Sunday, August 19, 2012

THE OTHER SIDE OF REPENTANCE

One of my favorite parts of the Book of Mormon takes place between the years 279 BC and 124 BC during the reign of the three prophet-kings, Mosiah, his son Benjamin and his grandson Mosiah. We don’t have a lot of detail of those days, but we know they lived according to the Plan of Happiness, their leaders labored with their own hands so that the people would not be burdened and they universally arrived at a point where the Lord Omnipotent wrought a mighty change upon their hearts so that they no longer had any disposition to do evil, but to do good continually. (Book of Mormon – pages 140-157)

Many of the religions of the world share the belief that the purpose of mortality is to go through a refining process which prepares us to share an existence in God’s presence. For example, Judaism adheres to the principle that mortality is a time to live a life worthy of living in God’s presence and that this will best be achieved by making the world we live in a better place because we were here. In Christianity we consider success on the path which leads to this return to God’s presence is found by following the example and teachings of Jesus Christ.

I have often pondered, if I am to follow the example of Jesus Christ, how much time should I be spending on overcoming my disposition to do evil?

The New Testament is adamant about the fact that His life was a perfect walk upon the path of doing good continually. Therefore, following His example should indicate a life, which like those Nephites of old, focuses not on overcoming evil, but on doing good continually. There is also a strong indication that mere mortals will, like He, need an abundance of divine intervention to be able to approximate His accomplishment.

Somewhere during the inevitable changes which seem to occur in the religions of the world the emphasis of repentance has drifted from a concentration on putting on good attributes and characteristics to a definite emphasis on overcoming the evil tendencies of mortals. For just a few minutes I would like to consider the original process of repentance or the striving to do good continually.

THE OTHER SIDE OF REPENTANCE:
1. Rather than trying not to steal, rob and cheat I will strive to be honest in all my dealings.

2. Rather than trying not to use biting, harsh, critical words I will strive to speak words which edify and build.

3. Rather than trying to overcome hate and bigotry I will strive to develop a universal love for mankind.

4. Rather than trying not to put stumbling blocks and dig pits for my neighbor I will strive to make their pathways bright and build bridges to make their journeys easier
.
5. Rather than trying to overcome the lusts of the flesh I will strive to demonstrate true love to all by helping them become all they can become.

6. Rather than fighting the war against the propaganda of the world of junk food I will strive to treat my body as a temple and a gift from a loving Heavenly Father.

7. Rather than trying to control anger and its attending physical calamities I will strive to keep peace and calmness in of my life.

8. Rather than trying to eliminate coveting from my life I will strive to develop a greater degree of charity toward others.

9. Rather than cursing my brother for his differences I will strive to be grateful for the synergistic gifts which I enjoy because of those differences.

10. Rather than coercion, and compulsion I will strive to teach correct principles and allow all under my stewardships the privileges, responsibilities and accountability of agency.

11. Rather than trying to overcome pride I will strive to become humble.

Ten has always been my limit when trying to demonstrate a point, but my wonderful editor wanted me to add one more. Therefore, these eleven points should be more than sufficient to clarify what I have been thinking about.

A couple of personal observations:

As I have struggled and stumbled through the phases of my life I have come to realize that overcoming the evil I have been tempted with has been mainly an independent struggle with some help from others and some help from my loving Heavenly Father. However, in those hours which I have really concentrated on doing good continually I have come to realize that this path cannot be trod without divine intervention and guidance from the Holy Spirit. After all, this gift was wrought upon those ancient Nephites, they did not gain it by themselves.

As the phases of life have multiplied and the days remaining in mortality grow much shorter than those which are past, I realize that the Lord’s admonition from the mount to become perfect even as His Father in Heaven is perfect is a task I will be trying to fulfill well into the post mortal phases of my progression.

I realize now more than ever before that waiting for my neighbor to become saintly will in no way help my personal eligibility to dwell eternally with Heavenly Father, but if this mighty change is to bear fruit it must begin with me.

It took me a long time, but I have finally come to the realization that the positive work of trying to put on the attributes and characteristics of good is a much more pleasant and peaceful journey than when I was continually trying to overcome my disposition to do evil. It really is the very key to living according to the Plan of Happiness.

May the Lord bless us all with his sustaining grace as we strive to become as He is.

26 comments:

  1. Gracias nuevamente Bill

    Alexander Ospina Rubio

    ReplyDelete

  2. Presidente.. sus reflexiones son como el maná que alimenta y sostiene... que bueno poder leer este tipo de mensajes que sirven de preparación para guardar y santificar el día de reposo.

    ¡Gracias Hno Riley

    Fidel Castro Agresott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pte y hna Riley:

    Cordial saludo

    Muchas gracias por estos pensamientos para este día tan especial como es el día de reposo.

    Bendiciones,

    Gonzalo Devia Oviedo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we could have an institute class on this. I am still needing a mentor as I stumble through life ever feeling so inadequate at putting upon myself the characteristics and attributes of Godliness. I still remember the day when I spoke to you on having our hearts changed, (I usually feel that mine is somewhat hard) and you pointed out that it was He who changed their hearts and wrought a mighty change upon them. That has given me hope, but I do wish that I could feel a little more help from above as I try to put off the natural man and learn to stop judging my neighbor. The path of progression seems so very slow that sometimes I am wanting to give up. And I seem to have more questions than answers all of the time.

    Still missing you,

    Julie Hill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to take a moment to thank you.



    I have been reading your thoughts for some time now and each and every one come with such positive and thoughtful insights. After reading, I am left with the beginning of new thoughts and ideas but the biggest blessing is that I leave your thoughts with the idea that “I can do that” – “I see how that can help” – “Yes, I am doing okay” – “Wow, what a great idea” – “Oh - I have been making this too difficult”. You have a gift of teaching and I just wanted to thank you for taking your time for me -

    Maureen Sidley

    ReplyDelete
  6. So loved this. Thank you.

    Amen

    Susan Maestretti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brother Riley....great and inspiring words that rally hit the spot today.

    Warm regards,

    Michael Bingham

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que agradable y placentero es leer y meditar tus pensamientos basados en la experiencia de los Nefitas alplicar el discurso del Rey Benjamin a sus propias vidas y ver el cambio de hombres naturales a espirituales.

    Gracias.Estaremos de regreso a Utah el 24 y la bendicion de Ethan Luke ASnderson sera el proximo domingo en Salem UT.

    Abrazos Gomez
    Armando

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really struck a positive note w me and Steve, and went along with our other meetings today. So grateful for your reflections and writings.

    Bless you both,

    SueAnn Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  10. gracias Hermano Riley por sus pensamiento , realmente edificantes ...

    un abrazo desde Ibague con toda mi familia

    SANDRA MERCEDES BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
  11. hola hno rilay

    gracias por tan buen mensaje, me ayudara bastante. Solo anexaria que la felicidad esta tambien en el servicio desinteresado que brindo a mis semejantes. visitad (ayudar,socorrer, servir, animar,fortalecer) a los huerfanos y a las viudas y mantenernos sin mancha del mundo.

    hasta chao.

    gilberto antonio valencia Quiceno

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola Hermano............

    Deseo de corazon que se encuentre bien junto a su familia........le agradezco por tan heromosos pensamientos..es asi,solo dedicarnos a mejorar nuestros defectos y nada mas..porque he visto que cuando nos fijamos mucho en los errores de los demas nos volvemos tristes y amargados.solo ser alguien que de alegria a las personas que nos rodean.....gracias de nuevo y un abrazo

    Clara Torres Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks again to you and your wonderful editor....much to think about during this week. While considering how marvelous it was that you came up with the eleven examples, I wondered if it Is easier to first think of the negatives, then improve with the positives; or is it easier to think of the positives then find the negatives? Maybe that is a measure of where we are in that process of becoming....either way, repentance can not come without the help of the Holy Spirit, and that brings me great hope that it can continue.

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Querido hermano Riley

    No les conosco y no se por que me llegan sus correos o puede que no lo recuerde pero es una bendicion tan bonita aprender de usted y sus pensamientos, pienso que su familia debe ser muy bendecida de tenerle a usted.

    Muchas gracias por compartir sus pensamientos y amor por el evangelio.

    Solo queria que lo supuera

    GRACIAS

    LUCIA LEON

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bill,
    I am in agreement with everything that you wrote. However since I've been thinking about a couple of these 11, I thought rather than let you skate by for a week unmolested, I'd add a few comments. Then the comments grew like weeds in a garden. :( Don't worry, they're a blight easily removed. 

    The New Testament is adamant about the fact that His life was a perfect walk upon the path of doing good continually.

    (If we could somehow be secure that these adamant disciples were themselves perfect in the telling of their experiences with their Lord, then out faith in their account would be complete. As it is, we can only wonder.)

    Therefore, following His example should indicate a life, which like those Nephites of old, focuses not on overcoming evil, but on doing good continually. There is also a strong indication that mere mortals will, like He, need an abundance of divine intervention to be able to approximate His accomplishment.

    THE OTHER SIDE OF REPENTANCE:

    1. Rather than trying not to steal, rob and cheat I will strive to be honest in all my dealings.
    (Remembering that honor is the core of honesty, when questioned by the Gestapo, and I know that my Jewish wife is hiding in my home, what do I say as one who, following the example of my Lord, cannot lie?
    Honesty is not relative situationally, it is rather "related-to" one's honor. What honor is that? That honor which is dependent on one's commitment (or perhaps love) for the greater Love. Here once more your theme, your calling, your commitment, your life is and must be guided, here as everywhere, by LOVE.

    2. Rather than trying not to use biting, harsh, critical words I will strive to speak words which edify and build.

    (Seeming is not being. Words which mollify may not edify. His words were not weak words. As in training for a very demanding sport, the building and edifying process may seem harsh. Let me never, ever, ever, enable weakness by my own weak inability to confront, and to help a needy other confront, rather than avoid that which must be acknowledged for one's greater good; as you have recommended, always with His example before us. My goal is not to be loved, but to love - - as I am Loved.

    3. Rather than trying to overcome hate and bigotry I will strive to develop a universal love for mankind.

    (Amen! We each see ourselves as all eat up with love. Our institutions help us with that feel-good feeling. This is universally true, acknowledged among all christian institutions with which I'm familiar; but not usually actualized in us.)

    4. Rather than trying not to put stumbling blocks and dig pits for my neighbor I will strive to make their pathways bright and build bridges to make their journeys [easier]

    (successful, profitable, productive)?

    Continued

    ReplyDelete
  16. 5. Rather than trying to overcome the lusts of the flesh I will strive to demonstrate true love to all by helping them become all they can become.
    (To deny myself chocolate is to eventually regress; like wack-a mole, if the lust does not break down with chocolate, then it will pop up elsewhere. To strive to become (for a purpose) is to refocus attention and mental energy so that overcoming becomes a byproduct, a fringe benefit, without obsession on what is denied. Where a problem arises is when overcoming rather than becoming becomes the motivator, the cause. This is not a chicken and egg issue, it is more like the goose who laid golden eggs.)

    6. Rather than fighting the war against the propaganda of the world of junk food I will strive to treat my body as a temple and a gift from a loving Heavenly Father.

    (Successfully share the latter and victory in the war is certain. Prioritize the former; and defeat is assured.)

    7. Rather than trying to control anger and its attending physical calamities I will strive to keep peace and calmness in of my life.

    (By what means? Again, if the goal is peace and calmness, it will fail. If the goal is to follow that gravitational-like pull of Love, peace and calmness must follow. It is a by-product, not a goal.)

    Continued

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 8. Rather than trying to eliminate coveting from my life I will strive to develop a greater degree of charity toward others.

    (After lo these many years, I do not fully understand the emphasis on not-coveting as repeated so piously by those who teach it and taught it to me. It has struck a dissonant chord for me. I know it's not a nice word, but what is it's meaning; not the dictionary meaning (I have looked it up in a few dictionaries), but as used by the pious and we their flock?
    We are a gregarious species. We know what is normal by observation: how should we and others live; what should we and others have? To see others with more and to want more seems natural as it, (by observation), seems to me. When this want of what others have becomes inordinate or wrongful, thus coveting, it's antisocial. Most of the successful people in our society, and those whom we hold up and admire seem to have a stronger than average desire to have more than others. An inordinate desire that drives them. Sometimes this is financial or political power. Sometimes it is social or religious influence. But in any case it is a desire for more. Often it is simply justified as being all that we can be. Often for a greater good: clan, country, earth, mankind, the service of god.
    What is particularly puzzling and disturbing to me is that those christian institutions, including one which I have come to admire most, seem to promote those men who exemplify these very characteristics. One such man is currently running for president and not only his own church, but the whole christian south has apparently self-enlisted to support him as their champion. For many he exemplifies what they wish they could be, what they covet to gain by any (Pharisaically) lawful means, as they perceive him to have done. And is it from these trusted guides that we, the flock, learn how awful coveting is? Example being a much more powerful teacher than verbal instruction. Forgive me some dissonance.
    Yet as you would have me, I would prefer to focus, not as they but as you have taught, and hope I am being led by Another, to the Greater Good than to greater goods.

    9. Rather than cursing my brother for his differences I will strive to be grateful for the synergistic gifts which I enjoy because of those differences.

    Amen again! Keeping in mind as you often do that among the good there is a better and best way. I occasionally envy (covet) those societies which beat their disobedient wives into submission, my own wife being so independent, exemplifying an over-abundance of agency :). In such societies I understand that beatings are quite rare, a wife understanding what is expected and the consequences. Even with such beneficial results I concede that there may yet be a better way. So I must work to find the proper synergy between my and my neighbors views of marriage.
    It this seemed too much tongue in cheek, a similar, and closer to home effort must be made for my married neighbors who are gay. I confess to a somewhat intransigent primitive view of marriage, yet there are those who believe that they have advanced beyond that to a less judgmental, more accepting way.
    Are we backward? Have we conceded enough? Too much?

    10. Rather than coercion, and compulsion I will strive to teach correct principles and allow all under my stewardships the privileges, responsibilities and accountability of agency.

    (I recoil at the loss of control inflicted in me by another's agency.)

    11. Rather than trying to overcome pride I will strive to become humble.

    (Keeping always in mind that self-esteem is not pride, nor cowardice humility.)

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Muchas gracias por responder mi correo es una bendicion que comparta sus pensamientos conmigo
    Creo que fue por el face es verdad muchas gracias a usted y su esposa
    Por ello me alegra que hayan servido en Colombia, espero sigan bendiciendonos a todos con sus reflecciones del evangelio.

    Saludos a su esposa hijos y nietos

    Atte Lucia Leon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brother Riley,

    I recently was asked to give a talk in our Sacrament meeting in Spring Creek, Nevada (outside of Elko) where Christy and I currently live. I am letting you know that I was given the topic of "How we can make the Atonement Effective in our lives" and will be using your eleven points below as statements for keeping our everyday life on track. If you have any desires for me not to use them, I will review my emails in the morning and take the statements out before I give the talk.

    Thanks,

    Mark Childs

    ReplyDelete
  21. And within in the "cocoon" of membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we can find most frequently the society which strives for that goal --- to be Christlike. It is a society that does reach out to the world: and sadly, outside infuluence - does affect us. Hopefully, we can be led to the more wise decision making in our life decisions. Your thoughts are very true and sobering. Thanks again for thought provoking material.

    Jean Seavey

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just wanted to say thank you for these weekly wonderful messages! They are truly inspired!

    Kristin Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bill,

    Thank you for this and all of your teaching!

    Jay Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful thoughts, Bill and Kathy....thank you for your dedication

    Renee Lehman

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grand slam home run! Perfect.....

    Kathy Eisenbise

    ReplyDelete
  26. Life is all...Smoke & Mirrors...no more blindfolds, please. None so blind as him who will not see. Real life...much better than make believe...when we find our way out of the maze of mirrors!!!

    Patricia Walters

    ReplyDelete