Sunday, March 28, 2010

LOVE, TRUE LOVE

For as long as my memory goes back into the depths my lengthening life I have enjoyed watching movies. For most of those years it didn’t seem to matter whether the movie was good or bad, I just enjoyed escaping into the make believe world being portrayed on the big or little screen. One of the saddest times of my life was when theaters phased out the double feature format, even though I had come to realize by that time of life that they seemed to always pair an ‘A’ level with a ‘B’ level movie. This disappointment was added upon those which came with the discontinuance of Newsreels, Serial Adventures and Cartoons. I do have to admit to the natural censorship which seems to occur as one ages, and I no longer find myself going out of my way to watch a horror movie and haven’t really been able to get into the attraction which vampires and werewolves have these days as they draw many to the theaters.

Since I didn’t intend this week’s thoughts to be on the history of movies, let me get to the point. Not long after it came out in theaters in 1987 I was introduce by my children to a ‘happy ever after’ movie called "Princess Bride." Over the years our family has worn out one video of this movie and I suspect the second copy will one day have to be replaced by a DVD. I have to admit to having fallen under the ‘unforgettable spell that lives in my heart’ which the producers promised as they promoted this film.

"Princess Bride" is a story of love between a servant boy, Wesley, and his master’s daughter Buttercup. He always responds to her every request with the simple sweet sentence “as you wish.” This wonderful story begins in the innocence of youth and ends with the greatest kiss ever recorded. Now that I’ve spoiled the ending for you, let me tell you of some of the things which happen in between. As a young man Wesley leaves Buttercup in order to seek his fortune so that he can provide the life for her he feels she so richly deserves. With a good-bye kiss they vow the eternalness of their love for one another. Years pass and when Wesley returns to his home land he finds Buttercup promised in marriage to the local evil prince. There are many adventures which pass before the greatest kiss, where Wesley is continually keeping Buttercup safe from the designs of the evil prince and other life-threatening circumstances, but the part of the movie I want to call to your attention is when the evil prince electrocutes Wesley into a ‘mostly dead’ condition. His life hangs very near death until his recovery takes place based on the firm foundation of his ‘Love, True Love’ for Buttercup.

I don’t think I gained an understanding of True Love from this movie, but in a very strange way it does help me keep the meaning thereof in focus. Over the years I have developed a personal definition of True Love which goes something like this: True Love is something we give, not something we receive – True love is given to others when we do all in our power to help them become the very best they can be – All other talk of love is just a variation on the theme of selfishness.

After you have pondered on the meaning of this definition of True Love, let me illustrate some of those counterfeit variations by writing down some of the expressions we hear using the word love when we, in all honesty, should admit we are manifesting some degree of our selfishness. “If you really loved me…” “I am sick and tired of always having to be the one to say I love…” “The spark of love has grown dim and cold and maybe if…” “You seem to be asking me to give up my love of self in order…”

Annually, sometime very close to the beginning of spring, we commemorate another act of True Love that, although it has been depicted on film many times, is for many a story which is far from fantasy or fiction. This story also has a Hero who demonstrates his True Love not just for one or a tiny chosen circle, but for all mankind. He spends his life telling of a path, which if followed, will bring to any who wish to trod thereon a life of abundance filled with progress generating trials, moments of exhilarating happiness, personality altering stewardships, uplifting and sustaining fellowships and ever increasing light to help them through times of cloudiness and darkness. He then gives His life in an ultimate act of True Love so that although we may be ‘mostly dead’ we have the possibility of having a life eternal filled with everlasting True Love experiences.

It is evident that for me He who is the author and actuator of this ‘Love, True Love’ we have been stumblingly trying to express is the redeemer Jesus the Christ. I know He has taught and demonstrated that all expressions of True Love can only be to ‘thee’ and not to ‘me.’ Through Him I am coming to know that I can approach True Love only as I move away from selfishness and towards selflessness. Because of His example I know I must try to concentrate more on stewardships and less on personal successes.

Most of the time I am overwhelmed by the miles and seeming millennia which still lie ahead on my quest to inch closer to living a life filled with the True Love demonstrated by the Atoning example of Jesus the Christ. It is His Spirit which gives me the brightness of hope that I was brought into existence by a True Loving Heavenly Father who instilled within me the potential to increasingly be capable of being a giver of Love, True Love.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you Brother Riley. I enjoy your Sunday e-mails.
    Jason Mendenhall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful, Brother Riley--thank you!

    Happy Birthday! You have touched my life incredibly deeply with your unique ability to articulate profound thoughts, insights, and experiences, all while helping me to gain similar insight and humility in my own life. You have a gift--thank you for sharing that with us.

    Love,
    Laura Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this message. It is a great start to a day that wasn't going so well. I needed a place to be alone with my thoughts and prayers and saw your message. I really needed that this day to help me put things in the right perspective.
    Thank you for including me.
    Sincerely,
    Kitty Bingham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,
    As you know by now, I am in agreement with you about the redeeming power of love, and God is that source, for self redemptive love is finite and must fail. Not for me to understand the source but to accept and express that Love by grace.

    Paulette and I had dinner with a couple of friends who are atheists Friday evening. Since there were no other guests I used the time to launch an inquisition into their justification for their ethics. Both are highly ethical people if actions (how they spend the energy and resources of their lives) are an indicator. I didn't get a satisfactory answer but on the other hand don't expect that one is generally obtainable. Here's what I have observed over many years however, I'll address Christianity primarily because that is my primary interest and concern; the basis of my faith.
    If the gospel of Christianity is a gospel of love, once institutionalized it is not a love which unites people. It is not even a love which has successfully united Christians. The love for the world appears to be a love for recruiting the world to their own beliefs, not Christianity, but each to their own peculiar sects.

    I first became politically aware during the 60's. At that time caring people were marching and demonstrating for justice, I couldn't help but notice that a preponderance of the young freedom riders who bused in from the West and North-East were not evangelical Christians, but were Jewish and agnostic kids. They were the kids who cared enough to risk life and limb for those they had never met and only knew through awareness of their suffering. The freedom workers in Paulette's community in Arkansas were Jewish young people.
    In 1963-64 at the First Baptist Church in Clinton Mississippi I left a Sunday school class in which we were studying the book of John one morning to find out that our deacons had turned away a black couple at the steps of our church. Their skin tone was unacceptable for our church. At that time the gospel of John evidently did not translate into personal behavior. Does it today?
    What about the internal politics of this most Christian of all nations? Which parts of our country selfishly and vociferously resisted health care to 33 million currently uninsured persons in our own country? Resisted prohibiting insurance companies from kicking sick people off insurance? Those sections of the country least under the influence of evangelical Christianity managed to get a bill passed. Those representing the evangelical portions of our country almost managed to stop it. In your own state where was the resistance? It was in that portion of the state most Mormon and most Evangelical.
    What about peace on earth, good will to men? Who wants to bomb non-believers into submission and the world into smoldering peace and who wants to talk? Which parts of our great nation make diplomacy a dirty word?
    You get my drift.
    Not by their words but by their fruits shall ye know them. Were Christ to return today for a surprise visit, incognito, would he permit himself to be identified with any Christian Church; would he have nothing to do with the LDS; would He consider Christianity a term worth preserving? How would He communicate with his true flock? He would find some other way than through an existing church. Those who today claim the name of Jesus are full of pride and fraud. Their true fruits, those which they don't identify as directly church related, prove it. Yet can any human act be independent of God's Love, institutions not withstanding? Must "LOVE, TRUE LOVE" be sought elsewhere, to be more precise, everywhere?
    The faith of a heretic,
    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for explaining True Love, the way the Lord loves us.

    Daisy Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thoughts for today! Even though I have only been married for two years now I see the truth in these words and they made me smile today. Thank you for your wise words I really appreciate them.

    Love you Grandpa!

    Love,
    Katie Riley Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your thought, Bill

    Bill Berger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure do enjoy your thoughts.

    Vickey Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post. I'd never realized just how selfish "love" has been in my life. I'll try and focus on giving "true love" a bit more now.

    Your posterity is blessed to have all these beautiful thoughts to read over and over. I know I look forward to it starting my Sabbath each week. Thank you.

    Princess Bride has always been a favorite of mine too. ...and be careful what you say about those vampire and werewolves movies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for including me in your emailing. I really miss you, and the things you taught me have served me well. I am now Stake RS President in BYU 4th Stake that covers all of Heritage Halls. I draw from the things you taught me on a regular basis. I hope all is well with you and your family.

    Elaine Bridges

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful thought. Our family loves the cult film, and loves to watch it together as well. One of the best all-time, feel good, not too violent, heroic movies that is very “epic” in touching one’s heart in different ways.

    Lorena Childs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, for the thought, Bill.

    Alec Chan Tung

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Happy Belated! Thanks for your TFTSD post yesterday. Loved it!"

    Sarah Carruth Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy your thoughts and was likewise amused by this one.

    Suzanne Morse

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pres. Riley: As an aside my brother has known Rob Reiner, director of “The Princess Bride,” for a number of years and is currently working on a movie script with Bob.

    Blain Andrus

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Thank you for your thoughts on what is true love. Gave me much to think about."

    Colleen Janes

    ReplyDelete