Sunday, April 7, 2019

PROGRESSING TOWARD KNOWING

I started learning very early in life that choices and action have consequences!

Annoying people who are bigger and stronger can lead to being hurt.

One should never approach an on deck batter when playing baseball without looking.

Jumping from boulder to boulder where bottles have been broken leaves lifelong scars.

Lighting matches in a dry field is not a wise thing to do.

Throwing 22 shells into a potbelly stove is stupid.

Using Easter Basket grass as tobacco in a corncob pipe will scorch your throat.


I could confess to many more lessons learned through hard knocks during my life, but the afore mentioned are easiest to admit to since they all happened when I was still covered by the innocence of little children clause.

There are some of life’s consequences which are not as obvious as being affected by choices and actions, but just seem to be part of the natural process of enjoying a long and full life.

Regular and consistent learning leads to greater retention than cramming.

There is no way to retain all of one’s physical proficiency.

Having wonderful memories of life’s events is not the same as accurate recall.

The loss of mental capacity is far worse that losing the sense of smell or taste.

It is important to always be involved in some project which will probably remain unfinished.

There are more absolutes during life than death and taxes.


There was a time in life when it was very easy for me to proclaim to know the totality of truth, when the reality was that I only knew a portion of the truth I was proclaiming to be true.

The Church is true.

The Book of Mormon is true.

Obedience to gospel standards and living the commandments is equally possible for all.

All are to be judged by the same standard.

All have equal opportunity to progress.

There is only one path leading to the Tree of Life.


Even though what you have just read is another example of my habit of lengthy introductions, it was a fun exercise for me and therefore I would recommend it to you as a beneficial activity. Now hopefully, on to what all of this reminiscing may have been leading.

While reading the words of Abinadi, in the 16th chapter of the book of Mosiah in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ,

Before continuing it would probably be a good thing to get us all on the same page by reminding ourselves of what the term resurrection means.

The Resurrection consists in the uniting of a spirit body with a body of flesh and bones, never again to be divided. The Resurrection shall come to all, because of Christ’s victory over death. Jesus Christ was the first to be resurrected on this earth. (Bible Dictionary – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Edition of King James Bible)

I have no doubt that Abinadi’s understanding of the resurrection far exceeds that which I currently have and that which seemed to be universally lacking during my exchanges with mentors and students over the years. To illustrate the point I offer a short list of questions which have been part of my interactions on the subject of resurrection.

When the graves were opened at the time of the Savior’s resurrection, who came forth and were they resurrected at that time?

What is meant by the resurrection of the just?

Who will resurrect in the first resurrection, the second etc.?

Is there more than one day of judgement before one is resurrected?

Is there an order in which Heavenly Father’s children are resurrected?

Who will determine the degree of glory to which we will be resurrected?

What will the relationships be like which we had during mortality after the resurrection?


Just like so many aspects of life, truth and understanding there was a time when I had a much greater confidence in the absoluteness of my knowledge concerning the doctrines concerning resurrection than I currently enjoy. I don’t know if it is common to all who live beyond the their generation’s life expectancy or not, but for me the extension of life has brought with it a vivid recognition that after all I have learned, I know very little.

I find that my list of things hoped for becomes more extensive with each passing day.

I find that those things I have faith in expands very slowly.

I find that my list of things I have absolute knowledge of shrinks continually.

I find it essential to continue my petitions to the Lord concerning the truths of the gospel.

I find that my coming to the realization of my nothingness brings assurances of my eternalness.

I find that feeling the comfort of the Holy Spirit is more important than knowing.


I am eternally grateful that my life’s path has included the companionship of prophets such as Abinadi, whom I believe knew. Having enjoyed their companionship gives me continual hope that the day will come when I too will see clearly through the veil.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

No comments:

Post a Comment