Sunday, December 22, 2019

A GIFT TO REMEMBER

I am pretty sure that almost all of us have at least one time in our lives faced the task of trying to buy a Christmas gift for someone who seems to have everything. I think my sister-in-law, Wendy, thought of me as one of those people, because every year she bought me another more unique and unusual gift than the year before. I have no idea the order they came in, not that it really matters. They included a fork which had been attached to a golf shaft, because my body had recently made my playing golf a past pleasure and I wondered what I would be doing with my clubs. Her silly present left me to wonder how I was supposed to use a three foot long fork. Then there was a year when she sent me a delightful framed picture of a little girl with a wonderous facial expression as she first experienced roller skating. Actually, I have no idea what made her think that picture had anything to do with me except the girl’s expression indicated she anticipates going very fast and my speed was all in my imagination by then. Or maybe it was because of the happiness which always attended our being together. One year she sent me a metal plaque which could be hung on the wall which she labeled the God of Chocolate because I had taken that delightful delicacy out of my diet. One of my favorites was a wool sculpture entitled ‘Earthman’ to which she added the postscript ‘primitive, but still melting hearts’.

Although, none of the gifts have any practical use, many times when I glance at them each morning, sitting on the shelf just behind me when I am at the computer my mind is immediately filled with memories of Wendy’s warm, selfless, loving, caring and thoughtful character. She could have easily sent a common gift which undoubtedly would have long ago been used up, broken or discarded, but instead she sought out something which was meaningful in my life and which became a lasting reminder of her and how wonderful she was.

In just a few days we will be gleefully watching with anticipation hoping that the gift we bought for someone on our list will help them remember how special they are to us. Many of us have probably spent some time wondering how the exchanging of gifts between each other came about when it was really the birth of the Savior of mankind and we should be bestowing gifts upon Him. Perhaps, the reason we have substituted bestowing gifts upon each other rather than upon Jesus the Christ is because like no other person born of women on this earth, He truly has everything.

Taking a clue from my beloved sister-in-law, Wendy, I have pondered upon what could be gifted to Him whose world this is, and hopefully what I am wrapping up for Him will strengthen our relationship as did Wendy’s with me.

I know that whatever I give must be sent with all my might, all of my mind and all of my strength.

Searching the scriptures I understand the my gift must include all my thoughts, all of my words and all of my actions.

My gift will be found wanting if it does not include a commitment of all of my self, all my time, all my talents and all the resources which are included in my stewardships.

My gift will be less than all if my heart is not renewed through being broken and if my soul is not changed through the process of contrite-ness.

I know that my gift must be given with the ultimate sacrifice of the Widow’s Mite.

I know that my gift must be wrapped with the simplicity of the Drummer Boy’s tune.

I know my gift should be accompanied by me adding my adoring voice to angelic choirs.

If my gift is to be of efficacy it must be renewed both daily and everlastingly.

Probably the greatest gift I can give in reality is actually, the returning of a gift He gave to me when I entered mortality: my Agency.


I am convinced that every light will be brighter, every package more beautifully wrapped, every meal more wonderful, every decoration more meaningful if we add Him to all of our giving and celebrating during this season, which after all, has been set apart as a time of remembrance of His Birth.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

THINK + PLAN + PREPARE + DO + HUGS + PEACE + JOY + LOVE + INTEGRITY + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY = THE GOOD LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment