Sunday, June 7, 2020

BECOMING THE ONE

After speed reading through several war chapters in the book of Alma, when I got to chapter 48 I was struck with a memory of when Kathleen and I, in June 1978, were on an 18-day trip around the Holy Lands with a group of Church Education System teachers and their spouses. Everywhere we went we were reminded of the achievements which had happened under the leadership of a single person.

We saw pyramids, cathedrals, arenas, water channels and many other wonders which had come into existence mainly under the leadership of one person. Sadly, most of them also came about because of the extreme cruelty which the populous suffered under tyrannical leadership in order fulfill their dreams and desires.

In the chapter that I have referred to we find a beautiful testimony to the fact that good and righteous people can also accomplish great things in their lives.

And thus he (Moroni) was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians.

And Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery;

Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people.

Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood.


Now the Nephites were taught to defend themselves against their enemies, even to the shedding of blood if it were necessary; yea, and they were also taught never to give an offense, yea, and never to raise the sword except it were against an enemy, except it were to preserve their lives.

And this was their faith, that by so doing God would prosper them in the land, or in other words, if they were faithful in keeping the commandments of God that he would prosper them in the land; yea, warn them to flee, or to prepare for war, according to their danger;

And also, that God would make it known unto them whither they should go to defend themselves against their enemies, and by so doing, the Lord would deliver them; and this was the faith of Moroni, and his heart did glory in it; not in the shedding of blood but in doing good, in preserving his people, yea, in keeping the commandments of God, yea, and resisting iniquity.

Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
(Alma 48: 10-17)

Gratefully, by the time I finished reading these inspiring words, my mind went from thinking about those tyrants who had through cruelty built great monuments unto themselves and started to be filled with memories of those who during my life made the world a better place for untold millions of their brothers and sisters because of their unselfish dedication.

I realize that these people did not accomplish these marvelous works without the dedicated help of many, but the world should be eternally grateful for the inspired encouragement they gave to these contributions that were quite universally beneficial to humanity.

Mary Ellen Ahern - Public Library Champion

Nelson Mandela - Dismantling apartheid in South Afric

Martin Luther King - Civil Rights Champion

Mother Teresa - Disciple, Humanity and Charity

Mahatma Gandhi - Independence of India

Dalai Lama - defender of peace, love and joy

Rosa Parks - Anti-segregation model

Billie Jean King - equal rights for women

Jonah Salk - effective polio vaccine


There is another list which is personally important to me because it is made up of those who have made a profound difference in how I think, how I speak and how I act.

As I was about to write down the names and how these people have aided me during my mortal journey I was restrained by the Spirit for reasons that I only partially understand. What I was motivated to write instead was that, hopefully those who read this Thought will pause from their going hither and thither and ponder upon their own list of those who have contributed to their lives.

The title of this Thought came to me before I started to write, therefore, I feel it is essential I write a few words about Becoming the One.

Although I cannot eliminate ignorance and illiteracy from the world, I can be ONE who helps a neighbor gain the tools of knowledge and understanding.

Although I can't change the world I can be ON, who aids a brother or sister in their hour of need.

Although I cannot bring peace to the world I can be the peaceful ONE in whatever company I might find myself.

Although I cannot change the hatred of the world hatred into love I can be ONE who makes those with whom I interact with feel loved.

Although I can't rid the world of disease and infection I can be ONE who comforts my loved ones who are ailing.

Although I cannot change the hearts of mankind away from prejudice and bigotry, I can be the ONE who changes my own heart.


My prayer is that we all find our way to become ONE for a brother or sister.


THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

❣️THINK + PLAN + PREPARE + DO ➡️ GENTLENESS + KINDNESS + CARING + GENEROSITY ➡️ HUGS + PEACE + JOY + LOVE ➡️ INTEGRITY + FAITH + HOPE + CHARITY❣️ = 💞THE GOOD LIFE💞


No comments:

Post a Comment