Sunday, October 6, 2019

SENT FORTH TO TEACH

There is no doubt every time I come to chapter 17 of the Book of Alma in The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ my body has a jolt of pleasantness pass through it because of the anticipation of the joyful journey I will be taking as I search the mission report of Ammon, Aaron, Omni and Himni which is recorded in the next 10 chapters.

As I begin reading I am once again reminded of the great opportunity I missed by not using the example of these sons of King Mosiah as a powerful teaching moment when Kathleen and I had the privilege of serving as the leaders of the Colombia Bogota North mission.

If I could have another chance at teaching during one of those zone conferences I would use verses 2-18 of chapter 17 to teach the missionaries the following qualities which qualify us to go forth as one of the Lord’s missionaries:

Willing to forsake all (for these sons this included not becoming King)

Prepared themselves with the necessities of keeping safe

Inspired to go unto the Lamanites who lacked any understanding of the gospel

Went forth with the desire to bring the Lamanites unto redemption through repentance

Knew they were instruments in the hands of God

Were comforted by the Spirit

Finding joy in being in the brotherhood and sisterhood of the Lord

Diligently search the scripture to come to know the word of God

Giving oneself up to much prayer and fasting

Gaining the spirit of prophecy

Gaining the spirit of revelation

Teaching with power through the authority of God

Taught by example as well as the word

Were patient trusting in the Lord

Accepted long-suffering as part of their commission

Were endowed with courage

Were blessed and sent forth by one having authority (Ammon)


With hind sight being the ever great teacher, as I review the concepts just stated I would have had material for several Zone Conferences.

In the beginning of his book Teach Ye Diligently on pages two and three Elder Boyd K. Packer makes the following observations about members of the church and teaching:

Every member of the Church teaches virtually their whole lifetime

Whenever we are expounding on any doctrine in any place we are teaching

All who serve beginning with the Prophet of the Lord teach

The Church goes forward sustained by the power of the teaching that is accomplished


As he concludes his book Elder Packer, invokes the following blessings of God, given in the name of Him who died that we might live, the Son of God , the Redeemer of the world, Jesus the Christ, upon all who teach:

That He will quicken your understanding

That He will increase your wisdom

That He will enlighten you by experience

That He will bestow upon you patience

That He will bestow upon you charity

That He will endow you with the discernment of spirits

That He will give you entrance into the hearts of those who hear your words

That He will give you the knowledge that when you are in those hearts you stand in holy places

That He will give you the skill and power to teach righteousness

That He will give you the ability to foster in others the desire to grow greater every day

That He will bless you that your faith and testimonies increase


I add a few thoughts of my own which I hope will help us all to understand, when all is said and done, it is really impossible for us to escape being teachers:

I am teaching when I show joy through smiles

I am teaching when I show skills through demonstration

I am teaching when I show service through example

I am teaching when I show respect though reverence

I am teaching when I show faith through obedience

I am teaching when I show duty through diligence

I am teaching when I show love through caring and serving


There is little doubt that we have been given sufficient instructions, examples, blessings and understanding to enlighten us with the knowledge that it will never be a matter of whether we will be teaching during our lives, the question is what and how will we teach.

May the Lord bless us continually that we will have His Holy Spirit to guide, inspire and aid us in our daily walk of being teachers.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

THINK + PREPARE + DO + PEACE + JOY + LOVE + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment