Sunday, September 3, 2017

LOVING GOD

By the time we get around to some of the items on our bucket list we have usually forgotten why we wanted to include some of those items on our list. There are also times when we are fulfilling an item on our bucket list when we wonder why we would ever have put such a thing on our list.

Reading the Great Books of the Western World definitely fits in the forgetting why, but not in the wondering why part of the items on my bucket list. Although I have only finished seven years of the 10 year course outlined by Johns Hopkin, it has been a meaningful journey through the foundational writings of western thought.

One of the more important personal enlightenments which happened to me during my journey through this very extensive bucket list experience came while reading the words of two of the Christian writers who lived during what is often referred to as the Dark Ages. These writers who definitely impacted heavily the later phase of my mortal sojourn were St. Augustine and Justin Martyr.

When I read their testimonies of the relationship they had with God, it caused me to spend many hours of deep soul searching as to why they seemed to have experienced both loving God and feeling God’s love to a much higher degree than had been my experience.

The conclusions which came to me as a result of my hours of pondering on this perceived gulf between the relationships these great Christians had with God and my own ironically came to a climax as I was reading the words of Bishop Felton Sheen a prominent 20th century Christian.

The following are some statements from Bishop Sheen:

‘For if you love God you will never do anything to offend Him.’

‘Law is for the imperfect follower of God.’

‘Love is for the perfect follower of God.’

‘Law is for those who what to know the minimum.’

‘Love is for those who are interested in the maximum.’

‘Laws emphasize the negative approach – thou shalt not.’

‘Love emphasizes the affirmative – love with all your heart.’

‘One who lives by law is constantly measuring limits.’

‘Love is never measured.’

‘Our deeds are proof of our love.’

‘Love is demonstrated by our preferences.’

‘We hold back on loving God completely because of a fear of what we may lose.’

‘When you have the sun you have no need of a candle.’


In the book of John 14: 15, 23, 24, the Apostle John recorded the Savior’s words proclaiming the proper order between Love and laws as they pertain to becoming a successful disciple.

If ye love me, keep my commandments… If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.

Matthew recorded in the 22nd chapter of his book in versus 37 - 40 this key relationship between Loving God and living the law in the following very oft quoted words.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.


As we read and ponder the words of those who seem to have grasped the importance of Loving God as a pathway to living the law we can't help but be moved by the stirring words of Mormon as he pled with us near the end of his life.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of your heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him. (Moroni 7:48)

I am well aware that many of us are most comfortable when like Benjamin Franklin we have a long list of improvements (laws – commandments) we need to make in our lives and then go about the time consuming task of making these changes in our lives, much like checking items off of a bucket list.

Since my pondering has brought me to believe the many testimonies which have been given that the surer way to becoming a disciple of the Savior is by learning to love Him I offer the following as my personal witness of why I feel this is the right path.

I can easily remember the one commandment to love God

When I love God I have wrought upon me the desire to do good continually

Loving God is the very key which leads to the mighty change of heart

There is insufficient time during mortality to conquer the multitudiness commandments

When I love God, loving my neighbor becomes an achievable goal

If my heart is filled with the love for God, correct choices become clear

If I keep my heart filled with the love for God, I make incorrect choices less frequently

As I experience greater love for God I gain a greater feeling of His love for me


My prayer this Sabbath Day is that we will all spend some time pondering about how we can increase our love for God.

THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY
EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment