Sunday, November 17, 2019

HOLY CALLING FROM GOD

I had read only a few words of Ammon in chapter 26 of the Book of Alma, where he is rejoicing to his brothers about the miraculous mission they had been part of in bringing so many of their Lamanite cousin’s unto the Lord, when my mind flashed back to Alma’s words in chapter 13 of his book.

And again, my brethren, I would cite your minds forward to the time when the Lord God gave these commandments unto his children; and I would that ye should remember that the Lord God ordained priests, after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people. And those priests were ordained after the order of his Son, in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption. And this is the manner after which they were ordained—being called and prepared from the foundation of the world according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works; in the first place being left to choose good or evil; therefore they having chosen good, and exercising exceedingly great faith, are called with a holy calling, yea, with that holy calling which was prepared with, and according to, a preparatory redemption for such. And thus they have been called to this holy calling on account of their faith, while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds, while, if it had not been for this they might have had as great privilege as their brethren.

Or in fine, in the first place they were on the same standing with their brethren; thus this holy calling being prepared from the foundation of the world for such as would not harden their hearts, being in and through the atonement of the Only Begotten Son, who was prepared—And thus being called by this holy calling, and ordained unto the high priesthood of the holy order of God, to teach his commandments unto the children of men, that they also might enter into his rest—This high priesthood being after the order of his Son, which order was from the foundation of the world; or in other words, being without beginning of days or end of years, being prepared from eternity to all eternity, according to his foreknowledge of all things—Now they were ordained after this manner—being called with a holy calling, and ordained with a holy ordinance, and taking upon them the high priesthood of the holy order, which calling, and ordinance, and high priesthood, is without beginning or end—Thus they become high priests forever, after the order of the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, who is without beginning of days or end of years, who is full of grace, equity, and truth. And thus it is. Amen.
(Alma 13: 1-9)

These verses give us a rare and unique glimpse of our progression during our premortal estate, when the children of our Heavenly Parents, such as those like the Alma’s, Ammon’s and all those who would become the mighty ones of God’s army, progressed to the point of being ordained to the Holy Priesthood and foreordained to bless the posterity of God during mortality.

It then takes only a brief moment before one begins to wonder about that veiled part of their own eternal progression and whether they likewise had been ordained because of their personal progress and the foreknowledge of God to teach His commandments unto His children.

Now that I have passed through so many doors
Now that there seem to be so few doors left unopened
I have to ask – is what I am becoming
What I was meant to be?


A quick perusal of Ammon’s joyful account of his mission among the Lamanites found in chapter 26 of the Book of Alma, gives a wonderful list of performances which can be useful in evaluating one’s own fulfillment of Heavenly ordained commissions.

Have I been an instrument in the hands of God to bring thousands into the fold of God?

Have I mightily thrust in my sickle all the day long bringing sheaves into the garners of the Lord?

Have I brought forth sheaves which can withstand storms and winds and remain strong?

Have I refrained from boasting in my own strength?

Do I understand that with the aid of God, I can do all things which He asks of me?

Is my heart filled with joy because I rejoice in my God?

Do I praise and glory in the Lord forever?

Do I understand the impossibility of giving too much glory, praise and power to God?

Do I understand the extent of God’s mercy and long-suffering toward the children of men?

Do I understand the blessings which come from repentance?

Do I understand the blessings which come from continuous prayer?

Do I understand the blessings which come from doing good works?

Do I understand the blessings of knowing the mysteries of God which come to those who are faithful?

Do I believe that God is mindful of every people?

Do I believe that God’s bowels of mercy are over all the earth?

Do I believe that God has all power, all wisdom, all understanding and that He comprehendeth all things?


Although relatively few of our Heavenly Parents’ children have been foreordained to fulfill such marvelous works as did Alma and Ammon and all the mighty and great who lead God’s army, we also understand the importance the Lord has placed on the widow’s mite.

We are reminded of the marvelous blessings which are promised to those who labor all their days and bring but a single sheave unto the garners of the Lord.

We are reminded that the contribution of even those mighty and great ones will be but a pittance when compared to the mission and Atonement of the Lord Jesus the Christ.

We are reminded that in the Lord’s work faithfulness is never measured by the number of sheaves brought to the garners of the Lord, but by the effort which was expended during their harvest.

We are reminded that there is no such thing as a minor Holy Calling from God.

When I have passed through that last mortal door
When I once again abide in a more familiar home
Will I then wonder if I became
All I was sent to become?



THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

THINK + PLAN + PREPARE + DO + HUGS + PEACE + JOY + LOVE + INTEGRITY + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment