Sunday, March 3, 2019

LIFE’S REFINERS

It didn’t take me very long in the earlier days of my life’s journey to realize there were many characteristics which seemed to come with my having gained a mortal body and mind, which were not necessarily all that wonderful. I doubt I have enough weeks left to write about all of the weaknesses which I have had to contend with during my life, so for this week I will just be revealing the two attributes of independence and competitiveness which to a certain degree can be a positive thing in our lives, but when they dominate relationships they most often result in dysfunctional interactions.

Once I became converted to the benefits associated with knowing that Heavenly Father blesses his struggling children with the privilege of being guided by those who have made the veil between Heaven and Earth so opaque that they could know the will of the Lord and make it known, It became apparent there was the need to change the characteristics which were counterproductive to relationships of love and harmony. Like Limhi (Mosiah 8: 17-20) I knew my life could be forever changed if I would diligently follow the Heavenly directions sent to their assistant refiners.

And Ammon said that a seer is a revelator and a prophet also; and a gift which is greater can no man have, except he should possess the power of God, which no man can; yet a man may have great power given him from God. But a seer can know of things which are past, and also of things which are to come, and by them shall all things be revealed, or, rather, shall secret things be made manifest, and hidden things shall come to light, and things which are not known shall be made known by them, and also things shall be made known by them which otherwise could not be known.

Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings.

And now, when Ammon had made an end of speaking these words the king rejoiced exceedingly, and gave thanks to God, saying: Doubtless a great mystery is contained within these plates, and these interpreters were doubtless prepared for the purpose of unfolding all such mysteries to the children of men. O how marvelous are the works of the Lord, and how long doth he suffer with his people; yea, and how blind and impenetrable are the understandings of the children of men; for they will not seek wisdom, neither do they desire that she should rule over them!


Through the prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord made it abundantly clear that interdependence is built into the very essence of Heavenly Father’s plan to bring about the changes necessary for us to inch toward becoming as He is.

But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving, that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils, or the commandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils.

Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given; For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts. And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given unto the church. For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
(Doctrine and Covenants 46: 7-12)

As I continue to work to overcome my telestial need to retain independence, I am reminded of my grandfather Earnest Albert Law who in his 9th decade of life stated: ‘I suspect Heavenly Father is allowing me to continue to live to give me time to repent’. In my own case I think my conversion process to total interdependence will as Neal A. Maxwell said: ‘a work which will continue to need refining into the next stage of existence’.

In my personal life competitiveness usually contributed to negative relationships because it often manifested itself, as does pride, in many other negative attributes. Competition could be a springboard to anger. Competition could lead to belittling name calling. Competition often resulted in shunning and excluding others. I assure you I could add to this list of negatives relating to overzealous competitiveness, but I think you get the idea as to why in my life there was a great need for change.

The list of those who have contributed to my meager progress away from competitiveness and towards cooperation is lengthy. Some were called teacher, some were called mentor, some were called leader, but they all contributed to redirecting my behavior away from the often destructive divisiveness which results from competition towards the more productive results which come from cooperation.

In the words of Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf delivered in General Conference in October of 2008 the principle is joyfully taught.

Some years ago in our meetinghouse in Darmstadt, Germany, a group of brethren was asked to move a grand piano from the chapel to the adjoining cultural hall, where it was needed for a musical event. None were professional movers, and the task of getting that gravity-friendly instrument through the chapel and into the cultural hall seemed nearly impossible. Everybody knew that this task required not only physical strength but also careful coordination. There were plenty of ideas, but not one could keep the piano balanced correctly. They repositioned the brethren by strength, height, and age over and over again—nothing worked.

As they stood around the piano, uncertain of what to do next, a good friend of mine, Brother Hanno Luschin, spoke up. He said, “Brethren, stand close together and lift where you stand.”

It seemed too simple. Nevertheless, each lifted where he stood, and the piano rose from the ground and moved into the cultural hall as if on its own power. That was the answer to the challenge. They merely needed to stand close together and lift where they stood.


In my own life those who were male teachers, mentors and leaders might be compared to the rough carpenters building houses, while the women teachers, mentors and leaders would better be characterized by viewing them as the finish carpenters who cover up all the mistakes and smooth the edges and beautify with tender touches.

I know there is yet a long way to go on the journey of perfection, but I will be forever grateful that there are those who have paid the price to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and thereby can help in stoking the fire of The Refiner.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment