Sunday, May 6, 2018

CELESTIAL GPS

We live in a very remarkable age. If I want to find out how far I am standing from the pin on the green while golfing, I just look at an app on my cell phone. If I want to be directed around any possible delays on a trip, I just look at an app on my cell phone. If I want to know where the nearest food market is, I just look at an app on my cell phone. If I want to know what the weather is going to be, I just look at an app on my cell phone.

I won’t belabor the point by going through all 492 zillion apps (just a guess) which can be accessed by a cell phone, because that is not the point about our time on earth which I find remarkable. The point I find remarkable is that all of these devices which were developed by the intelligence of mortals, we accept and have faith that they will work as advertised. But, when it comes to reading about a ball of curious workmanship which Lehi found outside of his tent one morning while dwelling in the desert, we scoff about whether Heavenly Father, with all Eternal and Everlasting Knowledge could have created an instrument which gave direction, led Lehi’s family to fertile areas, gave counsel on how to live and instructions on correctness of behavior.

I can hear all my grandchildren sighing wondering how, pick a title (abuelo/grandpa), could possibly compare something we can feel, punch and speak to, with something we can only believe exists by faith. Well it is because this abuelo/grandpa can only go on faith that I can know the distance to the pin, avoid traffic jams, find a restaurant or do anything other than make phone calls on my smart phone. In fact I usually refer to it as my dumb phone. However, it is nice to have my loved one’s phone numbers handy,

Just as a smart phone is useful only to the extent of the understanding of the person who holds it in their palm, the Liahona (the name by which the ball of curious workmanship was known) was only useful to the degree that those who held it understood how to unlock its wonders.

Nephi proclaims the keys to having the power to operate the Liahona were small and simple means which he tells us are faith and diligence in heeding the instructions written on the ball. My grandchildren tell me it is a small and simple thing to open the wonders of the apps on my cell phone, but I find I have neither the desire, patience nor fortitude to pay the price necessary to unlock this wonder of technology. Besides, I have become very content with my desk bound personal computer, which provides just about all the wonderment I can handle at this stage of my life.

I suspect those who find it difficult to believe that the Omniscient God could have provided Lehi with such a marvelous instrument long before the mortal genius of men developed such a thing, struggle in much the same way I do in adding apps to my phone. I suspect they lack the desire and patience and are unwilling to pay the price to know for themselves, from the whisperings of the Holy Spirit that the Liahona preceded the advent of the smart phone by some 2600 years.

Although I have never found a ball of curious workmanship which could provide me with guidance that I can hold and see, I am grateful that I have been gifted with the whisperings of the Holy Spirit which like the Liahona, gives me courage to do that which I have never previously done. In fact I don’t think I could identify a phase or experience of life which didn’t have a first time, unknown aspect to it.

During my teenage years, when admittedly was a period in which I suffered both mental and spiritual dullness, every morning I seemed to awaken to new challenges. I can only wonder how much easier the way would have been if I had been more susceptible to the whispering of the Holy Spirit.

When I was serving on active duty in the Army, I was constantly in dire need of direction on how to maneuver through territory which was both new and contrary to my nature. I need only to go into my memory banks to bring back grateful remembrances of those periodic moments when I was blessed with the whisperings of the Holy Spirit.

While serving my mission among my Mexican brothers and sisters, when any success in fulfilling my calling was totally dependent on my close association with the Holy Spirt, sadly I wish I had been more constant in seeking this blessing.

Marriage and having the stewardship of raising children was a time when I regretfully allowed the cares of the world to distract me from the dedication which should have accompanied this one eternal calling we have on earth and I can only mourn that I was not more diligent in listening to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit.

The stewardships in the Church which I have had the opportunity and privilege to hold will forever be counted among my most cherished blessings, because it was while working in the Lord’s vineyard that I finally yielded my soul to the necessity for and the constancy of the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

In my final and perhaps most peaceful phase of mortality, I am grateful for the path my feet have been placed upon, which now allows my days to be filled with the comfort of the companionship of the Holy Spirit.


I would pray that a portion of this Sabbath Day might be spent pondering upon how we can increase our humility, desire and patience in order to unlock the personal Liahona our Father in Heaven has promised to all of His children who diligently seek it.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY


No comments:

Post a Comment