Sunday, September 11, 2011

COMMUNICATION

When I was involved in the pursuit of a college education some of the classes in my major area of study became a springboard to a life-long interest in the area of successful communication. I had grown up with the idea that communication was a very simple thing: I talk-you hear, you talk-I hear, we understand. I was introduced to the concept that communication was more often a case of: I talk-you hear something different, you talk-I hear something different, we misunderstand.

As it turns out there is one filter or gap which causes the thoughts which I express in words to be filtered by my personal speaking patterns, the bias’ I have developed, the understandings I have reached due to personal experiences and my current emotional mood. Once I send these filtered expressions into the air they then go through a second filter or gap which causes the words I have sent out to be filtered by your personal hearing patterns, the bias’ you have developed, the understandings you have reached due to personal experiences and your current emotional mood. This miscommunication pattern can continue as long as we continue conversing.

I came away from those classes wondering if all speaking was a big waste of time. Eventually I came to believe that partially understood comments were better than not speaking at all. I finally came to understand that we are not trapped in this dilemma, but through the process of developing proper communication skills we can overcome the problems which lead to misunderstandings and miscommunications.

My eyes were opened and I came to the realization of why we so often hear such comments as:

That’s not what I said at all!

Why don’t you listen more attentively!

(After listening to a speaker) That’s not what I heard him say!

I never said such a thing!

I can’t believe he said such a thing!

Happily, I was also introduced in these classes to skills, which if applied, could help participants to increase the chances of being better understood during conversations. Interestingly, many of these skills require an active participation of the listener rather than the speaker.

Empathy: Strong attempt to understand where the speaker is coming from and why they would be saying what they are saying.

Acceptance: Allowing the speaker to be where they are on a given topic without being threatened by their current understanding of the subject.

Openness: Having an inward desire to improve relationships with others and avoidance of destructive reactionary behavior.

Leveling: Evaluating the importance of your involvement in this particular conversation.

There are also several things the speaker can do to help the communication process.

Avoid Dumping: Mortals are capable of handling only a few stress related concepts in a given period of time. We would be wise to limit our conversations to one or two such subjects.

Speak in Specifics rather than Generalities: “You bumped my cap” rather than “you are really clumsy.”

Be Tentative rather than Absolute: “You seem unconcerned” rather than “you never have cared about my needs.”

Be Informing rather than Ordering: “I wasn’t finished rather than “stop interrupting.”

Describe feeling: “That really hurts. “I feel depressed.”

Replace whenever possible Hurtful words with Helpful words: “I hope we can come to an understanding on this topic” rather than “that is just plain stupid.”

Communication will result in better relationships rather than dysfunctional relationships if both the speaker and hearer are more willing to openly recognize when helpful communication has taken place.

In a world where we are continually confronted with reports of contention and confrontation, in a world where there is so much arguing and antagonism, in a world where there is so much division and dysfunction it might be well if we all gave a little more thought to what we are saying and hearing, if we all judged each other’s words with more tolerance, if we were all more ready to respect each other and to speak kind words.

10 comments:

  1. This would be will-applied counsel for the ward as they listen to Mary Harris give her first talk in church today.
    :-)
    Mary Moorhead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presidente muuy sabio este mensjae, me gustaria publicarlo en Facebook, es interesante, puede mejorar los malentendidos de muchos al comprender que no siempre lo que escuchamos es lo que quiere decir.

    Un abrazo

    Kathy Yaneth Celis Cuadros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...this is my second favorite!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Sister Karen Wright

    ReplyDelete
  4. enrealidad es una teotia vastante interezante, la e lehido a un que es laga y saque la conclucion de uno es tratado como trata a los demas.

    alexander mosquera reyes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,
    This is so good, so right-on, so relevant to all of us (all the time), that for me to add something can serve little purpose but to detract; surely not to enhance or inform --- so I propose to add a few words now. :)
    The first filter you spoke of was of bias developed from personal experience. My thoughts jumped to perception. From birth we filter everything that enters our brains through the filters of our perceptions: our senses, and the ways we react to them; the way our bodies and minds respond to the stimuli bombarding us (it seems to me) gradually and inexorably causes our minds to build mental constructs by which we interpret our world. Although we share a world with one another, each person's experience with it is unique, and therefore each individual's construct for apprehension is unique.
    We tend to (I tend to) think that groups of people apprehend the world in much the same way. The tea-baggers see Obama in "much the same" way. The religious right thinks and feels about the "right to life" in "much the same" way. In reality, were we able to deconstruct all of these "much the same ways", we would find each person's "much the same" to be unique.
    So Bill, you can see how, with the world population quickly nearing 7 billion unique "much the same ways", that the world has become too da@#ed overwhelming for me and I have simply given up trying to communicate with anyone. :(


    Remain open but Be Skeptical,

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brother Riley, I will try to do better with this subject!

    heidi schwarz

    ReplyDelete
  7. gracias es verdad que si aplicamos estos consejos podremos comunicarnos con mas armonia

    MARIA ESTER ROMERO MOTTA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hermano William, le agradezco su mensaje de esta semana, es bastante instructivo para mi, y me deje una gran enseñanza.. hay algunas cosas que considero que son importantes tanto en la comunicación, como en otros aspectos de nuestra vida como son: saber decir las cosas de la manera correcta, en el tono correcto, por las razones correctas y en el momento indicado. eso es tan esencial como el saber escuchar y darse a entender con claridad para evitar aquello de : "los malos entendidos".. que son los causantes de tantos problemas en todo entorno en el que nos encontremos. La verdad es que aprender toda esta disciplina de la comunicación requiere de mucha entereza, empeño, determinación y un gran deseo por mejorar cada día..

    Que pase un feliz día


    Con aprecio

    Claudia Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excelente como siempre.
    Muchas gracias,

    JULIANA BARRIOS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uncle Bill,
    It is my turn to write the bishopric message for our ward newsletter in October and I was wondering if I could have your permission to include some of your thoughts on communication which were in your last “Thoughts for a Sabbath Day”? I really enjoyed that piece and wanted to share it with our ward members.

    Thank you,

    Dan Johnson

    ReplyDelete