Sunday, June 9, 2013

WITH WHOM AM I NUMBERED

During the final days of his earthly sojourn the ancient prophet Lehi feebly laid his hands upon the head of Zoram, who had spent the early years of his life as a servant/slave of the unrighteous governor of Jerusalem, Laban, and blessed this true friend of his son Nephi with adoption into his family and, therefore, as a member of the House of Israel.

Although few of us are able to fully appreciate the momentousness of this blessing, we can imagine somewhat the significance to Zoram’s posterity. By being numbered with the seed of Nephi, they were freed from the bonds of servitude, they became co-heirs of the royal Priesthood and the joys of freedom could perpetually swell in their hearts.

From father Lehi, Zoram had been given an inheritance which not only had great importance during mortality of things which would mold and decay, but also a gift of those things of eternal and everlasting significance.
The rereading of this account always gives me opportunity to pause and ponder the influence those groups I may be numbered with are having on my mortal and eternal life.

Does the throng I mingle with go forth demanding an ample share of earthly riches in order to assure their continued comforts and pleasures, or is my crowd concerned with increasing the comfort of the weary and lifting the standard of the lives of the poor and needy?

Have I cast my lot with those who manipulate their fellow beings, subtly seducing them to believe their own special interpretation of ‘right’, or have I joined with the band who subscribe to the understanding that we are all but stumbling fellow seekers, trying to find light in darkness in constant need of guides who see afar off?

Do those around me have their finger rigidly outstretched pointing out the blemishes of their neighbors or am I blessed with the companionship of those concerned with self-evaluation and introspection?

Does the group I run with live life as if it were an amusement park, perpetually lining up at the gateway to the next ride, seeking some unattainable illusive pleasure, or do I enjoy the company of those who have their hearts full of joy, induced by dedication to the Lord’s labors of love?

Am I constantly surrounded by those who believe that they have been given the right to reign by administering death and destruction to obtain their destinies or do I find my friends speaking of finding ways to bring peace through showing forth an abundance of kindness and love?

Do those with whom I am numbered continually make choices which place them in chains of captivity or am I with those who make choices based on truths which will make them free?

Do I find my days filled with negative comments about all of the world’s ills because of the words which spew from the months of those who surround me or am I constantly reminded of the many positive and blessed conditions of life by those who accompany my daily walk?

Do my fellows still wander to and fro drifting with every breath of wind or do I walk with those who find their steps firmly planted on the pathway of the gospel of Jesus Christ?

Men have ever been and will ever be both a reflection of and reflector of, the groups they have inherited or have chosen to be numbered among.

The passing of years alters the makeup of our peers, but many times present company is both a fulfillment of past associations and a foreshadowing of future acquaintances.

The understanding that we are both blessed and cursed by the associations we enjoy or suffer through, should cause us to indulge in genuine inspection of those we are presently numbered among.

The further reality that the cleaving of lives on this earth becomes a determining fore-ordination of our eternal companionships, should be sufficient cause to motivate us to choose well this day with whom we are to be numbered.

If we were to pause and consider the effect our choices of those we are numbered among will have as a lasting legacy upon our children and our children’s children, I believe we would not only choose more carefully our earthly crowd, but earnestly seek Divine guidance as we align ourselves with those with whom we are to be eternally numbered.
It well might be that we are not only saved by what we believe, but also with whom we mingle and share beliefs.

19 comments:

  1. Gracias por los pensamientos y las reflexiones sobre el efecto Zoram.Quien fue bendecido por seguir a Nefi y salvarse de la destruccion cuando Nabucodonosor invadio Jerusalen.Zoram perpetuo su linaje al casarse y tener hijos con la hija mayor de Ismael.Sus descendientes estan esparcidos por toda America y el mundo.
    Un abrazo y saludo cordial para Ti y la Hermana Kathy.

    Armado Gomez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill.

    Tu reflexión hace posible la introspección. Gracias.

    Alexander Ospina Rubio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que lindoo.. graciasss.

    Ana Erika P Escobar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muchas gracias me fortalece

    Alexandra Ramos Anturi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Es verdad lo dice presidente. Personalmente serè màs conciente del grupo en el que estarè y quièn serè yo. Es lo que nos enseñò precisamente nuestro presidente de estaca esta semana en la reuniòn de obispados.

    Roberto Guzman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Hermano.......Muchas gracias por compartir...es verdad.necesitamos ver la verdadera razon para vivir bien.....a pesar de las pruebas.....disfrutar cada dia.........Gracias

    clarita torres gonzales

    ReplyDelete






  7. QUIERO SER CONTADA ENTRE LOS FIELES SEGUIDORES DE JESUCRISTO, ESE SER`A EL MAYOR GALARDON.

    Maria Victoria Ospina Grisales

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gran reflexión gracias nuevamente.

    gladys pimentel

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Does the throng [church] I mingle with go forth demanding an ample share of [my] earthly riches?

    Have I cast my lot with those who manipulate their fellow beings, subtly seducing them to believe their own special interpretation of ‘right’ [true]?

    am I blessed with the companionship of those concerned with self-evaluation and introspection?

    Am I constantly surrounded by those who believe that they have been given the right to reign by administering death and destruction?

    Do those with whom I am numbered continually make choices which place them in chains of captivity [of belief, of thought]?”



    One in a hundred, perhaps less will honestly “indulge in genuine inspection of those we are presently numbered among.”


    Your faithful follower,

    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill, I came across this note sent on 4/12/2011.
    Prayer is Powerful.

    I prayed daily and fervently for strength and endurance and speed. I ate and slept well and believed that the Lord would bless me for my steadfastness. As the time for my testing approached I prayed morning, noon and night. I prayed long and earnestly that the Lord would let me win the race, but only so that his name would be glorified through my victory.

    My friend Riley trained daily for the contest. He dieted and ran daily. He did weight training. As the time for the contest approached he trained mornings and evenings. He prayed that the Lord would help him be aware of whatever he needed to attend to in order to be prepared and that he might take care to stay healthy and fit.

    On the day of the long race I was a little over weight and perhaps less strong than some of the other contestants, but the Lord would be my strength and my salvation. That was His promise after all. With God running at my side, how could I fail?

    Therein lies the miracle of faith.

    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The race is almost done. I shall not place well I fear. I pray now that I may yet somehow learn and grow (perchance actually change) as a result of your THOUGHTS and responses and perhaps reciprocate with some value, however meager.
    But alas Bill, I fear I am among the we who believe ourselves to be open, growing, making progress, as we merely paste new mud into the cracks of our tired old edifices to keep them intact.

    --
    Paul Maddox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Es muy buena esta escritura para reflexionar....

    Obeida Diaz Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so wonderful. You sure are reflecting on your life a lot. Hope you are not going anywhere soon!

    Kellee Kiley

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my all-time favorites! Thanks again for sharing your "brilliancy" with us!

    Debi Woffinden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Noitaborp." It's what it's all about.

    Steven Nord

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cuan ciertas esas reflexiones... siempre he tenido la sensibilidad de rodearme de gente buena, y estoy seguro que esa es una bendicion de los cielos para ayudarme y ser preservado de lo que me dañe y aleje del plan eterno del Dios Supremo!!!

    Sinceramente...gracias!

    Julio Medina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muchas gracias hermano por tan lindos mensajes ,es un placer poder leerlos cada semana ,son de gran enseñanza para mi .

    Marta Cristina Mujica

    ReplyDelete
  17. SUS MENSAJES SON CAPSULAS DE OXIGENO ,EN VERDAD THANKS.

    Gicela Robledo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gracias por estos bellos mensajes!!!!

    Paola Alavez

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this disertation ~~ I especially appreciate your mentioning Zoram and the blessings he and his posterity received because he chose to go with Nephi. I had not given this a great deal of thought until you mentioned it, and now you have caused me to reflect on my own life and ponder upon the influence people have on me!
    Thank you, dear Friend!

    Carla Johnson

    ReplyDelete