Sunday, January 27, 2019

MAXIMIZING HAPPINESS DURING MORTALITY – FAITH IN THE LORD JESUS THE CHRIST

During the latter part of Mosiah I’s reign and throughout the reign of his son Benjamin and then continuing into the latter part of his grandson, Mosiah II’s reign (circa 150 BC – 92 BC), the Book of Mormon people known as Nephites enjoyed the blessings of a mini period of living in a Zion-like society. The prophet/king Alma later records that there cannot be a happier people than those who are blessed to live during such times.

We aren’t given much instruction about the governmental and economic administrations of this period other than that both the people and the King were striving to live their lives according to the laws of God and that all worked diligently to sustain the welfare of the people. The society was built on the principles of equality and inclusiveness. King Benjamin writes that he labored diligently with his hands so that he would not be a burden to his people.

We are left with the vision that if a people work diligently and maintain a high standard of moral behavior, they will be blessed with sufficient temporal needs and with relationships which maximize happiness.

I cannot recall if I have ever read the address Benjamin gave to his people, which has been translated by the gift of God and come to us in chapters two thru five of the book of Mosiah of the Book of Mormon, without being struck with the feeling that King Benjamin was giving us the key principles upon which mankind’s ability to maximize their happiness during mortality depends.

Whether I am 100% correct or not about the principles given in King Benjamin’s address being the very keys to maximizing our happiness or not, I do believe 100% that anyone who strives to live according to the principles outlined in his address will be blessed with abundant happiness. We may fall short of being blessed with the added blessing of living in a Zion like society, because others may not have chosen to apply the necessary principles to their lives, but the promised happiness will not be withheld.

The many times I have had the joy of going through these chapters in classroom settings testify to me that it was going to be impossible for me to cover them in one Thought for one Sabbath Day. For those with great memories and if you have been reading my Thoughts for the last three weeks you will be aware that those Thoughts were also based on King Benjamin’s address, so for you this will be the fourth Thought based on his words.

Therefore, I invite you to come with me as I continue pondering the wonderful words of King Benjamin. As a prelude to this series of Thoughts I include the words found in Mosiah 2: 41 thru Mosiah 3: 1-4.

And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

And again my brethren, I would call your attention, for I have somewhat more to speak unto you; for behold, I have things to tell you concerning that which is to come. And the things which I shall tell you are made known unto me by an angel from God. And he said unto me: Awake; and I awoke, and behold he stood before me. And he said unto me: Awake, and hear the words which I shall tell thee; for behold, I am come to declare unto you the glad tidings of great joy.

For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness, and hath sent me to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy.


We are not given to know if King Benjamin’s address came completely from the visitation of an angel or not, but whatever was his source, he had boldly proclaimed that the words were not to be trifled with, but our challenge was to wake up, listen and apply the principles if we had desires to maximize our happiness during mortality.

Just as Joseph Smith declared in the Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that the first principle of the gospel was faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ, the angel declared the first principle leading to a life filled with joy is Faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ.

A few things the angel pronounces which we should consider as we contemplate the completeness of our faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ:

Do I believe He is the Lord Omnipotent who reigns from all eternity to all eternity?

Do I believe He came to dwell on earth and performed miracles, cast out devils, suffered and resisted temptations, is called Jesus Christ, Son of God, Father of heaven and earth, creator of all things?

Do I believe He was born after the manner of men and His mother was called Mary?

Do I believe He came that salvation might come unto the children of men?

Do I believe there is no other name given whereby salvation can come unto the children of men?


I conclude this Thought with extracts form King Benjamin’s personal testimony of his faith in Jesus the Christ.

And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you. For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body—I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world. And this is the means whereby salvation cometh. And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you.

Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend. And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.

And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
(Mosiah 4: 4-11)

I add my personal testimony, that the first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ. Likewise, the first principle of maximizing our happiness during mortality is faith in the Lord Jesus the Christ.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY



No comments:

Post a Comment