Sunday, November 20, 2016

WORDS WHICH ADD MEANING TO THANKSGIVING

I was going to start this Thought about Thanksgiving with the text of a reading I used to perform back in the day, but the words were in Pidgin English and I knew there wasn’t a chance I would be able to translate it into Spanish. (I may just send it out Thanksgiving Day for the enjoyment of those who speak English)

Anyway, this got me thinking about all the words which, for me, add meaning to Thanksgiving Day and my thankfulness every day of the year.


BLESSINGS

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.


Text: Thomas Ken


LOVE

As I have loved you,
Love one another.
This new commandment:
Love one another.
By this shall men know
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love
One to another.


Words: Luacine Clark Fox


GOODNESS


Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.


Text: Karen Lynn Davidson


GRATITUDE

From all that dwell below the skies,
Let the Creator's praise arise;
Let the Redeemer's name be sung
Through ev'ry land, by ev'ry tongue.
In ev'ry land begin the song;
To ev'ry land the strains belong.
In cheerful sounds all voices raise
And fill the world with loudest praise.
Your lofty themes, ye mortals, bring;
In songs of praise divinely sing.
The great salvation loud proclaim,
And shout for joy the Savior's name.
Eternal are thy mercies, Lord;
Eternal truth attends thy word.
Thy praise shall sound from shore to shore,
Till suns shall rise and set no more.


Text: Isaac Watts


HAPPINESS


Ducks in the pond quack a happy song.
Mother hens cackle the whole day long.
Birds in their nests and wind in the treetops
All join in singing a happy song.

Children are singing a happy song,
Singing together the whole day long.
Don't mind the weather; let's sing together,
All join in singing a happy song.


Anon – Czech folk song


PEACE


Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, Searching my soul?
Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
He answers privately, Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.


Text: Emma Lou Thayne


COMFORT

Abide with me! fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens. Lord, with me abide!
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me!

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day.
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!

I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Thru cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me!


Text: Henry F. Lyte

May these and all the words of Thanksgiving Day fill our hearts with song this day and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment