Sunday, January 13, 2013

FREE TIME

While performing the marriage of Dave and Chris Foote, Neal A. Maxwell said that one of the reasons we are so fascinated and preoccupied with time here on this earth is because, in the eternities, we exist as timeless beings. There is one particular aspect of the principle of time which has occupied more than a few moments of my thoughts during my life, and that is the concept of ‘free time.’

I guess by universal understanding, if not by exact definition, ‘free time’ could be said to be that time when we are able to do exactly what we wish to do, even ‘nothing’ if that is our desire. (Another concept of living that I don’t really understand – I think that if you are, you are doing something.), Since logic tells us we are always in the process of doing, then we should immediately come to the conclusion that ‘free time’ in reality becomes a time when we enter into the process of choice. We seem to be living in a continuous stream of borrowing time from one activity of life in order to participate in some other activity of life.

What we do in life is buy minutes from the ‘this of life’ in order to do the ‘that of life.’

Sleep time may be bought with recreation time

Recreation time may be bought with fix-it time

Fix-it time may be bought with television time

Television time may be bought with work time


Work time may be bought with family time

Family time may be bought with over-time

Over-time may be bought with hobby time

Hobby time may be bought with grooming time

Grooming time may be bought with worship time

Worship time may be bought with meditating time

Meditating time may be bought with education time

Education time may be bought with creating time

Creating time may be bought with sleep time

And so, in the cycle of life we finally come to understand that perhaps ‘all time’ becomes ‘free time,’ for each of us is truly left free to choose what we will do ‘this time.’

Can we really say with any validity, “I wish I had time to do ‘whatever?”

Go ahead – take the time to do ‘it,’ but understand those moments will be paid for out of your bank of limited resources.

If you choose to sleep one-third of your life, go ahead, but don't bemoan the added freedom your fellow time travelers gain by only sleeping one-fourth of theirs.

If you choose to formally dine one-sixth of your life, go ahead, but don't bemoan the added freedom your fellow time travelers gain by only eating one-twelfth of theirs.

If you choose to work one half of your life, go ahead, but don't bemoan the added freedom your fellow time travelers gain by only working one-third of theirs.

If you choose to watch television one-eighth of your life, go ahead, but don't bemoan the added freedom your fellow time travelers gain by only watching one-twenty-fourth of theirs.

So, my fellow time travelers, we have a life of ‘free time’ given to each of us. Let us choose wisely and without regret, because at the end of our journey we will have done with ‘this moment’ that which we purchased with our choices.

Soon enough, we will all have an eternity of ‘timelessness’ where we can make endless choices of what to do with our ‘non-moments.’ (That thought is going on the shelf of things to ask those with greater knowledge who reside in a higher sphere)

10 comments:

  1. Que buena reflexion.......cada cosa tiene su tiempo y debemos nivelar nuestra vida,,,,,,,,,,y asi logramos tener la tranquilidad de saber con seguridad que estamos manejando el tiempo sabiamente.....Gracias

    clarita torres gonzales

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Time hath Wrought:

    For many years I searched for God:
    I sought revelation in "The Word" but it was not.
    I sought the True Church but it was not.
    I sought a prophet but he was not.
    I sought wisdom but it was not;
    a guru but he was not.
    I sought fellowship with another with keen insights,
    who was seeking the same;
    but alas, for him, I was not.
    How sad that after all my seeking and finding not
    in the end only to discover that I was not.

    Still on I seek, with all my heart, God,
    Believing, if but by anecdotal evidence, that He is;
    Cumulative evidence notwithstanding.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this and all of your messages.

    Kristen Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is funny that you wrote this weeks ago and I was thinking about the same experience in the temple with Elder Maxwell...

    We sure appreciated you guys coming to SLC all the way from Reno to attend our sealing... I am pretty sure that we thanked you but just in case, there it is..

    We would love to come and see you guys sometime... we are planning on going on a mission to Frankfurt Germany towards the end of this year so we are going to be doing lots of travelling to see friends and family before we go..

    Dave Foote

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al leer sus pensamientos siempre quedo pensando en los míos A veces estoy de acuerdo y otras me resisto a estarlo, pocas veces no estoy de acuerdo.

    Por ejemplo en este caso, del tiempo libre. Créame le doy la razón pero para mi es difícil pues mi tiempo libre, no es el mismo de mi esposo o mi hija. Y cuando creo que tengo el tiempo libre y quiero hacer algo, no puedo, la razón ellos no están disponibles. Mas yo si, pero para hacer las cosas que ellos no pueden hacer. Pocas veces hago lo que considero puedo hacer y otras no hago nada provechoso para otros, mas si para mi. Llevo 21 años de casada, mi esposo tiene 71 en la actualidad y yo 53. Tenemos una hija de 18. Como puede ver estoy en la mitad de dos generaciones, y la verdad no se como hacer. Así que imaginara como compartimos el tiempo libre. Perdóneme que comparta estas cosas con usted, pero amo mi familia y leyendo lo que leí, creo que cada día los pierdo. Aunque vamos juntos a la Iglesia, y comemos juntos. Aquí me encanta estar con ellos, es mi deseo estar con ellos cuando llegue los momentos del no tiempo libre. Que haré La verdad estoy como al principio de leer su hermoso pensamiento, pero mas preocupada que antes. Sera que usted puede darme una sugerencia? Se que lleva mucho tiempo de casado y la experiencia de ustedes me puede ayudar a mi. Le agradezco de antemano. Y tambien le pido disculpas por molestarle.

    Sinceramente,
    Tina Barrera

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buenas tardes hermano Riley

    Como siempre es un placer leer cada pensamiento que usted envia y llega a mi buzón de correos... me inspiran y me hacen pensar en muchas de las cosas allí escritas y hoy mientras leía su mensaje del domingo mas detenidamente, me vino a la mente preguntarle algo que a lo mejor usted me pueda ayudar si no es mucha molestia y si tiene algo de ese tiempo libre para dedicarlo a esta humilde lectora de pensamientos.

    Desde hace muchos años he venido preguntándome como hacer para que mi esposo comprenda que nuestros hijos tienen albedrio, y se debe respetar.. usted parece ser una persona con mucho conocimiento y analiza bastante cada cosa que piensa y la plasma en letras, y esa es una de las razones por las cuales con mucho respeto acudo a usted en busca de una guía.. he orado mucho al respecto, conozco la doctrina, porque me gusta leer mucho también, pero mi esposo no me escucha y dice que los hijos deben hacer todo lo que él diga, ya que él como padre es responsable ante el señor de llevarlos a su presencia. Por mas de 24 años la situación a sido la misma y a medida que los hijos han crecido le han reclamado a él su derecho de decidir. El mayor problema es con la lectura de las escrituras en familia, ya que no les ha dado la oportunidad de que ellos sientan el deseo de levantarse cada mañana para realizarla, siempre están sujetos a un castigo si no lo hacen, entonces ellos muchas veces se levantan para no recibir dicho castigo.. hemos tenido algunas discusiones al respecto él y yo, pero lo único que me dice es que debo respetar su voz de sacerdote y obedecer.. esto no genera un buen sentimiento y en ocasiones no logro concentrarme en la importancia de lo que hacemos pues él con su forma de hacer las cosas hace que el espíritu se aleje... como bien le dije por muchos años esto a sido lo mismo, es muy terco y orgulloso.. él conoce mucho de la iglesia, pero algunas de ellas las aplica a su manera, y esto no es bueno ya que se debe hacer a la manera del señor..

    Gracias por tomarse el tiempo de leer esta nota, ademas por su ayuda en este aspecto que me inquieta...

    Una ultima cosa y es que él enseña que cuando una persona se hace miembro de la iglesia, pierde el albedrio y ya no tiene derecho a decidir, pues ya decidió seguir al señor y no puede retractarse de eso...

    Atentamente,

    Claudia Gonzales

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola Brother Riley,

    Que te vaya bien!

    I am in Guatemala now, having been here since January 1st and have just one more week of my stay. The time has flown.

    I very much love your messaage about free time. I have been soooo fortunate to spend most of my afternoons (I guess you might label it free time) with the most precious children here who have severe cerebral palsy.

    An experience just a few days ago showed me how very little it takes on our part to lighten the burden of another. A precious nina, Stephanie, who is 11 years old, was in her crib sobbing and thrashing around relentlessly. I found out that she had had a physical exam earlier in the day and, of course, was upset because she has no idea why. It only took a minute or two for me to lift her out of her crib, place her in a wheelchair, and take her into the garden and the sunshine. There, we ripped pages out of magazines, and a happier child you could not imagine. We laughed and laughed and her tears completely disappeared.

    These children are a tremendous blessing in my life. They let me know what is important and how much I have been given. And then, a double blessing for me, I have your insightful message to back up the best way to spend tiempo libre.

    Muchas gracias por su mensaje.

    Con amor,

    Bonnie Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your "THOUGHTS" on Free Time! You have given me a new perspective on how to view "Time". I've decided to give more serious "time" to deciding how I want to spend my "time". I value free agency and since it is my "time" here on earth that I'm dealing with and nobody elses, then I can decide for myself how to spend my "time".

    However, that last statement is false as my "time" is interlocked with other people's "time" ~~ so my "time" isn't necessarily just "mine"!
    Well, as I said before, you've given me something to think seriously about.

    Thanks for your "THOUGHTS"!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete