Sunday, June 24, 2012

HIS WORK AND HIS GLORY

One of the interesting byproducts of having spent my life in the educational arena is that I gained a personal prejudice against the well accepted process of grading by comparing one person’s progress against that of another.

When I was involved in the degree seeking part of my life there were those who tried to indoctrinate me into the cult of grading on the curve; a system which took statistical comparisons and made them absolutes in grading small and large groups of people. Instructors would thereby be bound to give no more than 7% of their students the highest grade and then were mandated to give another 7 % the lowest possible grade.

There was a minor representation of educators who believed the instructor should set up levels of knowledge which should be achieved in order to be rewarded with a corresponding grade. I personally found this to be a much more equitable way of grading the accomplishments of students. Those who answered more than 90% of the questions received the highest grade and then lesser grades were assigned as the percentage of correct answers diminished.

There was an even smaller group who advocated contract grading where each student outlined their expectations for the class and then at the end of the session they gave themselves a grade based on how well they completed their expectations. I think that the reason so few in the profession accepted this type of grading was that it required more maturity than most students had acquired.

Even a casual investigation of the educational systems of various societies quickly reveals that attempts to make everyone ‘all that they can be’ have rarely if ever met the needs of all who have been the students in those systems, resulting in the majority of the earth’s population being content to end their formal and informal learning process well below their capabilities.

Some of the contributors to the collective failures of those systems are:

Many students have left the systems early, feeling inadequate because of consistent negative reinforcement.

Students oft time would find themselves over their heads, having been moved beyond their capabilities, because of the ‘everyone should win a trophy’ philosophy which has invaded many of our ivied walls.

Putting student expectations at the lowest common denominator, leaving some students watching the hands of clocks move with eyes clouded with boredom.

I know I am still in the process of coming to a conclusion on the matter; but for now, I have concluded that it is beyond the grasp of mortals to devise a system of grading one another which will achieve a correct balance between negative and positive reinforcement and thereby help all to become ‘all they can be.’

All Teachers are hampered by their limited knowledge of:

The foundation upon which each student is building.

The speed with which each student is capable of grasping various concepts in various fields.

The realistic potential level at which each student can master a subject.

I feel it was an act of providence which aligned the stars so that there were only a few years during my professional career when I was compelled to place judgment upon the student who filled the chairs of my classrooms. I will count it as a blessing that for most of my life I didn’t have to put a star, a smiley face, a percent or a letter of the alphabet on a student’s paper or report card.

Now that I have retired from standing behind a lectern and controlling the chalk or magic marker in a classroom I have had time to ponder upon the stimulus’ which might most effectively help us all to be more constant in our progression and thereby come closer to achieving our personal potentials.

TO BE CONTINUED:

11 comments:

  1. Escucha,
    Nunca sabes si dirán las palabras justas que estabas esperando.

    Abre,
    Nunca sabes si será la persona que siempre soñaste.

    Despierta,
    Nunca sabes si ese día cambiará el resto de tu vida.

    Habla,
    Nunca sabes si tus palabras despertarán sentimientos en personas
    insospechadas.

    Cambia,
    Nunca sabes si el nuevo camino te traerá nuevas alegrías.

    Analiza,
    Nunca sabes si la situación que te acongoja,
    está disfrazada de oportunidad.

    Arriesga,
    Nunca sabes si tus movimientos audaces,
    serán el comienzo de una cadena de éxitos notables.

    Camina,
    Nunca sabes si tus huellas,
    serán el camino que sigan aquellos que confían en ti.

    Jean Paul Terceo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all went to school somewhere, and were judged, whether one size fits all or tailored to each of us and furtively assessed. Jaime Escalante appears to have been an example of a my way or the highway approach that actually worked phenomenally well at one place in time. So I'll never say never.
    I grew up with a mild case of ADD before it was invented, so despite being, or trying to be, a good, cooperating boy, had some problems throughout my school career. Tom Saywer depicted a boy like that and Mark Twain may have grown up with at least one real such boy, perhaps Samuel Clemens. Each had a difficult experience with classroom situations, and learning, and with the judgements which resulted.
    My oldest son has much of the hyperactive problem, actually more, but thankfully with far less of the rancorous spirit. He won awards for those classes which called for creativity but had problems for those which required prolonged focus.
    My love of my son, (of my two sons), is boundless. I too am a son. I did not feel that boundless love from my earthly father; I felt rather his own pride of ownership as an extension of his own ego. Somehow much was expected of me (it seems more than of my brothers), and due to my ultimate assertion of self, his expectations, and his support were lost. My independence caused an irreparable breach. I was judged; graded and found wanting.
    I am fortunate to have another Father. I have tested my other Father beyond earthly endurance, yet He endures, and patiently teaches. Is he grading me? If so, his support has been unfailing. Have I been punished, let's say corrected? I have. He has allowed me to see the detrimental results, to myself and to others, of my own foolishness. He has allowed me to inflict punishment upon myself.
    The horse can be led to the water. The student may be shown the way. How clear the sign? Just clear enough for each to see, no more. From this father, each child, each student's course is individually tailored to perfectly fit the individual. Each is graded as he chooses his own way, but the course is marked adequately for each student to maximize his learning and growth or to forfeit his opportunity.

    God's judgement, His grading system of me has been, and id one of positive regard (encouragement) and Love. It is beyond my comprehension how they can be so entwined, but not beyond my appreciation.

    "TO BE CONTINUED:" :-)

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  3. You left me hanging, can't wait tl next week. By the way, we have moved and now live at...
    keep in touch!

    Patricia Profitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your surgery tomorrow . Spinal cord surgery doesn't sound fun. You'll be in our prayers.

    Sam Webster

    ReplyDelete
  5. hanks Bro. Riley. You were an excellent teacher! I retired from teaching in Oct. after 24 years. Grading is a large dilemma and a hard one. Teaching is hard. I just hope that I had a good impact on all my students. I only remember once when you lost your cool in one of my classes in Reno. After much (bashing) as I'm not sure what to call it - you asked the individual to leave your class so the rest of us could learn the gospel. That still impresses me to this day. There have been so many times in Sunday School through the years that I wish I could ask someone to leave so the rest of the class could learn, but I've never been brave enough to do it. You were super! I can't wait to see your follow-up next week. We appreciate your good thoughts.

    Barb & Rod Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your thoughts on being "in the educational arena" and the prejudice you have against comparing people's progress "against that of another".

    I taught school for 21 years and I was blessed during that time in not having to "grade" my students' progress (except against themselves). My classes (for the first 10 years) consisted of ESL children from a variety of countries. They came to me with different degrees of ability to speak the English language. It was my challenge to see to it that they were able to communicate (both orally and in the reading and writing of our language) as soon as possible. I never had to give them a "grade" for the work they did in my class. Some students were with me for a year ~~ others for two or three years. It was important (to me and to them) that they could speak English, read and understand English, and also be able to write in English (especially when it came to testing). I loved my job! I didn't have any discipline problems and I learned to appreciate the challenges my kids faced in their 'regular' classrooms.
    For the last 10 years of my teaching career I taught children who were two years behind their class in their reading ability. It was my job to "bring them up to grade level ASAP". Here again, I had no discipline problems. The kids knew they needed help ~~ and we had a great learning experience together as they'd see their progress.
    I'm sharing all this with you because I, like you, did not want to have to ever "grade" a student. I myself was not what you'd call a 'great' student. Learning came hard to me (I was what you'd call a "slow" learner). I'm glad that I had my learning problems because I feel it made me a better teacher of children who also struggled with their learning problems. I remember one day when I asked my Principal to come into my class to just visit with the kids and let them "show off" their skills. He lasted for about 15 minutes and then said he had to leave for some "pressing problem". I asked him afterwards how come he didn't stay longer and his reply was: "Carla, I couldn't handle the pace of your classroom! Kids that are so slow drive me crazy!!!" Well, the kids didn't drive me crazy ~~ I loved those kids! and was so proud of their progress ~~ it was great fun to watch them develop in all areas of learning. When they left my class they were ready to handle the "regular" classroom and could hold their own against their peer group. That was success! and it was wonderful! How do you put a "grade" on that???
    I'm sorry I've taken so much of your time! I appreciate your insight and wisdom and I'm grateful to have you for a Friend!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill we are still traveling: South Dakota to Salt Lake yesterday, on the home stretch now for expected arrival in MV on Tuesday. It is so nice to receive your message while traveling. This last one is especially meaningful to me to. That "normal" curve application to learning has had its negative effects in many areas of education. Your words. Are so well written. Thanks. Mike

    Michael j Byrne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muchísimas gracias.

    Disfruto mucho sus escritos.


    Cristina De Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muchas Gracias

    Odalis Maria Diaz Bohorquez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brother Riley,

    Another aspect on the education system is how it is set up and set up to do what it does...
    This youtube is a great TED talk about how schools kill creativity.
    The TED talks are all very different and usually very interesting. I can get lost watching them.
    Enjoy,

    Jennie Dumas

    ReplyDelete