Sunday, September 18, 2011

LEARNING

I think it was in the sixth grade when the idea of being a teacher started to bubble through my brain. By my junior year in High School I was determined to pay the price to pursue the profession of teaching. After serving a mission in Mexico and discovering that it was possible to teach the principles of my faith while supporting life I made movements to join the Church Education System. In my twenties I was an entertainer in front of students delivering fundamental concepts. In my thirties I was beginning to understand that the real power in the classroom was with the student and not the teacher.

Instructors can spend hours in preparation, honing their lesson plans toward a state of perfection, but the reception of precepts is entirely up to the readiness of the pupil. A person’s physical self can be present and seated, but their mind can be on the football field, on last Friday’s party, preparing dinner or lost in the fog of drowsiness.

Words fly from lips which haltingly express partially understood principles
Words fall on ears which seldom receive in the same way as sent
Thoughts are expressed in utterances formulated by experience
Minds interpret through the maze of the moments of past months

As the decades at the rostrum passed I came to realize to a greater degree:

That, attentiveness gained by entertainment did not necessarily make it a great conveyor of concepts.

That, laboriously construed lesson plans were valueless when delivered to reluctant listeners.

That, many times there is little correlation between what the teacher is presenting and what the student is receiving.

That, teachers may think they are in charge of the journey to be taken during a class period, but they turn out to be little more than map makers and each learner will determine the trail they are taking.

During my life I have met students from long years past and heard them repeat something they remembered me teaching. On many occasions I cannot ever remember saying such a thing.

Words fly from prophets, princes and paupers
Words are written by cleric, crown and clerk
Words are trumpeted by tutor, titan and trainer
Yet, it is the hearer alone who determines what is learned

Some years ago Elder Richard G. Scott, and apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, moved me to think about another teacher/learner relationship. He was about to deliver a lecture on ideas either never heard or long ago forgotten, but what I still retain from his counsel, was that we should let his words be a stimulus which would open the windows of heaven and allow the Holy Spirit to direct the real lessons we needed to learn that day.

Since that day in the conference room of the Gold and Green Hotel in Quito, Ecuador I have spent many hours wondering about my receptiveness as the Master Teacher has attempted to teach me Eternal Truths from the absolute perfection of His Omni Lesson Plan.

After my goal mandated morning scripture reading did I leave my cubicle before the additional clarifying promptings were received?

After pleading for guidance, was I too preoccupied with the cares of the day to hear the directions of His still small voice?

When in deep discussions with trusted colleagues did I pause to receive guidance from Him whose counsel should be trusted most?

Did I anxiously desire sleep at the end of a long day and thereby fail to hear His response to my bed side petitions?

I wonder how many messages from the Master Teacher have been misinterpreted by me because I wanted to hear what I wanted to hear and not the instruction He was trying to send.

He lovingly sends forth words in pure simplicity
Yet, I hear mixed and muffled tones
He patiently leads me on paths of shining straightness
Yet, I walk on clouded crooked paths

Whether in mortal classroom or Eternal Halls, on my shoulders alone rests the responsibility of being the attentive ardent learner!

21 comments:

  1. "Presidente Riley gracias por sus mensajes inspirados y las lindas memorias que tenemos de usted y su esposita.

    Ivonne Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rileys - I love getting your Sunday "Thoughts"; it is such a nice way to keep in touch with what your are thinking!

    Julie Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And more reasons NOT to like text messages... :) happy

    Christine Riley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Jill Burns Cox. I want to thank you for all the help you gave me as a young adult. Ken and I have been married for almost 30 years and are very happy. We value our testimonies. You did alot to instill that in my life.

    Thanks, Jill Cox

    ReplyDelete
  5. gracias mil por esos bellos mensajes..att.

    alejandra ardila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Presidente, hace tiempo que no le agradecía sus hermosos pensamientos. Sin embargo siempre los leo y trato de reflexionar y compartir lo que puedo de ellos. Estaba necesitando este mensaje en particular, gracias por ocuparse de quienes un día también fuimos sus alumnos en un tiempo que es un privilegio vivir. Reciba todo mi cariño y recuerdos.

    Un abrazo también para la hermana.

    Gloria Patricia Montoya Correa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a masterpiece. We miss you!!!

    Carolyn Hildt

    ReplyDelete
  8. As day turns to evening and evening fades into night we reflect on things that could have been; things that should have been. What could and should I, the teacher, have done differently and how much responsibility belongs with the student; even I the student/teacher? Clearly the Master taught perfectly, but many failed to hearken to His words. Many yet do. Am I likewise absolved if even to a lesser extent? Clearly the sower can only do so much with infertile ground.

    Socrates was purported to have said, "know thyself."
    Shakespeare said through the mouth of Polonius, "This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

    Nah! Those are ideals, illusions. No-one really expects to achieve them except for those few so self un-aware that they suppose to themselves that they have. :) And what do these things have to do with teaching and learning anyway?

    As Hamlet said later, "that is the question."

    Indeed it is worthy of consideration. :).

    Remain open but Be Skeptical, Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  9. e lehido sus mensaje, tambien soy de la iglecia de jesucristo de los santos de los ultimos dias. soy MORMON y tengo conocimiento de todo lo que me a escrito, de antemano le agradesco por sentir ese de seo de servicio con las personas que no conocen EL EVANGELIO. pues yo sufri un accidente , e sido atropeyado por un bus , que me mando contra un poste y e recivido en golpe el la cabeza, la cicla en la que hiva quedo hecha pedazos y yo sufri un trahuma craneo sefalico, gracias al señor,m el evangelio estaba ya en mi vida ,y eso fue de mucha ayuda, ya que cuando desperte de dos meses decoma la fe tangrande que tenia por caminar y hahlar era mucha ya que tambien habia poerdido el habla y el caminar que de invalido ahora hay que salir adelante con ayuda de DIOS..

    alexander mosquera reyes

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good one. Thanks for continuing to teach me/us. You're good. Hope all is well with you.

    debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mi querido hermano Riley: Hoy no más tuve la experiencia de escuchar verdaderamente, el orador estaba diciendo algo que había escuchado mucho y al principio me estaba desenten- diendo del asunto que incluso a mi me concernía. A partir de ese momento comencé por sentarme mejor y correrme un poco para poder ver el rostro del que me estaba hablando; pude ver el esfuerzo que él hacía para transmitir ese hermoso mensaje que yo estaba desestimando.
    Que Díos lo bendiga para que nos siga inspirando a desarrollar mejores virtudes en el apren-
    dizaje del evangelio.

    Cordialmente:
    Hermano Luis Enrique Pérez

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Espero se encuentren bièn.
    Gracias por los mensajes tan bonitos.

    Dios los bendiga.
    Lucìa Helena Aguirre.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Gracias hermno Riley, aunque no le conozco pero disfruto de sus pensamientos."

    Luis Enrique Pérez

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks president for another wonderful message.....there are still lessons you taught me that help me and prompted the spirit. Just tonight I read to my two boys from my mission journal about when I live in Cucuta and how I received an answer to my prayers while reading the scriptures. I just wanted to say thanks again for all you taught me and sacrificed while you and Kathy served as my mission presidents.

    Hope your well..

    Brodie Wood

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mi querido amigo,

    Que interesante mensaje, me has dejado pensando....quiero que sepas que por lo menos hoy conmigo has logrado que un alumno se estimulara lo suficiente para meditar y permitir que las ventanas de los cielos le iluminen la mente.

    Muchas gracias,

    René Jiménez

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muchas gracias, excelente.

    JULIANA BARRIOS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias Presidente Riley por esta hermosa enseñaza. Espero que todo el contenido de este mensaje nunca deje de burbujear en mi cerebro y en mi corazòn y que siempre pueda ser una alumna con una recepción muy atenta a las enseñanzas del nuestro Salvador y a sus respuestas, y desde luego a las enseñanzas de lìderes que como usted se interezan en compartir parte de su sabiduria con los demàs .

    martha angelica ortega tovar
    Un saludo especial a su linda esposa, y a un agradecimiento tambièn a su traductora !!! Un fuerte abrazo desde la distancia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bill,
    Thank you for taking the time to share these thoughts that inspire me to allow the Holy Spirit to direct the lessons I need to learn... and the lessons I attempt to teach.

    With love, Glenda Devine

    ReplyDelete
  19. "DEAR RILEY, I AM FEELING VERY GOOD BECAUSE YOUR WORDS AND YOUR FRIENDSHIP, THANK YOU BY ALL THINGS AND WORKS."

    Victor Manuel Holguin Montaño

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well,

    As one humble student of yours, I would like to THANK YOU for the year I had with you, and for the friendship that developed and the great testimony and strength you extended to me. I love the church and am so very thankful for it, for people like you, disciplined, sacrificial, and so exemplary.

    There is a really wonderful spiritual energy that comes from studying the gospel together. I love that! I feel humble and grateful for the time to attend classes. It is not always easy. Wish we were still closer......

    Best,
    Sue Ann Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  21. MI QUERIDO PRESIDENTE RILEY, NO HABIA PODIDO LEER TAN HERMOSO PENSAMIENTO Y ENSEÑANZA QUE USTED POR MEDIO DE SUS EXPERIENCIAS COMPARTE, NO SABE CUANTO DISFRUTE LEYENDO ESTE PENSAMIENTO Y A LA VEZ REFLEXIONANDO SOBRE LO LEIDO, REALMENTE TENEMOS UN GRAN MAESTRO QUE DIA A DIA, NOS ENSEÑA EL CAMINO A SEGUIRLE Y SOMOS NOSOTROS LOS CIEGOS Y LOS SORDOS QUE NO QUEREMOS APRENDER, SOLO LE PIDO A DIOS QUE NO ME APARTE DE SU CAMINO Y QUE SEA EL QUIEN ME COJA DE SU MANO PARA ALGUN DIA PODER REGRESAR A SU PRESENCIA, GRACIAS PORQUE SE A DONDE QUIERE LLEGAR CON ESTE MENSAJE. QUE DIOS LO BENDIGA CON CARIÑO Y ADMIRACION

    LA HNA SANDRA YANIRA CORAL LUNA

    ReplyDelete