Sunday, March 16, 2014

ONE FAMILY (part three)


The road is long with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where.

But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

So on we go his welfare is my concern. No burden is he to bear. We'll get there.

For I know, he would not encumber me. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

It's a long, long road from which there is no return.

While we're on the way to there, why not share?

And the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy, he's my brother.

If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness, that everyone's heart isn't filled with gladness and love for one another.


My first introduction to these words written and put to music by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell was when I heard it sung by Neil Diamond in 1970.

As you would suspect from the previous two parts of this Thought the song immediately hummed to my soul and reminded me of the many steps I had taken on my journey to embrace and make Universal Oneness my own, but also reminded me of the long and winding road that still lay ahead.

As I write this Thought today I am still struck with the length of road which remains on my personal quest to embrace all the members of humanity as my brothers and sisters.

Although it is not exhaustive there is a list of bumps I have found on my attempts to be ever enlarging my circle of those who fill my heart and who I love.

1. Struggling with the societally influenced prejudices stemming from the visible differences we have and the fears and suspicions which grow from these prejudices -- And at the same time offering up prayers to our Father that I might find a way to be my brother’s keeper.

2. Stumbling over the fences which are built up by nations who widen their borders and enlarge their armories to protect them from us or us from them -- While at the same time supporting and sustaining Living Prophets in their current efforts to be effective servants in doing the work and glory of our Heavenly Father, which is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of all His children.

3. Evaluating the dogmatic views of previous generations trying to separate the wheat from the chaff – While learning to distinguish between folklore and eternal truths, so that we can more honestly judge the value of those we daily encounter.

4. Putting the mortal desires of wanting to have a continuously grander and greater mountain of stuff into proper perspective of life -- While spending more of our limited hours publishing peace and being a peace maker.

5. Recognizing the importance of keeping the principle of agency inviolate -- While not succumbing to the ever present urge to give up the desire to carry my brother because of the seeming rejection by those who we are trying to lift and embrace.

6. Keeping the flame ablaze of the mission Heavenly Father sent you forth to do -- While fighting the loneliness which comes when family and friends continually find smoother paths to walk and easier wind mills to slay.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;… For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? (Matthew 5:44, 46)

As the second half of our mortal sojourn started Kathleen and I were called to serve the wonderful people of Colombia and to preside over the Colombia Bogota Mission. I little suspected how I would be slammed with the reality of how few steps I had taken on the long and winding road where my brother wasn't heavy. The result became that I was coming closer to a personal triumph of living a life of Universal Oneness.

A much more joyful part of the wandering road was opened to my view; the part of the path where we cease to be burdened by the obstacles of the journey and walk upon on the better part, where we concentrate on making the attributes of Universal Oneness our own.

1. Looking for the good and beautiful in all we see and in all we encounter.
2. Listening for and speaking those words which strengthen and build.
3. Being anxiously engaged in the good work of brightening the path of those who are struggling in darkness.
4. Bringing happiness into the hearts of those who are burdened with heaviness.
5. Being kind in every relationship with which we are blessed to be involved.
6. Understanding that everyone I meet each day is a child of God.

The road is long with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where.

But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

So on we go his welfare is my concern. No burden is he to bear. We'll get there.

For I know, he would not encumber me. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

It's a long, long road from which there is no return.

While we're on the way to there, why not share?

And the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy, he's my brother.

If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness, that everyone's heart isn't filled with gladness and love for one another.


Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God… (Moroni 7:48)

THOUGHTS FOR A SABBATH DAY – WILLIAM L. RILEY

EDITED BY – KATHLEEN W. RILEY

TRANSLATED BY – WALTER I. CRUZ

2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    Great thoughts! Great quest! I would that I could have the passion to love that you have always appeared to have; and the restraint that you definitely do have, concomitant with that love. I have extreme sympathy for the plight of others, and would that I were not so helpless, but that somehow has not translated into the love for my brothers that I perceive in you. There remains a beam in my eye that leaves a blindness ... a hole in my sole.
    You're a great man; flawed as is any man, but risen above those flaws to greatness. That's why, though I often disagree with some of your THOUGHTS AND wish to just break free, I remain your committed disciple.
    So there, I've said it. Live with the embarrassment that comes from unexpected and unwanted praise.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bro. Riley,

    I have never had the pleasure of attending your classes that so many of my friends talked about. But I have been touched at your recent posts…in particular this one. I so appreciate your openness and willingness to share your insights. Your 6 attributes put into words that which I value most.

    I hope our paths cross one day and I can share a smile and say thank you!!

    With great appreciation,

    anne arnold

    ReplyDelete