Sunday, June 5, 2011

REST OF THE LORD (continuation)

Moroni 7:3 Wherefore, I would speak unto you that are of the church, that are the PEACEABLE followers of Christ, and that have obtained a sufficient HOPE by which ye can enter into the rest (peace - hope) of the Lord, from this time henceforth until ye shall rest (dwell) with him in heaven.

Alma 13:29 Having FAITH on the Lord; having a HOPE that ye shall receive eternal life; having the LOVE of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest (faith - hope - love).

2 Chronicles 15:15 And all Judah rejoiced at the OATH: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole DESIRE; and he was found of them: and the Lord gave them rest (acceptance of oaths and desires) round about.

Psalms 37:7 Rest (trust) in the Lord, and WAIT PATIENTLY for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

JST, Genesis 15:12 And it came to pass, that Abram looked forth and saw the days of the Son of Man, and was glad, and his soul found rest (faith – hope – trust – belief - justification), and he BELIEVED in the Lord; and the Lord counted it unto him for righteousness.

Alma 12:37 And now, my brethren, seeing we know these things, and they are true, let us repent, and harden not our hearts, that we provoke not the Lord our God to pull down his wrath upon us in these his second commandments which he has given unto us; but let us enter into the rest (reward – promised blessings) of God, which is PREPARED ACCORDING TO HIS WORD.

Alma 16:17 That they might not be hardened against the word, that they might NOT BE UNBELIEVING, and go on to destruction, but that they might receive the word with JOY, and as a branch be grafted into the TRUE VINE, that they might enter into the rest (life of joy - assuredness) of the Lord their God.

Recognizing my weaknesses and the absolute possibility that others will find better words to substitute in the sited scriptures, I still felt this to be a good exercise to come to a better understanding as to what the Lord intended when he sanctified the Sabbath day and hallowed it as a day of REST.

I know my Sabbaths would have far greater meaning and I would grow closer to the Creator who set the day apart if this day included mental and physical activities such as:

Conscientiously seeking His comfort

Letting Him free me from sorrow, fear and bondage

Recognizing the victories, protection and blessings He has given

Receiving the comforting soundness which accompanies His help in overcoming my weaknesses

Inching forward in my attempts to become worthy of the merciful salvation He has offered

Striving for an increase of faith, understanding and knowledge of His words and ways

Seeking to move ever closer to dwelling where He dwells

Allowing his tender mercies to replace my troubles with rejoicing

Allowing His healing forgiveness to help me forsake my repentant sins

Letting Him sustain me in efforts to gain more freedom from temptation

Contemplating how to be found more worthy of the promises and blessings He showers me with

Allowing His peace and hope to sustain me

Asking His aid in gaining an increase of faith, hope and love

Receiving His counsel on how to be more faithful in the fulfillment of righteous desires and covenants

Trusting more fully in the eternal correctness of His ways

Letting His justifying Spirit distil upon my soul

Being assured and guided more clearly on the directions along life’s path which leads to joy

What a surprise, to discover that the alternative definitions given by Webster’s exhaustive came much closer to what the Lord intended when He made His declarations about His day than the primary definition which is so readily accepted by what might be called a slothful generation.

Even the densest of us should eventually come to understand that when the Lord announced the Sabbath His intention was that the children of men were to concentrate on the sanctifying and hallowing and come to understand that, therein we would be making it a day of REST. How wonderful and comforting to know that all the goings and comings, meetings and greetings, listenings and speakings are totally in conformance with His will on His day.

Even so, it may be worth considering that from this day forward we seek to find more time on His Set Apart Day being actively engaged doing those works which will narrow the gulf between ourselves and our Redeemer and Savior.

5 comments:

  1. Hola presidente, ya tengo los pensamientos del día de hoy. Muchas gracias por responder a mi correo. Feliz día de Reposo. Con cariño,

    PATRICIA MONTOYA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Bill and Kathy,

    What a welcome way to start the Day of Rest, with your profound, thoughtful and always helpful insights.

    My thoughts took a little different course as I reflected on your chosen scriptures and meanings of rest. As with all of my thoughts, they are random and we will just leave it at that. Anyway, here they are.

    Rest of the Lord.
    Ye have chosen the better part and now ye shall eternally have the rest

    Sometimes after the funeral, those in the will, fight over the rest of whatever there is left and in so doing end up losing the rest that was there for them all to enjoy

    In a bitter divorce, the once loving couple divides what the state tells them they have to by law and then they fight over the rest,until there is none.

    In this crazy world that Satan has developed of "me" and "I", we scratch and claw for our little piece of the pie and then somehow buy into the deception that our purpose here on this earth is to go out and get the "rest" of the pie at all costs in order to be happy. In so doing we are eternally disappointed and find no "rest" at all.

    Elder Holland taught this divine principle and the only way and truth and light to follow in obtaining that otherwise elusive "rest of" all that the Father hath and the "eternal hope and rest" that our Heavenly Father has conditionally promised to all of His children.

    "Brothers and sisters, I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks; He doesn’t measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other. I know that if we will be faithful, there is a perfectly tailored robe of righteousness ready and waiting for everyone, robes … made … white in the blood of the Lamb. May we encourage each other in our effort to win that prize is my earnest prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."


    Thanks for helping me start my day off well. I am now going to go and make the most of the rest of His Day.

    Dave Foote

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!!!!!!!! Thank Bill...very enlighting and right on....Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. It's so nice to still have a little piece of you in my life!

    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brother Riley,

    I am so glad you send me these thoughts. I am so busy being a wife, mom, preschool teacher, and 6 year old primary teacher that I often don't find time for spiritually uplifting things. I miss taking your institute classes. I learned so much there. I remember feeling the spirit and having my testimony grow. Thank you for continuing to help me in life by teaching me the gospel.

    Much Love,
    Julie Beutler

    ReplyDelete