Sunday, March 4, 2012

FRUIT OF OUR LABORS (part 2)

One year as I was walking behind my rear-tined tiller while wondering about one of those annual on-again-off-again springs in Northern Nevada – and keeping an eye peeled on Mt. Peavine – I came to realize that gardening in Washoe County shares many characteristics with the principle of forgiveness. To start with, just like gardening in the Reno area, if conditions are not carefully adhered to, forgiveness can also turn out to be a futile exercise and very little will ever be gleaned from our efforts.

Just a few random thoughts on harvesting a fruitful result from practicing the principle of forgiveness:

We must always keep our attention attuned to the words, counsel and example of our Lord and Redeemer – with our eye single to the mountain of

His message, forever learning how to gauge the subtleties of his teachings.

If ones concentration is turned inward and they are sensitive to personal needs alone they will seldom make the essential first step needed to bring about the knitting of souls which happens as they receive the blessings which come from true forgiveness.

If appeasing is ones only effort, ever sensitive to the needs of others they may find themselves constantly emptying their reservoir of strength and never taking time to replace needed elements until, sadly, one day they find themselves void and unable to forgive again.

If one finds their life has become a continual exercise of avoidance and excusing they may soon find themselves hiding from the sometimes difficult journey of life, doing fewer and fewer of the activities they once enjoyed.

Like gardening, the successful practitioner of the principle of forgiveness may find that while they were exerting a great deal of time and effort in gaining an understanding of the art of forgiving, there were many residual benefits which resulted from their efforts.

Like so many gospel principles, forgiveness demands diligent awareness which if adhered to can result in many residual benefits, bearing unexpected fruit which is sweet and desirable.

If we are to find fruition from our efforts to forgive we must never weary– never mistaking the act of forgiving for the purpose of the exercise. We were not placed here to forgive a single trespass, but to gain a forgiving nature.

Forgiveness is never complete until hearts have been mended and souls have been knotted together again.

Forgetting must never be mistaken for forgiving – although real forgiveness will always demand a great deal of forgetting.

Many times neglecting the process of forgiveness causes self-soul-suffering – while I fester upon a trespass I may needlessly and endlessly suffer while he who made the offense has long ago gone merrily on his way.

As in all principles of enlightenment that person who sincerely puts forth the greatest effort will reap the greatest yield.

President Spencer W. Kimball stated: “Across the barren deserts of hate and greed and grudge in the beautiful valley of paradise, we read in the papers and hear on television constantly that the world ‘is in an awful mess.’ Not true! The world is still most beautiful. It is man who is off center.

The sun still illumines the day and gives light and life to all things. The moon still brightens the night. Oceans still feed the world and provide transportation. Rivers still drain the land and provide irrigation water to nourish crops. Even the ravages of time have not sloughed off the majesty of the mountains. Flowers still bloom and birds still sing and children still laugh and play. What is wrong with the world is man-made.”

“It can be done. Man can conquer self. Man can overcome. Man can forgive all who have trespassed against him and go on to receive peace in this life and Eternal Life in the world to come.”

With all the readings and preachings about forgiveness, eventually someone must dig the dirt and plant the seed – as I search the scriptures over and over again I find that that burden of that most difficult first step is placed on me.

If the labor of forgiveness is to bear fruit it is I who must begin to prepare the ground for an eventual fruitful yield.

10 comments:

  1. Too frequently not to be scary, when a prophet speaks with wisdom about the world in which he lives, he also speaks "prophetically" about that that world. Whether intentionally is of little consequence, for his wisdom is of little merit, we listen to hear, to get a glimpse, some small insight into the wisdom He may have to offer us.
    We sometimes mock those few animals which eat to surfeit. Yet it is man which acts upon his world, upon nature and upon one another without restraint. We lose sight of checks and balances in our rapaciousness as we seek not only to overcome the constraints of nature, but to overcome each other.

    Kimball got it wrong; the world is in an awful mess! But he got it wrong by intent to illustrate that that wrong was a wrong by the hand of man and man alone; and at that, against God's will.
    But there is hope he says. To me however, a hope proven to be somewhat hopeless by man's long history of referring to the One who originally gave the following advice (command to some). Of those some, a great many called Him (still call Him) Lord:

    But their behavior belies that they perceive that He is simply a simple idealist whose ideals are for another world.

    Not happening. Never happened. Not ever likely. Thus spoke Zarathustra!
    Or so the behavior of those, saved by His blood, seems to speak to us today!

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing reading and very clarifying. I missed part 1

    Barbara Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Brother Riley, Thanks for the fantastic thoughts. Your comment that we are not to forgive a single trespass but rather gain a forgiving nature especially gained my attention. I couldn't help but see Christ epitomizing this truth. Thanks for bringing me closer to Him.
    Que tengas una buena semana.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Brother Riley:

    Again, this message is for me. Thank you for understanding my need to work on forgiveness. Even though I chose not to allow any man to belittle my soul by hating them. I realize that I have to be diligent to work on it daily, even every minute and second.

    Thank you for your mentoring. I am attending the Single Ward to get my feet wet. I don't know what the future holds for me, but I know I have to live for myself as a Single lady again. I know it is scarey, yet at the same time it is my 2nd chance to live my life to the fullness. Do I really know what it really means, but if I don't try I won't know.

    Love always,
    Daisy Tah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I sure miss being able to serve with you in the Temple.. Mark

    Mark Hobbins

    ReplyDelete
  6. hola presidente km estan pues saludos desde colombia los amo mucho que Dios le colme de bendiciones con amor su hija y

    hna adriana silva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias mil gracias siempre por tus buenos mensajes!!!! un abrazo grandicimo!!!!

    Melvin Lans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim wrote: "¡Gracias Hermano Riley! --Thank you for your wisdom each week I enjoy your spiritual thoughts! "

    Armando Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias por sus pensamientos y por compartirlos.

    Osiris Navarro

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Bro Riley,

    I will miss those thoughts, but hope you will continue to keep sending these my way after those dates.

    I think of you and Kathy often. Especially this past December when Clair Earl Passed away. All 11 of his children where there for this service as well as his 52 grandchildren. I saw and spoke with Mildred and Ryan two weeks ago at the special meeting held at the Golonda building to announce that we are Now the Nevada Mission. How exciting for all of us. Did you know John and Marsha Hall who were from my ward. Their oldest son died just a few months ago. Our Jim had now been gone 2 years 4 months. I miss him more than words can express. ! ! !

    Sending hugs and lots of love your way,

    Ann Bradshaw

    ReplyDelete