Sunday, October 10, 2010

GAINING THROUGH GIVING

I’m not sure the concept is yet worthy of being etched in stone, but as I have added days, years and decades to my life I have seen growing evidence that most of life’s progressive steps are accompanied by a loss of something which was dearly treasured. Experience is gained only as we sacrifice youth, then the prime times of life and finally the golden years. A diligent quest for knowledge uses precious moments which quickly turn into years gone by. The joys of family limit individual adventuring and exploring. Building a secure tomorrow exacts a toll on fulfillment of some of today’s desires.

Another dichotomy which has drawn my attention as I observe contemporary and scriptural situations is the oft times repeated phenomena where varying results seem to come out of similar inputs.

We find children seemingly growing up in the same environment, being raised by the same parents; one embraces the values and teachings of his parents finding them fulfilling and helpful, while the other rebels against those same concepts finding the teachings repugnant and repressive. People can look at the same data and come to extremely different interpretations and needed solutions. While one finds comfort in the conveniences of living in a big city, others can never feel contented away from the country life.

I know the causes of these variances are extremely complex, but it seems that there is something beyond the external stimuli of our surroundings which contributes significantly to how we interpret and react to our environments. The rains descend upon the heads of all. Some are only capable of seeing and complaining about the mud, while others lift their faces to heaven giving thanks for the outpouring of this essential source of life. As the sun radiates upon the earth, some of the inhabitants bask while others bake. The blowing wind brings a shivering chill to one while freshening the air of a neighbor.

The source of these varying reactions to external stimuli seems to be generated from somewhere deep within each of us, something which exists independent of a nervous system which is reacting to the five normally recognized senses. This heaven born part of us seems to give each a propensity toward acting positively or negatively as we see, smell, taste, feel or hear.

As I try to meld these two concepts together let me first speak of those who seem to live in a perpetual Pollyanna world. Although to many, always having the ability to see the bright side of every coin might seem a desirable way of life, in reality it is necessary at times to know that too much rain, sun or wind can lead to very destructive consequences. Likewise, although we might at first think that looking at things negatively is on the wrong end of every continuum, in the heat of life’s battles we come to know that a healthy dose of skepticism can lead to the avoidance of many a miss step. Somehow each of us may need to sacrifice a measure of our natural propensities in order to gain a healthy interaction of yin and yang in our lives. At the end of our lives we should all strive to be able to join in the choir, adding our voices to that of Scrooge as he sings out at the end of the movie based on Charles Dickens’, A Christmas Carol, ‘that which I was I will never be again.’

After all, was it not the declaration of the Savior that the finding of one’s life would be conditional upon the loosing of the life one might currently be living? There it is again, progress countered by a loss. None of us should feel so secure in our current selves that we would be diverted from this divine counsel to be about the business or sacrificing some of what we are so that we can move forward toward what we were sent to become.

Gaining the exuberant feeling of being loved by others will come as a result of spending time in being of service to them. Having an environment of peace and calmness will be purchased by paying the price of controlling my tongue and anger. If I am going to enjoy the fruits of the gospel I must be willing to spend time laboring in the vineyard.

Like so many of life’s worthwhile pursuits, the understanding and actualization of the process of gaining through giving will only become ours after we have applied hammer and chisel and with diligence, permanently etched the changes upon our soul. However, through this diligence like all other things we are required to put off in order to make room for the better part. We will shortly but powerfully begin to realize the rewards which are coming to be ours as we gain dominance over ourselves. We will start to be released from the terrible burden of having our joy dependent on the whims of others. We will be able to see though a glass more clearly that all our neighbors, like we, are but works in progress. We will find new and exciting horizons as we willingly sacrifice unbalanced attitudes which we have embraced for far too long. We will be encouraged as we begin to glimpse the reality that Heavenly Father may care even more than we, the direction we are headed and the progress we are making.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for all your diligent, consistent Sun email Firesides! Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

    Thank you for your time, Sharon Carlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! thank you. As our children and grandchildren all left this afternoon (25 of them), Arlen and I sat alone in the house pondering many of the things you mentioned. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh life!

    Don't forget to email my hand-out, if it's not too much trouble. If it is, I'll get it in February, if you save me one!

    Thank you again for teaching me. You should have 2 new students this week that I recommended attend your class.

    Thank you again -- you have really blessed my life over the years!
    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Just what I needed today. Made my Sabbath Day even better than it was before!

    Lynda Morris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Bishop,

    Good stuff, DEEP stuff, but good. I had to read it slowly, and twice as I am not as full of “light’ as you I think. Great thoughts. Thanks so much old friend.

    John Swapp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts with us.
    This is an amazing piece of writing! You might consider sending it to the Ensign or publishing it where a wide audience can have access to it. (Hmmmm...you ARE on the internet...wide audiences couldn't be 'wider'...)
    At any rate, I am especially fond of this particular writing.
    I don't get a chance to read all of your weekly messages, but I'm saving them in a file for future days.
    I'm glad that I had some moments to read this one today.
    I relate to everything... esp. the part about a Pollyanna world.

    Growing up in New York, my way of looking at things is very different from the way US Western (lds) cultures seem to see things.
    Some 'Korihors' out there call it "negative", but, "I know where I stand...". And, in thinking further...Korihor DID lose his speech...but, I digress, as is my habit...I wonder if I'm ADHD...hmmmm...but I digress again. (Keep thinking to yourself : New Yorker, New Yorker, New Yorker...)

    Many people will give a talk and say, "When you look at a half glass of water, do you see it half full or half empty?" The narrator will then go on to explain how we should view the world with the positive attitude of looking at the glass half full rather than the negative approach of seeing it half empty.

    Once again, I repeat, I'm from the East. We're a different sort of people, I've decided.

    'I' see the glass as 'half empty'.
    This makes me realize that I should fill the glass (coffers, my soul, etc.,etc.) so that I am prepared for the drought when it arrives.
    I compare this to the parable of the 10 virgins. The oil (spiritual preparation) in their lamps, was insufficient (to me...that means 'half full') and when the Bridegroom came, they were unprepared.
    They were called 'foolish'.
    They may have been 'positive' about their dalliances with life.
    But to me, they were 'positively' foolish and the result had a 'negative' ending, even though their lamps may have been 'half full'.

    By the way, I love "Pollyanna" (the movie).
    Hope you and Kathy and everyone in your family are progressing well in life and finding much joy!
    (PS - Is that comment a Pollyanna approach to life?.....that thought just occurred to me...hmmm.....)
    I can see that I'm getting carried away again with 'words',
    so I had better end this e-mail now and send you our love!
    Jill & Tim

    (PPS...I hope you've met some other Easterners or my mental stability may warrent challenging...but then again, I do have almost 200 kids who keep me sanely insane...or is it insanely sane....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bill (and Kathleen),

    I just want to thank you for putting into words valuable wisdom which I also believe whole-heartedly. You are so insightful and I am amazed at your brilliance in writing ability. Thank you for sharing.

    Sincerely,

    Virginia Sedgwick

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Thank you for a lovely beginning of a joyful Sunday!
    Betty Draper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning Pres. Riley,

    Great and inspirational thought. Thanks for sharing. Hope you and sister Riley are doing well.

    Love,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill – Funny you should write this today. I have just recently come to the realization, as I have prayed for more joy in my life, I get more sorrow. It has taken me a while, but I FINALLY realized they come together. Not a pleasant thought, but true. Even though I would like to have the kind of light and joy that overcame King Lamoni, I’m going to stop praying for that, knowing now what’s ahead. Even the 3 Nephites did “not have pain” while they “dwelt in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world” (3 Nephi 28:9)……so even sorrow exists with the translated beings. Again…not a pleasant thought. I have also been pondering the words of Eve, “It is better that we pass through sorrow, that we might know the good from the evil”. The key to this statement is to “PASS THROUGH” and not wallow in.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa Rauzon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill,
    This could be a general conference talk..
    Thanks, Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great message.
    I just returned from spending the past month in Italy with one of my daughters and then joining an LDS group for a trip down to Israel, Egypt, and even a day in Turkey. It was a great trip.
    Your message reminded me of another sense and a new way I came to appreciate it while in The Garden of Gethsamane. While there, I was drawn to a particular olive tree and I felt its many markings and formations. It gave me keen insights into the tangible and spiritual touch of the Savior. What an interplay there is between temporal and spiritual, if we will only allow it to be this way!
    Glad to hear that all is well with you. I'm looking forward to getting back to Institute next week.
    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bill and Kathy - I really enjoy your weekly "Thoughts". That which I received today is particularly appreciated.

    Julie Moore

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bill,
    We so much enjoy your thoughts you send each Sunday! Ed used to do the same each Sunday evening. Ed just recently got his own e-mail address; so would you mind adding it to your list so that we both receive it? ( edmar1@q.com ) Thanks so much.

    How are you both doing? We're both doing "so, so." The years seem to be catching up with us, and body parts just don't work as they use to. Some wear out; some just slow down. We're learning to adjusrt.

    Marilyn Curtis

    ReplyDelete