influences throughout my life. I mentioned the impact President James Hobbs had on me as a mentor during my teen years and how his teachings many times moved into the ‘spiritual guide’ category occupied by those who I have freely chosen to lead and guide my thoughts and actions.

I still remember the time he spoke to the youth group of our Stake in Orange County. I don’t believe he would have titled his talk in the words I have chosen, but in the files of my memory it is always recalled with the attending words of ‘squishy ground.’

There was a particle of land that bordered his father’s property with that of the neighboring farm. Because this part of the farms lay in marshy lowland, the water table was very high. When the rains came during the wet season the turf actually floated on the water rather than resting on the soil.

President Hobbs reported that the discovery of this jiggling phenomenon was accidental and innocent, but all subsequent adventuring was purposeful and deliberate. Even though concerned parents threatened the loss of life and limb for their sons if they continued to explore the marsh during its squishy state, the last drops of rain would have scarcely have found themselves earthward before the boys were once again frolicking on the floating turf. With all good intentions they would vow to one another to keep their play in tow so as not to break through the sod and soil their clothing. Inevitably the excitement of the moment would overcome their good intentions and they would once again have to return to face the wrath of their mothers as they added to the pile of laundry which was already a burdensome, muscle aching duty without being augmented by dripping and muddy clothing which were meant to be worn for several days.

After giving a very animated and humorous accounting of this adventurous story from his youth, President Hobbs then turned very serious as he admonished each of the attentive youth to carefully assess what short and long term circumstances would come as a result of their decisions. He cautioned that we should be leery of activities, even though they might be fun or full of wonder and excitement, which might hold hidden potential harm for ourselves or which might add to the burdens and bring grief to others.

Many times during my life the vision of that marshy lowland meadow, with boys bouncing in the bog and the inevitable unintended results has come vividly to mind. It has been as if I had an internal red flag waving as I was about to venture into an activity where I hadn’t weighed the long term effects of what I was about to do on my own future and possibly on the future of loved ones.

There have been many times when I have stumbled into activities which thrilled the flesh and then acted as a magnet drawing me back to that stimulating activity where I had muddied my clothing. When I have heeded Heaven sent warning signs, looking back I can see where I have been able to avoid some disastrous pitfalls. There have been other times, in spite having a foreknowledge of the danger which awaited a wrongful decision, I have gone ahead and muddied my clothes as I lustfully returned to frolic on the ‘squishy ground.’ Sometimes, even after making a resolute decision to keep my clothing clean, I have fallen victim to a game of dare from those whom I wished to please and then going contrary to my previous resolution I fell victim to the thrill of dancing on the jiggling ground.

Some types of ‘squishy ground’ bring danger to our temporal lives where with some effort repair and cleaning can take place. Other types of ‘squishy ground’ ply upon our spiritual growth and can only be cleaned by changing the type of clothing we wear. I would hope that somehow we would heed the waving flags and blaring horns which scream at us to avoid those types of ‘squishy ground’ where our entering thereon may have eternal consequences and can only be rectified by our robes being cleansed by Heavenly intervention.

It might be well to frequently ask ourselves, “How long can I ignore the admonitions of a loving Heavenly Father and expect to remain unsoiled and keep from bringing deep sorrow to those I love?” It might be well if we were to use a two-pronged standard before we move our thoughts into actions, assessing both the problems we might be about to inflict upon ourselves, and likewise what discomfort and sorrow I might be about to bring into the lives of others.

I am certain if we were to more carefully consider the end results of entering upon ‘squishy ground’ we would live lives freer of regret and remorse and abounding more abundantly with happiness and joy.

8 comments:

  1. As always, thank you. I love the "Thoughts" Great way to start my week. Carolyn Huish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immediate vs. delayed gratification? Think before you act? Squishy ground? You as did President Hobbs do well to sound a warning to all of us. We can but be grateful.
    One wise Jewish teacher once told me when I was a young man, "all things in moderation, including moderation." When then must we be immoderate? When called by the Master!
    Another far wiser Jewish teacher taught me that there was a time to leave my father and mother behind me, to let the dead bury the dead, i.e., to turn my back on those responsibilities, and yes, those admonitions that I had considered sacrosanct to free myself for something else, something more important one must presume. This seeming infidelity is the way of faith, for when The New Master calls, one may serve Him only, or not be His. The call of a new master is a sort of violation of allegiance with the past, no matter what the past. So squishy ground, if that's the way we hear the shepherds call, we come running.
    In brief, there may be, there WILL be, a time to forsake the admonitions of the past, however wise, to follow a path wise only by a seeming blind trust in a voice and vision revealed only within, externally unseen and unheard.
    One oh too common problem is that this acceptance of the Master's call can be construed as a bond with one's past rather than a call to break from it to follow the Lord's calling. The follower of the Master thus attempts to continue faithful to his past masters while following The Master. The powerful forces of one's past give assurance that this allegiance to The Master and to the master which is obedience to the admonitions to avoid the squishy ground are working. They assure that they are indeed one and the same. Are they? I believe, and believe I see fruit (evidence) to show that a double minded servant is an unstable disciple, no matter the impressions he makes on his close group or on the world. The fruit displays the facts, and is displayed in acts of "group love" which are not truly Love of the Master. Example: When someone is able to rationalizes one's support of inhumanity to man, or of denigration of God's children whose spirits have chosen homes in a different culture, while at the same time advocating their Love of the God who loves all the world, something is surely amiss. As they say, if you've seen it once, you've seen it a hundred times.
    So it seems that one set of obstacles imposed by the natural man on man's spiritual fidelity to God are the very institutions that man has erected to support that fidelity. Man cannot serve but one Master if that Master is God. Man's worst enemy is man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are together on this, not apart, except that your thoughts as always are expressed well.
    Paul Maddux
    P.S. Analogies and metaphors are made of soft clay, meant to be reworked, fired and hardened in the kiln of literature only by the masters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brother Riley…excellent thought, well-written, as always. I thoroughly enjoy your thoughts and appreciate being on your list. Have a good day!

    Sherri Bewsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro. Bill,

    It’s been such an uplifting treat to receive your “Thoughts for a Sunday.” Sometimes I’ve wanted to reply with my thoughts and impression on your thoughts and impressions but I’ve either let the moment of inspiration pass by or just plain “chickened out.” I’m way to tired at this moment to really make sense of anything inspirational or spiritual I might share but just know it has meant a great deal to me to read your thoughts. Please keep them coming. By the way I didn’t receive anything the last two or three weeks. I was afraid you’d cut me off of your list of readers. DON’T! I need them.

    Remind me again of the adult class you’ll be teaching in the fall. I read it somewhere but now my old memory doesn’t recall what I read. Isn’t getting old great? I have so much more wisdom but (can’t speak for anyone else) can’t remember what it is…

    If you’re still up, sleep tight.
    Warmly,
    Christy Asay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your thoughts and am touched at your respect for and recollections of a faithful servant of our Heavenly Father. Oh that we might all have that sacred opportunity to make a difference in someone's life! I have used your Institute teachings when I teach and have quietly thanked you!
    xoxo Barbara Townsand

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother Riley, thank you for the thought. I wasn't able to make it to Sister Woodwards funeral, but my Dad went and said it was real nice. Hope all is well with you and your wife. Thanks again for the thought.
    Ron Ross

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bill,
    I whole heartedly agree, and I think that learning to avoid the "squishy ground" is a process that depends on and influences our spiritual growth.
    Phillip Knarr

    ReplyDelete