Sunday, July 22, 2012

SERMONS IN A SENTENCE

The Thought For a Sabbath Day you have been receiving the last two months were written well in advance as I prepared for my triple laminectomy and then subsequently my second surgery to repair the spinal leak which was a gift from the first surgery.

As my great friend and computer mentor Paul Maddox once wrote to me in response to my stating in the ‘Before Notice’ of one of my Thoughts that I wouldn’t be having any thoughts the next week: “I can’t believe you could go a week without any thoughts.”

I want it to be known that I have not gone the last two months without any thoughts. I just haven’t had the ability to spend extended time at the computer to write them down. I did have a pad handy and jotted down what I will now present as my ‘Sermons in a Sentence,’ which have come to me during my recovery period.

Gathering pearls of kind acts done is more beneficial than casting stones.

Open arms gather more love than cold shoulders.

Kind words add to joy more than biting comments.

Smiles bring us closer than frowns.

Mercy strengthens relationships while judgments weaken them.

Helping hands lift while closed fists damage.

Understanding unites while misunderstanding widens gulfs.

Adding to another’s treasure pile is better than digging a pit.

Sharing will always bring more blessings than coveting.

Spirit guided deeds are superior to selfish actions.

Accountability builds while blaming destroys.

Listening brings understanding while a deaf ear results in ignorance.

Open eyes give enlightenment while shut eyes will always result in dimness.

Patience profits while intolerance robs.

Ministering is more magnificent than managing.

Singing praises helps growth while critical remarks are deadening.

Faithfully looking forward leads to vision and progress.

Woefully looking back leads to stumbling and hesitation.

Giving brings satisfaction while getting soon leaves us wanting more.

Tender teachings are longer lasting than directive ultimatums.

Providential unforeseen blessings are often more beneficial than well planned adventures.


As these ‘Sermons in a Sentence’ might indicate I continue to believe that the most important part of our earthly probation is how we treat one another. I don’t believe that any amount of clean living, any financial giving or positions of leadership will go as far as loving relationships in preparing us for our Eternal Existence.

It has been an interesting year for Kathleen and me, but hopefully we are both on the continual improvement part of the experience. I am especially grateful that we once again are able to spend these few minutes sharing with all of you.

21 comments:

  1. Definitely a pattern to your thoughts. Thank you and I hope you both are on the mend.

    Charlyce Altom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your thoughts. Hope you are doing much better. God bless you. You are in our prayers.

    Allen and Carolyn Hildt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Riley,
    Thank you for your thoughts . You are so right about treating each other with love, it would make everything so much better. Hope you both are doing well.

    Julie Howe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muchas gracias, son valiosos para tus pensamientos.

    Alexander Ospina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bro Riley,

    Glad that all went well with your procedures! We are blessed by these thoughts every week and are grateful for the pearls of wisdom and happiness in each of these sentences.

    Thank you for sharing these mini parables with us. A spiritual treat for each sabbath day. The conclusion is like a bright peaceful sunset, so true and nothing we do on this earth is more important than how we treat others. The peace we feel inside is the evidence we are blessed with as we love others more than ourselves.

    Thanks so much for your thoughts! We love them!

    Best Regards,

    Janis and Jenn Cilderman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verypleased to learn that you are on the mend and cranking out thoughts; a very good sign. I miss your classes and enjoy your "thoughts". Your one liners are posting stuff; keep up the good work.

    Just when I prayed for things to improve; they did.

    Paul Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias Presidente....

    Estos sermones de una frase, son para mi un ejemplo de su perseverancia y sus deseos de contribuir, gracias por su ejemplo, por que a pesar de sus desafios usted sigue firme dando de su amor, quiero que sepa que usted y su esposa siempre seran mi ejemplo, por que me imagino las oraciones de la hermanita Riley por usted y sus ruegos pidiendole a Dios por que siga adelante...Y me imagino a usted habalndo con el Padre Celestial orando por estar mas tiempo al lado de ella proveyendola de amor y protección, y aun en sus dificultades pidiendo y preocupandose por nosotros los que de lejos leemos sus pensamientos....GRACIAS POR SER UN VERDADERO HOMBRE DE DIOS....Nuestro mundo seria diferente si hubieran muchos como usted.....Lo quiero mucho mi amigo...

    Carlos Navarro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill,
    This is such a profusion of edifying thoughts that I repent ever having the thought, much less suggesting that you would go a week without a thought. Another lesson given and taken: challenge the master at your own peril. :)
    After talking over these gems with Paulette, I am stricken with your challenge to excellence in a somewhat unnerving way. My personal experience has been that many of the exactions of these "sermons in sentences" have been tough for me to achieve. I see a lot of slipping off the path ahead, even as my tread has become more deliberate with age.
    Others by their very nature seem to pose problems as I struggle to form some plan to achieve them (and I so wish that I could).
    "Understanding unites while misunderstanding widens gulfs."
    "Listening brings understanding while a deaf ear results in ignorance."
    "Open eyes give enlightenment while shut eyes will always result in dimness."
    We all want to be enlightened, to understand; I know I do. But some things, far too many things, are just too complex for me. As I learn and comprehend a little, I seem always to learn and understand how little I understand; how much more there is that I don't get. In the end, I just don't understand very much! Never have, never will. My stupidest times in life were those during which I thought I did get it.

    "Accountability builds while blaming destroys."
    Here is a real puzzler for me, stuck in as if made easy to glide past it onto the next uplifting sermon; woops, no, that one was on understanding. :)
    How do we walk this tightrope, thread this needle, stay put on this slippery slope? This one is for mentors to do and demonstrate, but beyond the scope of all but the most gifted students. Not being gifted, (granted gifts, but always transiently, not for keeps. Remember how I couldn't repeat what I had just said in class?), again I struggle.
    I have witnessed enablement of weakness in progress and have seen the dismal results in destroyed lives. An enabler is often encouraging, loving, uplifting; but not able to require and achieve accountability, the development of personal responsibility.
    I have also witnessed the corrosion of needful bonds through blaming; equally destructive. Frustrated attempts to teach by giving "constructive" feedback can result in blaming and is too often done in a futile and frustrated effort to get the blamed to acknowledge a problem so that they will be able to move toward more responsibility and accountability.

    There is a unifying concept, a force, which can resolve these and other human conundrums. That force is love. Love.
    Every such problem when approached with love, God's Love, changes in nature, from human-to-human, to human-to-human-within-God's grace, and begins to yield to that power.
    Here too though I am challenged. Scripture uses the phrase, Perfect Love. Well, that obviously isn't my love. Paulette points out about perfect Love, God is Love. So how then am I supposed to understand it (back to understanding). In the end, seek understanding though I may, I must proceed with too little of it, simply trudging ahead with faith that God's Love and God's Grace will somehow fill a gaping chasm between me and my brother as I attempt to incorporate the edifying elements of these wonderful sentence sermons.

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Bill: Hope you're feeling much better.

    RQ and Susan Shupe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill, I'm so pleased to hear you on well on the road to recovery, I loved these "sermons in a sentence" You really have a special gift my friend. Hope to see you soon in the temple.

    Faithfully Yours,

    Tom Borgquist

    ReplyDelete
  11. muy bonitos, gracias pte Riley

    Victor Manuel Holguin Montaño

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're good. Thanks for sharing your "goodness" with us!

    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the words :)

    David Rubalcava

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love and enjoy your THOUGHTS.....

    Thank you Bill and Kathy

    Renee Lehman

    ReplyDelete
  15. gracias hno por estos pensamientos tan especiales, oramos por su recuperacion y recuerda para DIOS TODO ES POSIBLE

    gilberto antonio valencia Quiceno

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muchas gracias presidente,
    Pronta recuperación de su salud.

    Con Amor
    Gonzalo Devia Oviedo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brother Riley,

    I just love your messages! They inspire me...well your thoughts always have, naturally. I'm coming home this weekend and would love to say hi. What time does your ward meet? I might try and catch you then.

    Give Kathy a hug!

    Best,

    Giulianna Cordoves

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Bro. Riley- I hope your surgery went well, and I hope you're recovery well. I'll keep you in my prayers! -

    Stephanie Frazier-Senel

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bill, thanks so much for sharing. Great one sentence sermons. I'm glad you are on the mend. What an interesting year you have had. I look forward to seeing you once again in the temple.

    Jack Rushton

    ReplyDelete
  20. glad you are recovering. You are of great worth to those who read and listen to your inspiring words.
    We send our love all the way from ST. George Utah now. Moved here in June and loving it.

    Pat & Larry Proffit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brother Riley,

    You are always in our thoughts and prayers for your recovery that we may continue to enjoy our brotherhood with you. We are grateful for you and your thoughts.

    Love & Best Wishes,

    President Baron

    ReplyDelete