Sunday, February 17, 2013

FOR THESE THINGS AND MORE I AM GRATEFUL (3)

In the beginning was the Word…

The only Begotten of the Father – that by him, and through him, the worlds are and were created – in him was life and the life was the light of men – and he said unto the Father send me

And the Word was made flesh…

And his name shall be Immanuel – the virgin whom thou seeth is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh – Mary, blessed art thou among women – for unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord – behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father

And the Word became perfect…

Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favour with God and man – behold the Lamb of God going forth among the children of men – multitudes of people who were sick, and who were afflicted with all manner of diseases – they were healed by the power of the Lamb of God – for we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin – the Lamb of God was taken by the people – the Lamb without blemish the Son of the Everlasting God was judged of the world

And the Word brought Salvation to all…

And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross – which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink – nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men – that all mankind should be saved at the last day, and that they need not fear nor tremble, but that they might lift up their heads and rejoice; for the Lord had created all men, and had also redeemed all men; and, in the end, all men should have eternal life – for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive

Using the words of those who have testified in Holy Writ I have introduced another facet of my life which not only enlightens me but also fills most of my days with reason and gratitude.

Just as the Plan of Happiness has instructed me in the ways I should walk during my mortal life, the Plan of Salvation gives me the hope and fills my soul with faith, that because of the condescension of the Son of God and His atoning sacrifice, the bonds of death have been broken, and all shall rise again.

Without this hope:

Each sunrise would be an introduction to another day of monotonous life sustaining activities

Interactions would become a continual game competition of king of the hill filled with contention

There would be a never ending unfulfilled search for the meaning of existence

The senseless gathering of stuff would become life’s goal

Witnessing man’s inhumanity would fill my heart with sadness and sorrow

Each sunset would leave me desirous of sleep’s darkness as a break from the day’s doldrums

With faith developed from this hope:

Each sunrise is an introduction to another day filled with aspirations of fulfilling magnifying of stewardships

Relationships become opportunities to develop cooperation and find opportunities where charity can be extended

One has a foundation of the understanding of the purpose of existence, upon which they can build continual learning and a life of endless explorations

Having enough stuff for the sustaining of life becomes sufficient

Publishing peace fills my heart with purpose and joy

Each sunset leaves me desirous for the coming of tomorrow with its promise of further opportunities for progress

I, like Paul of old, can gratefully say that if in this life only, we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. With equal gratitude I can say that with faith in the salvation and the redemption brought by the Lamb of God we can be of all men most joyful.

TO BE CONTINUED

6 comments:

  1. Que Hermoso !! pdte Riley ... gracias por cada mensaje lleno de esperanza...

    Jenny Henao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias Bill, como siempre inspirador.

    Alexander Ospina Rubio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill said: "I, like Paul of old, can gratefully say that if in this life only, we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. With equal gratitude I can say that with faith in the salvation and the redemption brought by the Lamb of God we can be of all men most joyful."

    Clearly then, with respect to the Christian experience at least, hope by itself is far worse than "hopeful". Add faith however to hope and a Christian achieves the most (superlative) joyful state.

    You help me understand the scriptures in a way that I never have before. This note explains why the masses of committed Christians, both Mormon and protestant, appear to have so little need to love their fellow men. They feel they have already achieved the pinnacle of happiness without it. Love appears by the standard of this scripture, great though it may be, unnecessary to their personal joy.

    The psychology of mankind has proved beyond doubt that, at least in the aggregate, we move towards reward.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, dear Friend! I really did enjoy the "read"!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete