Sunday, August 7, 2011

MAKING PEARLS OUT OF SAND

Since ancient times, pantheists have believed that God was to be found in all living things throughout the universe. Primeval tribes deified the objects of heaven and earth. Modern man with all of his sophistication stands more often than not in awe of the many wonders of nature. This enduring reverence is easily understood when we look around at the mystically unknown and the overwhelming grandeur which are found in every glen and upon every hill.

Along with the enigmas which we continually encounter, there also seems to be something beyond the senses which binds and intertwines man’s life with his environment. If we are attentive some of our most valuable lessons can be extrapolated from an earnest exploration of the mechanism of this marvelous orb and its inhabitants.

A sincere contemplation of the wondrous evolutionary conversions which the earth and it creatures are completing will add volumes to understanding the true purposes and possibilities of our existence.

Millennia ago, deep in the folds of the earth, extreme pressures of the shifting plates of the earth were brought to bear on deposits of carbon. Centuries of squeezing and pushing followed, until finally the black lumps were transformed into stones which were no longer soft and ebony, but hardened and crystal. As decades tumbled upon each other the gentle shifting of the earth moved the crystalline pieces upward where they would eventually be discovered and chipped into brilliance.

Although coal in its original state was useful and beneficial, when it was transformed into a sparkling diamond its desirability and value increased immeasurably.

The homely oyster, when its shell is invaded by an irritating particle of sand, puts forth a comforting solution to surround the invading substance and make cohabitation possible. When the solution hardens the oyster’s world is again put into upheaval and another soothing layer is applied. Patiently and slowly a pearl of great price develops around the insignificant speck of sand.

There are times when man either inadvertently or deliberately participates in these phenomena found in nature which leads to making his surroundings more loveable and livable.

Some years ago, while visiting some friends in a rural area of Idaho, my attention was drawn to a beautiful flower garden which was in a glorious state of many colored splendor.

I exclaimed to my host my appreciation of this flamboyant and fragrant piece of ground and then asked if I had somehow missed seeing it on previous visits. He ducked his head and snickered and then informed me that this was the spot that his pig pens had occupied. My memory was pungently restored as I recalled the less pleasant fragrances emanating from this area in previous years.

By laboriously drying and tilling, planting and weeding this former eye-sore and nose-offending land had been transformed into a place of repose and beauty.

It would be wonderful if before too many candles are placed, this lesson of life could be comprehended. Sadly, we seem to demonstrate by our tardy comprehension, that we assume we are all gifted with endless eternities to learn.

We pray for placid and peaceful existence, ever forgetting that it is life’s pressures which mold and refine our characters. We are ‘ever seeking for the good life, with our feeble attempts to surround ourselves with protective shields trying to keep out irritation; not fully understanding that it is the living with and overcoming of these nuisances which help build admirable strengths and attributes.

Through diligent searching in hidden crevices for enlightenment, we may discover that even those places in life which seem most repugnant can be cultivated until they cause our countenances to blossom.

Nature seems to scream from every cavern and across every ocean: Listen and Learn. The purpose of existence is to progress. Progression can be wrought only by change.

We are here to change the rough, raw and repulsive parts of our characters into that which is polished, cultured and pleasant.

13 comments:

  1. Once again, you make my day brighter. Thanks you. (I have to confess that in my hurry today, I was going to pass by your inspiring words and get on to some more urgent emails.---I'm awfully glad I didn't) thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful thoughts and the talented way you express them.

    :) Pat Profitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to have you guys back!!!!!
    Miss you

    Rosemary Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,
    The analogy of the pig pen is so fertile (pardon the lame pun) with potential that I won't even begin. Nice analogy; nice story,

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you wrote that one for me! Thanks. Have you ever considered condensing each thought just a bit into a you- tube mini talk? Honestly I think you should consider doing so as it would incorporate the fullness of your spirit and personality which are powerful.

    Sharon Cocanaur

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the timely message. Your perspective gives me a smile about this aging process -- I should get better with time. It reminds me of an Albert Einstein adage: "There are two kinds of people in the world. Ones who see miracles in all of life -- and the others." Thanks for reminding me of life's many miracles.
    Have a wonderful week.

    Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hermano RILEY hace días quería agradecerle por sus hermosos mensajes que llegan a mi corazón en un día tan especial como es el día de reposo!!!!!!!!!!!

    marlene martinez gomez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias por tus Mensajes, no te imaginas lo que me ayudan en mis momentos de angustia.
    Thanks for yurs menssages, you can not imagine what that help me in my moments of anguish.

    Jean Carlo Guerrero

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it kids! Thankyou!

    Bruce and Ev Ford

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Brother Riley:

    Thank you for this thought, I was having a hard time today trying to forgive and forget the past until I read this. It is like you knew what I am going through.

    I always look forward to your thought. I was much patient and more forgiving when I was attending your class. However, right now I just have to look forward for this message and try my best to read the scriptures and good books.

    It is never the same, but I am grateful that you are doing this for all of us.

    Love always,
    Daisy Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill,
    This is such a beautiful writing ! I enjoyed reading and then re-reading it again. Usually I save the re-read until the next day, so that I might be able to savor each and every word. Todays "Thoughts" couldn't wait for tomorrow. :>) I especially enjoyed the story of your friends flower garden. It shows that we never really do anything completely alone, nor do we necessarily know what will come from our efforts, but it takes many components to have such outstanding results. The kind that brings pleasure to unknown numbers of observers.

    I think this is the exact thing we were put here to do...not to expect to be born into a world of wealth and comfort where we oftentimes become complacent and unmindful of those around us, which can easily open Pandora's box to much of the ugly things in life. I believe we were put here to walk the "rocky road," so that we will experience the good and the bad things of life, knowing full well if we just keep trudging along
    taking one step at a time in faith, we will soon recognize what we must do to avoid the rocks or pitfalls of life. Why, we might even add to life, by learning to love one another! Then watch the rocks of the world disappear and the road become smoother.

    I certainly know how to simplify things don't I ? Not LOL! I don't mean any disrespect , but I do believe that we all have it in us to use the gifts Father blessed us with, to make our beautiful world even more beautiful. He, didn't give it to us so that we could destroy it , and even though we are in the midst of that very thing, it is within our power to get it back on track by using our brains to do so. We can't sit back and wait for someone else to do it for us...each of us have to put in our own hard work, and it does take all of us. Many components to make that sand pearl!

    You can rest assured that I will read your "Thoughts" again tomorrow and enjoy it just as much as the first time. Thank you for your words of wisdom and all the time it takes you to compile them for your faithful admirers!!

    Hugs and Smiles, Erma Neff Ward

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great message, Bill. You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself. Thank you for sharing an important insight about life.

    Jack Rushton

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Daddy, I read it!!! yes miracles...I read the family newsletter and the letter from Ryndan too...R u still alive? This was a very nice read for lunch today (another miracle, I actually took time to relax and not work through it today), and Ryndan sounds so mature, amazing the transitions a mission makes.

    I love you and thank you for the inspiring words, I will try to dwindle away at all the thoughts gradually.

    Erin Riley Laxton

    ReplyDelete
  13. great material and so well written.

    Thanks Larry Profitt

    ReplyDelete