Sunday, November 13, 2011

ENDURING TO THE END

When I was a young lad I used to spend hours building structures out of Lincoln logs and little red blocks. The Lincoln logs were made out of real wood and worked marvelously until they came into contact with any moisture. Since those were also the days of pre plastic Lego blocks these little red blocks were also susceptible to damage by moisture. One of the wonderful things about these earlier times was that these construction pieces didn’t come in prepackaged projects which were intended to build only one object. The only thing which limited what I was to build was my imagination and the number of logs or blocks I had in my construction chest.

After dedicating numerous hours building a pioneer complex or some futuristic tower, within just a few minutes my creations were demolished and I had all the logs and little red blocks back in the chest.

Wouldn’t we all consider ourselves to have had an amazing life if structures of Lincoln logs and little red Lego bricks were the only part of our lives which had taken a long time to build and then were torn down in just a matter of seconds?

How often do we see someone’s well-earned reputation crumble with one ill-advised choice?

How often do we see a pattern of honesty destroyed with a ‘chance of a life time’ dishonest deal?

How often do we see pains-taking well-toned bodies quickly weakened by neglect of diet, exercise or disease?

How often do we see years of savings eradicated by a budget busting spending spree?

How often do we see a life time of unifying family life scuttled by someone succumbing to a siren call?

How often do we see a talent extinguished by the cessation of practice?

How often do we see learning limited because of the termination of retention exercises?

How often do we see belief in Deity dissolve because we cease to attend to prayer and chapel?

Observing the rather frequent repetition of these passages in our personal lives and the lives of loved ones never seems to lessen the sadness which accompanies the demolition of an aptitude, acquisition or attribute which had been built with years of relentless proper placing of one bright brick upon another.

Simply because there is a frequency of these ‘life’s efforts’ eliminating activities does not mean that this is the way things should be. We should all believe strongly in the wonderful principle of repentance and perhaps we have had numerous occasions when we have had occasion to call upon the extended mercies. However, it might be well if we were to give equal awareness to the principle of enduring to the end.

During my more experienced years (euphemism for senior or old) I assembled holiday villages around the house and only removed them after numerous requests or pleas for the restoration of our home to its non-holiday state. I suspect if room had been available they would have been a year round Fung Shui part of my environment. Even though this activity did not in anyway ‘endure to the end’, never the less, I was able to get a little bit of understanding between the pleasure and excitement which comes from building with little red block or Lincoln logs and then their immediate destruction and the more continual joy and satisfaction which comes when the results of our efforts endure, if only for a season.

We might consider striving harder to keep our reputations whole through proper choices.

We might consider always making honesty the best policy.

We might consider being constant in healthy habits.

We might consider concentrating on needs and controlling wants.

We might consider faithful relationships to be of more importance that fantasies.

We might consider talents timeless and not temporary.

We might consider the ability to learn an eternal blessing.

We might consider the building of Heavenly relationships a daily responsibility.

Yes, repentance is a tremendously important, necessary and well used principle, but the principle of faithfully enduring to the end is worthy of consideration because of the constancy of joy, peace and satisfaction which will surely attend.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am in a point of just enduring, but now I will attempt to do it to the end, and well.

    Sonja Kramer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brother Riley,
    Actually, I don't know a lot of people who truely believe in repentance. One becomes aware of this as those who have stumbled badly cannot seem to be forgiven by people around them, even if their repentance has been made in public. It is best to go then to the Savior and experience his righteous and complete forgiveness. The interesting things is that those who refuse to forgive by repeating the offense to others over many years are only revealing what their inner spirituality is like. Unable to forgive others, they also cannot forgive themselves. Perhaps they don't know the Savior and his power to provide peace and lift heavy burdens.
    Your piece is very good and very thought-provoking--I like especially the part about keeping an eternal relationship.
    The whole concept of enduring to the end scares me a little. I remember an article on suicide many years ago in the Ensign--there was an indication that Heavenly Father will consider the entire person's life when judgement time comes, not just their last few deeds. I think enduring to the end can be the most beneficial way to live, as the Lord wants us to always be near him and listening to him.

    barbara petersen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent message. Thanks again for taking the time share your thoughts. Cherish ready them each week.

    Best,
    Scott Jorgansen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bishop Riley and Sister Riley, Thanks so much for sending this out.

    It was good to read about a lot of the things I've been pondering lately and the choices I've made along my life's path. I know a lot of it come from dealing with my brothers illness, moving back out West to take care of him and the ending of a long term relationship. I'm lucky I have the time for reflection now. Over all, I think I'm doing alright. Heavenly Father knows the path I will be taking but it's up to me to make sure I follow the right directions. Prayer and an open heart is my compass.

    May you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sincerely,
    Joy Crane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! Thanks so much for including me on your list.
    Hope each day is getting better with your knee.....soon we will be hearing about you playing golf again.

    Charlene Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED THIS! This is the first received and I am looking forward to many more! Thank you! Happy Sabbath. :)

    Gina Hathaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow........one of your best!!! I am grateful to be included. How's the knee?!

    Jan Pingree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, sometimes you send an email that makes the fog lift before my eyes. You will never know what these emails mean to me.

    Thank you for this email Bro. RIley!!!!!

    Rosemary Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Thought today my friend. I was a Lincoln log builder child, a Legomaniac,
    and a Hot Wheel kid. I also loved HO trains and slot cars. Always took ours to build
    and destroyed quickly by a crazy big dog, or a curious 2 yr old sibling.
    nice gospel application.
    How's your knee? It hasn't been as smooth of a recovery as you had been told, it seems
    from reading your reports. prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery.

    Meta World Peace on Earth

    Clark Smith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear President Riley, I apologize because of your knee, something is true, nobody knows what is going to happen next second, minute, hour, day and so on but to be near God garantees everything is going to be right.

    Carlos Giraldo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok. Muchas gracias presidente Riley y hna. Riley. Voy a compartir con mi esposa este pensamiento. Gracias de nuevo.

    èlder Josè Guzmàn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola Hermanito!! me llamo francia perez de Cali, Colombia, y lo conoci cuando mi hermano Rosemberg Perez, mostro una foto cuando prestaba mision, Bogota, Sur, en la cual aparece ud.y eso hace poco tiempo, pero desde entonces he recibido sus mensajes, los cuales me han parecido maravillosos y edificantes para mi vida . El Señor lo bendiga a ud. y a su familia, y les de muchiisimas bendiciones sobre todo de salud, y sabiduria para seguir enviando esos pensamientos tan hermosos!!!

    abrazos...

    Francia Stella Perez Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mil gracias estos mensajes aumentan las ganas de seguir viviendo y de seguir sirviendo a los demas,Corazón rojo mil abrazos y que la inspiracion siga llegando a vosotros como rocio del cielo para remojar las vidas resecas y talvez cansadas de vuestro projimo.

    con amor...

    Guiño

    EULISES LOTERO TORRES
    SEGUNDO CONSEJERO MISION COLOMBIA CALI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracias hermanitos, muy lindo pensamiento, un gran mensaje.

    Abrazos

    Kathy Yaneth Celis C

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inmensas gracias x sus Pensamientos me ayudan a reflexionar profundamente sobre cosas del evangelio.

    Hna Yaneth Beatriz Díaz Rojas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the two messages -- in English y espanol. I enjoy the differences between them. It demonstrates beautifully your understanding of the different cultures.
    Have a wonderful time reflecting on the greatness of Thanksgiving as we enter the holiday season.

    Love, Bonnie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bill & Kathy:Gracias por los pensamientos de esta semana.Que tengan un feliz dia .

    Armando Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your thoughts, this reminds me of all the houses I was involved with my ex. I could understand and appreciate what you are saying.

    Daisy Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Presidente gracias nuevamente por sus pensamientos me gusta mucho y le agradecería mucho que usted escriba en español e ingles eso mejora mi practica con el ingles

    guillermo sanahuano cardenas

    ReplyDelete