Sunday, November 18, 2018

ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WANTING 1

As I was leaving the breakfast table and about to ‘weave my way’ downstairs to spend time writing a Thought, (an expression which becomes more of a reality now that my spinal stenosis has taken control of my legs again) Kathleen, in response to me asking if she had any inspiration, assured me that I needed to remember she is not the source of my inspiration. It was too late!

Stimulated by her previous remark that Jacob, the prophet/writer I would be basing my Thought on for this week always left her feeling cheated that he hadn’t written more. we concluded that that could probably be a statement about all of the prophets who have been instruments in revealing the will of the Father to His children.

By the time I reached the stairwell going downstairs, my mind was thinking about the many movies and books which, when The End flashed, I had been left with the feeling, ‘No --- you can’t end the story at this point.’ Many writers and authors have assured themselves of job security with this cliff hanging ending technique which demanded sequels.

There are times when I wish I could return to those more youthful days when after being left in what seemed like the middle of a story line, I would make up three or four continuations to the plots and then pick the one which was most satisfying to me at the time.

During my High School and early College days, I was involved in a few attempts at being a thespian. I remember one of the lessons most often repeated was ‘always leave them wanting more’.

As I read the words of scriptural writers I have often wondered if they likewise used the ‘always leave them wanting more’ ploy as a means to move us to inquire of the Lord so that their curt revelations might springboard us into drinking from the source of all fountains of knowledge.

Since the Book of Jacob was translated from the Small Plates of Nephi, we cannot blame Mormon for abridging all the meat out of Jacob’s writings. This is what he put on the Small Plates and this is what Joseph Smith translated.

As I skim through some of the major principles and doctrines found in the first four chapters of the Book of Jacob in the Book of Mormon, I invite us to allow ourselves to be overcome by being left wanting and seek to sip from the waters sent forth from the
Fountain of all Knowledge and Understanding.

And we also had many revelations, and the spirit of much prophecy; wherefore, we knew of Christ and his kingdom, which should come. Wherefore we labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest, lest by any means he should swear in his wrath they should not enter in, as in the provocation in the days of temptation while the children of Israel were in the wilderness. Wherefore, we would to God that we could persuade all men not to rebel against God, to provoke him to anger, but that all men would believe in Christ, and view his death, and suffer his cross and bear the shame of the world; wherefore, I, Jacob, take it upon me to fulfil the commandment of my brother Nephi.
(Jacob 1: 6-8)

I am struck with the understanding that those who have accepted the commission to publish peace not only need to strive to persuade others to come unto Christ, but also admonish them to at least be mindful not to rebel against God.

I am constantly aware of the pleasantness of inviting a brother or sister to come unto Christ, but I fear the unpleasantness which attends persuading them to not rebel against God has kept me from fulfilling this part of my calling.

As I read the words of the early prophets of the Latter Days I find them involved in both halves of the equation, but as I read the words of the more recent prophets of the Latter days I am almost overwhelmed with the feeling that the message of the day is the kinder one of persuading all to come unto Christ and partake of His goodness.

And the hand of providence hath smiled upon you most pleasingly, that you have obtained many riches; and because some of you have obtained more abundantly than that of your brethren ye are lifted up in the pride of your hearts, and wear stiff necks and high heads because of the costliness of your apparel, and persecute your brethren because ye suppose that ye are better than they.

And now, my brethren, do ye suppose that God justifieth you in this thing? Behold, I say unto you, Nay. But he condemneth you, and if ye persist in these things his judgments must speedily come unto you. O that he would show you that he can pierce you, and with one glance of his eye he can smite you to the dust! O that he would rid you from this iniquity and abomination. And, O that ye would listen unto the word of his commands, and let not this pride of your hearts destroy your souls!

Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you. But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

And now, my brethren, I have spoken unto you concerning pride; and those of you which have afflicted your neighbor, and persecuted him because ye were proud in your hearts, of the things which God hath given you, what say ye of it? Do ye not suppose that such things are abominable unto him who created all flesh? And the one being is as precious in his sight as the other. And all flesh is of the dust; and for the selfsame end hath he created them, that they should keep his commandments and glorify him forever. And now I make an end of speaking unto you concerning this pride.
(Jacob 2: 13-21)

As I apply Nephi’s admonition to liken the scriptures unto ourselves it becomes obvious that we suffer in like manner and even exceed in many ways the conditions which Jacob described as being a problem among the Nephites of his era.

We fail miserably when it comes to thinking some of us of different pigmentation, nationalities, educational achievements and financial accomplishments in no were equal to those of lesser status.

Religion, rather than being a means to unite the children of our Heavenly Parents, has become a propagation tool used to demonstrate how one brother or sister is more precious unto God than another.

Although I may be left feeling as an Island in an ocean filled with prejudices and bigotry I must cleave to the commission to publish the universal kinship of all mankind and that our Heavenly Father is no exceptor of persons.

ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WANTING

(to be continued)


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY


No comments:

Post a Comment