Sunday, March 9, 2014

ONE FAMILY (part 2)


As we all try a little harder to be kinder to those in the circles which surround us, the dream of Universal Oneness seems to continue to mysteriously elude us and remains locked in some ghostly everlasting place. In real time we practice true kindness in a very tight knot made up of those who converge within our restricted personal communities.

My sister Geraldine had, what I always deemed to be, a believing spirit. The principles and doctrines of the Gospel of Jesus Christ were always absolutes and she never seemed to be agonized by the struggle of having to gain a testimony of new truths as they were introduced to her.

As for myself, I always seemed to be the yang to her yin. All new ideas were met with doubt and skepticism, which were followed by, what seemed to me, a prolonged struggle to make my own peace with the principle.
I was always grateful that I seldom had to re-plow fields which I had planted and struggled with until they brought forth fruit. Thankfully, once my heart had been softened on a subject I was able to enjoy its sweetness from that moment on without further trial.

There are some principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which I, like my sister, seemed to have been blessed with, as a rite of passage, from my pre-mortal existence into mortality. The principle of the Universal Oneness of the inhabitants of the earth is one of those truths, which I was touched with by some power beyond my mortal capacities and which whispered to my soul that it is true and which gratefully was a field I never had to weed.

During my days of attending Primary in American Falls, Idaho, and Long Beach, California, we never sang what has become the Primary anthem, ‘I Am a Child of God.’ The words of this delightful song are from a poem written by Naomi Ward Randall. I somehow always knew that when I prayed to Heavenly Father I was not just using a catchy phrase for some unknown deity. This beautiful title had a familial tone. Therefore, when I first heard these beautiful words sung they came to me as a voice of remembrance not of revelation. (Romans 8:16, 17)

I am a child of God, and he has sent me here, has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear.

I am a child of God, and so my needs are great; help me to understand his words before it grows too late.

I am a child of God. Rich blessings are in store; if I but learn to do his will, I'll live with him once more.

I am a child of God. His promises are sure; celestial glory shall be mine if I can but endure.

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday.


Likewise, sometime during the formative years of my life the words of the song ‘O My Father,’ written by Elisa R. Snow filled my soul and sent chills up my arms and across my shoulders and misted my eyes as a sure witness of a truth I had always known.

O my Father, thou that dwellest in the high and glorious place, when shall I regain thy presence and again behold thy face.

In thy holy habitation, did my spirit once reside? In my first primeval childhood was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose thou hast placed me here on earth and withheld the recollection of my former friends and birth;

Yet ofttimes a secret something whispered, "You're a stranger here," and I felt that I had wandered from a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father, thru thy Spirit from on high, but, until the key of knowledge was restored, I knew not why.

In the heav'ns are parents single? no, the thought makes reason stare! Truth is reason; truth eternal, tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence, when I lay this mortal by, Father, Mother, may I meet you in your royal courts on high?

Then, at length, when I've completed all you sent me forth to do, with your mutual approbation let me come and dwell with you.


How could I have possibly had a Heavenly Father if I did not also have a Heavenly Mother? (Conference talk –Gordon B. Hinckley – October 1991)

How could Eve have been created in the image of Deity without a glorified Model? (Genesis 1:27)

How could there be a child without there first being a Father and Mother? (Acts 17:22, 23)

Sadly, it was many years before I was able to connect the dots between knowing that I was a child of Heavenly Parents and the Universal Oneness of humanity. (Ephesians 4:6)

I will ever be grateful for my call as a young man to serve as a missionary in northern Mexico. It was there, as I started the phase of my life where I was slowly and joyfully increasing the size of my personal circle of acceptable others, that my belief in the fulfillment of that dream of an everlasting place of Universal Oneness took on a brighter hew of hope.

(To be continued)

4 comments:

  1. Bill,
    Pardon my sendint this with little editing.

    As for myself, I always seemed to be the yang to her yin. All new ideas were met with doubt and skepticism, which were followed by, what seemed to me, a prolonged struggle to make my own peace with the principle.
    I was always grateful that I seldom had to re-plow fields which I had planted and struggled with until they brought forth fruit. Thankfully, once my heart had been softened on a subject I was able to enjoy its sweetness from that moment on without further trial.

    I was born into a family whose practices and beliefs differed from those of the society in which we my family lived. Not everyone, but the community at large seemed hostile to us. As I grew as a child I went through a prolonged struggle to make my peace with the principle that family, only family, could be relied on, trusted and ultimately loved. This level of distrust had been thought out and was justified. I was finally (even as a youth), at peace.

    Others with beliefs and practices similar to those of my family moved into our community. The community remained hostile to us but this new inner-community was accepting and even seemed to offer love to each other and us. I went through a prolonged struggle to make my peace with the principle of inner-community which could be relied on, trusted and ultimately loved. Outsiders could not. This level of distrust had been thought out and was justified. I was finally at peace.

    Horror of horrors, I was drafted into the military. Thrown into a level of forced reliance on those of the wider community which I had hitherto seen as so hostile, I came to learn that their fears and distrust had been similar to my own. I made allies, then friends whom I could rely on and trust. Some I even came to love. I reenlisted! During this time I went through a prolonged struggle (as a man now), with the principle of wider, national community which could be relied on, trusted and loved. We fought against enemies who could not. This level of distrust had been thought out and was justified.

    During my second stint in the military, because of a gift I had with language, I was given a rather unpalitable assignment which required me to interact with civilians and then ultimately soldiers of "the enemy" during peace negotiations. I learned to my surprise that these women, children, men and even the hardened soldiers had the same sorts of hopes and fears that I and my family had. After this assignment, as a civilian once again, I came to know immigrants to my own country who had the same sorts of fears and attitudes that I had as a child, then later as a youth. They clung to their families, their communities and religious traditions.

    Once again I went through a prolonged struggle to make my peace with yet another revision of my principle.
    I thanked my God, as I knew Him and had come to believe others knew Him that I had come to understand that until fields be re-plowed most of mankind will go unfed. A foolish arrogant farmer plows a field once and leaves it eternally, once plowed.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheer up amigo that's just the way we are made; the good news is that we are making progress, thanks to the help from above and to our sides.

    Paul Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "Thoughts" are brilliantly written! This is another "keeper"!!!
    I feel blessed to be on your "send to" list! Thank You!!!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm serious, Bill! You do indeed write extremely well! I don't know what you submitted to your English teachers that they wouldn't have noticed your ability, but never mind them! You are appreciated now, very much!

    I composed a few lines years ago and I'll share them with you:

    "To you who are writing
    Always
    Go on lighting
    Candles
    Deep inside
    the hearts of those who care.

    For their cares
    Will be forgotten
    As they see
    At last they've gotten
    Something lovely
    Something lasting
    Something rare."

    Love, Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete